Livonia/detroit guitar shops?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fasteddie42, Sep 11, 2019.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Heading down the mitten to Livionia for a job.

Client would rather ship me down and put me up instead of shopping for another contractor ( he's got some houses up north).

Sooooo

Any must see guitar/pawn/cool stuff shops I should be aware of??

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

I've heard Motor City Guitar is good. Elderly is worth the drive to Lansing. Mike Eskimo will be chiming in here soon with the real goods.

Mike Eskimo and uriah1 like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

4. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

No time in the thumb myself, I'm up in the crotch of the ring/middle finger.

Loads of beautiful state parks up here.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There’s nothing there on the map !!! :eek:

How far are you from Legs Inn ? Or the Burt/Mullet area ?

Anyway, yeah motor city guitar is where you want to go. Takes me 40 minutes to get there maybe sometimes half an hour. Just a hair north of Pontiac .

Also - Berkley Music Co . Mainly used which is always good and a good selection of used amps and pedals as well.

then, there is always, I think it’s called Detroit guitar company but it’s in - Birmingham ! One of the richest towns in the country. Mainly new and high-end stuff but I’ve gotten a decent used paddle there every so often.

But, if you’re going to be based in Livonia, Elderly is an hour and 15 minutes.

When I was buying every third thing from their as-is list and reselling it on eBay , I was literally there 6-8 times a month . I had a gas card that I didn’t have to pay for so it was always cheaper than shipping. Super easy drive.

Gordy’s ? I’d never slag on Gordy because I bought all kinds of little parts there no one else has . Though it’s rare that he has anything I want, you never know what he’s going to have when you walk in there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    uriah1 likes this.
  6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Gordy's is a little hole in the wall that usually has off brand stuff with most of it being used. Not worth the drive to it from Livonia if you don't have a lot of spare time. Definitely make the drive to Motor City Guitar (maybe 30 minutes or so) and then Elderly which is about 70-80 miles.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    uriah1 likes this.
  7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Closest way point would be traverse city, which I'm 60 miles from.

My house us about 1 hour away from legs inn.

I'm often spending my free time at the bliss property and/or sturgeon bay. Both of those are a stone throw from legs.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Legs Inn. I haven't heard that one in a very long time. I played a gig there in like 1988 and there was this crazy drunk berating us from behind through a window.

I'm from Wish-again but don't know much anything about the place anymore as I left in 1990 and only went back for a few years after that for school in Ann Arbor. Gordy's first guitar show was epic. People still talk about it as there were a lot of good pickins and no security detail so people wouldn't even make it to the entrance before someone had bought their old strat off of them.

A good friend lives near that Motor City Guitar. I went once and I was really impressed with the selection of new instruments. I definitely concur on that recommendation. There is also a pro studio gear place in the area I think. I'd have to check with my brother, it might be associated with this place:
    https://petetownshend.net/news/pete-records-new-acoustic-songs-in-a-studio-near-detroit

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well there use to be a place in Royal Oak, maybe not Gordys., it was on main drag.
    That was 20yrs ago. We lived in Troy. lol They had Ernie Ball guitars

Anyway

if you are up there here is a good place for music at night..in fashionable Ferndale.

http://www.themagicbag.com/

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If you're staying on a long project, then watch for Gordy's guitar show on his website that happens in Oct/Nov time frame (in Taylor I think).

Reverend Guitars used to be in Livonia but they moved down river/Toledo

+1 Motor City. There may still be a Triple Telecaster in there you could try out.

There are smaller M&P stores around, but most focus on lessons and have more starter guitars and brands that don't require $100k/yr buy hanging on the walls, but sometimes interesting used guitars. Two GCs are nearby, might check their used racks.

I still need to get up to Elderly.

11. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Is Gordy's the little place in Ferndale right by Koontz's shop?

12. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

That guitar show you are talking about is in Taylor at the Taylor Town Trade Center on Ecorse just East of Pardee (Telegraph). I think it's Nov. 17th this year.

13. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Hey, while we're on the subject, has anyone ever checked out Huber Breese, in Fraser, MI? I've heard it's cool but have yet to make the trip. I'm only in the area twice a year.

scelestus likes this.
  14. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

There was a place called Massimino Music but then down the street was another place, with nicer guitars. I bought an '88 Les Paul Std there and it is the one guitar that I let go of that I kick myself about.

uriah1 likes this.
  15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Never heard of Huber Breese, but went on their site. It looks like a cool shop, but the prices seem high, at least on vintage gear - $1K for a '75 Twin. Also, they have an old Lifton case that I swear I used to own. Purchased for $1 at a garage sale. I included on a trade to a local guitar shop. They're asking $200.

16. Mike Eskimo

They’re both on Hilton about 2 miles apart.

Gordy’s show got so big they held it at the state fair Colosseum one year. All the major manufacturers were there and they had performances, beer, etc. it was gigantic. Like a mini NAMM. George Gruhn sat at a table right by the front door . He had a dozen weissenborns for whatever reason. I sat and talked with him about those things but he was constantly jumping up and buying guitars and amps mandolins and banjos off of people as they walked in.

I went to one about four years ago, another one of gordy’s , And it was so depressing in such a tiny little room I swore I would never go again.

Nothing - it was just a bunch of dealers trading a bunch of crap among them selves. Another one of those moments where I said - oh yeah baby, the writing is on the wall for this whole craze...

Huber and breese is almost 100% new but it’s cool because it is like an old fashioned 60’s music store in that it has drums keyboards and guitars And Amps. It’s fairly big too. If you’re on that side of town definitely worth going to.

I was at Gordy’s first guitar show. It was at a holiday inn in Bloomfield Hills. Just took up basically one ball room/meeting room. Super small . The Japanese were there with briefcases full of hundred dollar bills.

lil scotty likes this.
  17. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I am going to guess you are talking about what I *think* is still called Music Castle on Woodward Ave in Royal Oak. It's not that exciting now I don't reckon, but that is where the shop that was the first truly vintage focused shop was in Michigan, Rock City. Vox, Rickenbackers. Despite its first in market position, Rock City didn't last long. I heard rumors as to why back in the day, but I'll treat that as gossip.

uriah1 likes this.
  18. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Elderly has bouncers. I'm surpised they let you in after the 3rd or 4th sale.

JK. you make money, they make money, everyone's happy.

19. Mike Eskimo

Stuff would walk in their door everyday so they bought it. A lot of lower and mid-level vintage/used gear.

They rightly didn’t see the point of repairing/cleaning it so they’d throw it on the website “used as-is”. But you could tell they weren’t checking online to see what stuff actually sold for. They had the oldsters there just price it on some kind of common sense pricing rubric from the past.

I could barely keep up . :lol:

Then, after 4 or 5 years - the party was over.

You could tell they were now looking at online completed sales/actual “sold” prices.

It was fun while it lasted !

20. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Soooooo

Motor City guitars was awesome!!!

I couldnt bring myself to play any if the wildly expensive guitars.. But I sure looked at em'!

They had three tweed amps in a row.

I grabbed a baja telecaster (Dang... I might understand chunky neck love now).

I plugged into the middle one.. My God..

It was insane. Like so good. I lost an hour.

So good, a guy stopped me, shook my hand and gushed a bit on how good it sounded. "Keep doing what you doing"

I've never had someone stop me just to tell me I sounded good. Never. Let alone some stranger, boy that felt REALLLY good.

It was an eric clapton twinolux....

Looked up the price after I left....YEESH!

drf64, Mike Eskimo and Bellacaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.