LIve Streaming - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Ron R, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

If so, got any helpful tips/tricks to share?
    We're considering doing a live stream every month or two on our normal practice night. Not for the whole night, probably just an hour to an hour and a half each time. And handling it just like a show - predertined set list so we're not standing around deciding what to play next. Taking feedback from any listeners on what tunes from our song list to include on the next stream. Audio would be a feed straight from our board to the video camera.
    Anyway, if you've got any helpful hints, please share them.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You'll need some software on the he streaming computer to reunite the two feeds and create the stream.

The larger latency of one of the streams will mean you'll have to delay the other to get sync.

Don't rely on wifi if you can help it.

Dante networking protocol is your friend here.

Each of those sentences above could be a few paragraphs. There's a fair bit to getting it right. My experience is as soundman in a church - we've streamed audio for years, video for about a year and a half.

The streaming server side is also an issue. Facebook Live has been very robust, believe it or not.

Ron R likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know nuttin, but someone said to lay down the first track then have the others play to that. ?

4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

This would be the three of us playing together in our practice space.

tubegeek likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm trying to find this out myself as me and my acoustic Duo partner have tried this twice Playing Together live through a mixing board into a digital recorder with a USB port to the computer and everything still sounds terrible

Ron R likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The good news is I'm playing real gigs again but I want to keep doing this

scook and Ron R like this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you're all playing together in a room then streaming should be pretty easy with something like FB Live. The harder challenge is jamming/streaming when you are all separate. Several bandmates have successfully downloaded and run JamKazam but I am having some kind of insurmountable glitch when trying to use it on my Mac (Catalina OS) through an Orbi router/modem.

Ron R likes this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You'll want multiple cameras - forgot to mention - and again, hardwired is better than wifi if you can do it, once you get that much going on. The software that creates the stream can also do titling if you want, and it's where you preview and switch shots.

We have been using Wirecast at the church, and I can't wholeheartedly recommend it. There's an free, open source solution that is well-liked, comes out of Danish or Swedish national TV. OBS.

https://obsproject.com/

Haven't used it but those who do are very enthusiastic.

Ron R likes this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Yes, we're leaning toward Facebook Live. Do you happen to know, can people access the video later if they miss the actual live stream?
    Saw your suggestion about multiple cameras below, and maybe we'd eventually get to that - for now, we'd probably just use the one video camera we've got. We've used it plenty to capture both practice sessions and gigs; positioned right, it captures all three of us at once.
    I do appreciate all the suggestions though. Thank you.

tubegeek likes this.
  10. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

One-camera to FB live is how we started and it's a very good simple solution. All you really need for that is a phone. You can probably just run a cable from an aux out on your PA into your camera/phone and that'd be done and dusted for the sound. Do it in such a way that you can create a different stream mix than the PA mix (forgive me if this is all obvious "duh" stuff to you, you never know.) Honestly the phone-mic audio is not so great but it's not so horrible either. It depends on your type of music , the PA, and the room, of course. You might want to do better though.

We archive the video elsewhere, but IIRC there's like a check-box or something to have it available afterwards on FB. Double-check me on that, we haven't taken the opportunity to try that.

Ron R likes this.
  11. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

Pro tip:. Set up a Facebook page that no one sees but you guys, so you can do go live sound checks.

12. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Stealth/genius!

13. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've used FB live and it works well with a Moto phone but I can't reverse the image and still have the screen facing me like with an iphone, other than that it's worked fairly well, not the quality of a dedicated camera and mic but, I'll take it. It did take a few runs to get balances correct and over all volume but I run through my PA and mixer

Ron R likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.