1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Liverwurst

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1293, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I know that's a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I am quite sure you actually wouldn't :twisted:

Cali Dude and teletimetx like this.
  2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I commend you. At least Liverwurst isn't sold with the caveat "You'll really like this it doesn't even taste like liver". Personally I never go to that part of the meat counter.

3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

BTW - look at some of the ingredients: corn syrup, bacon, dry milk, sugar? :eek:

4. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

I guess it's an acquired taste I never acquired.

My mother used to force braunschweiger, liverwurst and liver and onions on my sister and I as kids despite our protestations. One day I decided to use reason rather than resistance and asked "Why do you insist on feeding us an organ that exists only to filter impurities from the bloodstream?" I thought I would get the standard "Because it's good for you and is high in iron" response. Imagine my surprise when she laughed and said "You win, I don't like it either".

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I grew up with Karl Elmer braunschweiger and Kessler liver. The braunschweiger is still available at German specialty butchers. I haven’t seen Kessler liver in many years. The German butcher nearest me still makes cold cut meat loaf fresh in the shop. I’ll ask if they make any variety of liverwurst in house next time I stop by.

I’m getting hungry just writing this. I’ll stop in on my way home tonight.

6. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Love it. With a slice of good heirloom tomato, and yellow mustard--no fancy stuff. Nothing better.

CharlieO and Lawdawg like this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I love a lot of different wursts...I have to admit, however, I have consciously avoided liverwurst, due to my aversion to liver.

I live by the motto, “Liver is a filter, and should not be eaten.”

However, in the spirit of trying anything once, I will try liverwurst the next time it is available to be tried free or cheap.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I used to love Liverwurst. and Pate' also. I was sailing the Caribe for a few years and always looked forward to a fresh baguette and some Pate' in the French Islands. So many more choices of Pate' down there.
    I still buy Liverwurst now and then. I was anemic as a pre teen and Mom made me eat it all the time.
    I try not to think about “Liver is a filter” as Fiesta Red says. I cant eat liver and onions anymore though.

P-Nutz likes this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. I’m more of a pâté guy. I wouldn’t choose liverwurst but I wouldn’t refuse it. In the same way I’m never going to pick Schwarzwälder or bauern schinken over jamón serrano or ibérico but I wouldn’t refuse them. Unless of course it’s some fake American Black Forest. Screw that nonsense, at least give me the real thing.

P-Nutz, Lawdawg and koen like this.
  10. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

I'm also in the "have to have it every year or two" camp. Always a nostalgia hit.

don71 and fjblair like this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

In the wild almost every species when they kill another animal to eat the first thing they eat is the liver.

I’m always surprised at how so many of us grew up with the same life experience. Even down to liver wursts and Braunschweiger sandwiches and a Scooter pie with a bag of Fritos. I was always embarrassed by my Liver Wurst and Braunschweiger sandwiches because so many kids would act like you were eating road apple. Every time I complained, my grandmother would tell me be glad you have a sandwich to eat. If you don’t like it, go hungry see how you like that.
    Truth is we had to line our lunches along side of our class room. By lunch time everything was warmed by the sun.
    Nothing tasted better than any lunch meat especially bologna warmed by the sun, the Mayo was so tangy. It even made Liver Wurst taste delicious.
    Our classroom was a bungalow, not at all like schools back east. Bungalow’s in a circle with the playground in the center.

P-Nutz likes this.
  12. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I like fried liverwurst but I rarely eat it, and when I do it's always with breakfast at a country diner/restaurant.

13. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mmmmm... like it. Of course different variant here probably. Liver's good though.

14. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

As a southern euro by upbringing I always thought the hybrid German-American stuff I saw other kids bringing in was garbage (and they used to make fun of me for eating squid). But after living in Germany for a bit I’ve come to appreciate some of the real peasant stuff as a comfort every now and then.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Love it. Love liver 'n' onions. Back when I worked in the machine shop, this time of year I would get deer livers from the guys that hunted. Mmmmmmm.

Dad and I were the only liverwurst/braunschweiger eaters in the house. Sourdough, cheddar, mayo, mustard. I took a lot of those to school as a kid.

"Flying Saucers" around here are a thick piece of baloney skillet-fried until it forms a cup...which is filled (mounded up) with mashed potatoes.

P-Nutz likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Southern Fried Chicken Livers smothered in Milk Gravy.
    Now that’s good eating, actually my granny could make milk gravy so good you could eat a boot if you covered it in gravy.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  18. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Another food I like but limit to maybe once every few years or so. It’s been a few years or so so thanks for putting that bee in my bonnet.

I learned to enjoy liver when my old pal Fergus the Cat was in his last days dying from cancer. As he refused to eat nearly anything I would cook him chicken livers in butter which he would eat until his last couple of days before he had to go. I ate one and liked it.

How about Bologna Boats? Bologna with a blob of mashed potatos and some cheese baked. In elementary school I was crazy about it.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Mother Goose - that’s the one.
    Mother Goose.:D:D

20. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

A remnant from my childhood that I still indulge in from time to time. I like it on good sourdough bread with some brown mustard and muenster cheese.

I'll add another to the list of things I used to have as a kid that are delicious but you might want to skip reading the ingredients....

scrapple-16oz.png

We'd have it with eggs and potatoes in the morning. My California born and bred family won't touch it. Which is probably wise.

Lawdawg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.