Live versions that are better than the studio?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by smoothrecluse, May 12, 2020.

1. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Ted Nugent: Double Live Gonzo

2. robschnspf

robschnspf TDPRI Member

Neil Young Cortez the Killer on Arc Weld is devastatingly good. I prefer it to the Album version

41144 likes this.
  3. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

This is one of my desert island discs. I think I got this record when I was 10 or 11 and it has never left the rotation. Just Can't Wait, Stoop Down, I Do, and this one just never let me down.

4. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

Little Feat, "Waiting for Columbus." Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson, "Welcome to the Club." Almost anything by the Grateful Dead (assuming you get a great live version -- and there are a lot to choose from).

Gary135r likes this.
  5. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal"
    The Band's "Rock of Ages"
    Jefferson Airplane's "Bless Its Pointed Little Head"

6. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

Get Your Ya Ya's is what turned me into a lifelong Stones fan. My brother brought the 8 track home to our Quadraphonic player (lol) and I was hooked for life. As for “Love In Vain” , I believe Mick Taylor hit his stride on the '72 Tour (he was brand new in '69). There are a lot of great versions from that tour, especially with the horns thrown in. Bobby Keys anyone?

bromdenlong, JeffBlue and Fiesta Red like this.
  7. bigblackie

bigblackie TDPRI Member

I scrolled all the way through to check and it looks like fuman beat me to the punch. When I was in high school in the 70's, I heard about this incredible band, Little Feat, but never heard them on the radio. I bought Waiting for Columbus to get a broad spectrum of their catalog and that album has stayed with me since. I owned the album, then the Master Recordings version, then the CD, the expanded CD, and now the Hi-Res digital. I bought a few of their studio albums and they were great, but just did not have the same impact on me as the live album. I have the same passion for the ABB, Live at Fillmore East, and have owned many copies of that, and like "Columbus", treasure that as documentation of an incredible group of musicians at the top of their game.

Gary135r likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That is one band I wish I had seen back in the day for sure.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oh man...these guys too. Just awesome.

fendertx likes this.
  10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've been going slightly stir crazy of late, and have been band binge listening.
    The Band were incredible live. The gigs with a horn section, arrangements by Allan Toussaint, are so good, it hurts. 'Before The Flood' is one heck of a showcase too.
    Schenker era UFO could floor most bands on a good night. Early Michael Schenker Group recordings were a little flat, but live?, holy-moly!
    Live, Motorhead don't disappoint. Never did. Every one knows 'No Sleep...', but dig deeper. They were Motorhead, and they played Rock'N'Roll. The Lemmy side project Head Cat could cut some serious rug too.
    It may be a Brit thing. Lindisfarne. Always a great live show. Hunt down their live album ( Imaginatively titled 'Lindisfarne Live' ), settle down with a Newkie and enjoy.
    Budgie. Wales' answer to Motorhead meets Rush. 'Heavier Than Air' is worth a spin. They played live so much, they had it honed and stropped to a fine edge, and it shows.
    Richard Thompson. How many 'wtf?' moments do you want in a live recording?.
    The Black Crowes. Fine in a studio, great live, but the album they recorded with Jimmy Page is audio dynamite.

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

better than being born dead.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  12. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

Pat Travers, Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights)

Studio:

Live:

13. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Best live performance by an artist overall in terms of sounding better than (or in this case exactly the same as) their studio work was a concert I saw in Jr. High School at Princeton University's Jadwin Gymnasium. The band was Boston and to this day I have never heard studio music reproduced more accurately live. As far as better than studio, I was astounded by Andy Timmons' Live performance of Cry For You, and always introduce him to folks who aren't familiar with his work by showing them the video below. I will admit that watching someone enjoy their music as much as Andy does has some emotional impact, but I have listened to both without the video, and the live version just rules. Hope you enjoy:

JeffBlue likes this.
  14. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I always liked this version of Cinnamon Girl:

15. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

With a few notable exceptions, just about anything The Grateful Dead released.

16. boop

boop Tele-Meister

This always did it for me. Here is a version that is the same on their "hits" album plus another 12 minutes they lopped off. :lol:

6stringcowboy likes this.
  17. bolintrucks

bolintrucks TDPRI Member

UFO's Rock Bottom from Strangers in the Night
    Robin Trower's Daydream from 'Live'
    Shapes of Things, Parisienne Walkways, Empty Rooms, Surrender by Gary Moore.

18. FrankWild

FrankWild TDPRI Member

Tom Waits' live "Telephone Call from Istanbul" has a completely different feel on the original version ("Frank's Wild Years"). Not even 1/10th as exciting as the live version ("Big Time"). That organ solo: a roller rink in hell.

19. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

I remember hearing a live version of 'Candy's Room' quite some time ago. I was floored. I believe they extended it (studio version is actually a bit short) with some guitar at the end, it was fantastic.

kylejf90 likes this.
  20. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at the El Mocambo — all the songs are better than the studio versions.

El Tele Lobo and pcasarona like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.