Live gigs is your amp wide open?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by texmck54, Oct 24, 2017.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Yep. Not that we have many clean parts but I use the guitar volume to control the amp. My sound is a Billy Gibbons like crunch, I’ll boost with and overdrive or boost and then with a Gretsch or tele use the volume. Also I do this because my amps didn’t come with foot-switches to change from clean to dirty and I’m lazy.

2. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I have never played a place where I need to mike my amp, and mostly it is sitting
    on 3!

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

For me it's guitar at 7, amp at about 4, depending on the amp. I turn up the guitar for solos. I get my distortion from a stomp box. If I used a more overdriven core tone, then I might do the dimed amp-control the volume from the guitar thing. My core tone is clean and I build on that with pedals.

thegeezer likes this.
  4. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Do you guys all have treble bleed? I can't just "roll my guitar volume for cleans". Cleans gotta sparkle. Not sound like poop. Guitar wide open most of the time unless it's too bright and too loud. Then I'll roll it back until I can get to the amp to adjust. Then guitar can come back up. DRRI set to 3 1/2 to 4. 5e3 set to around 6.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I have mine 50's style but when I'm singing and playing I need to be able to roll it without looking. So, 10 has to be 10 for me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Depends on the guitar. Tele, no. Les Pauls, no with 50's wiring. Gretsch Jet with Filtertrons, yes.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

In this day and age, even a 13 watt 5E3 Tweed Deluxe can be way too loud when turned up and way more than most venues will call for and/or tolerate, but...... Bearing in mind that I don't use foot/pedal/stomp thingies, I set the amp volume for optimal sound/tone/response, then use the guitar's controls to modify the tones and amount of overdrive, etc. I need the tubes screamin' to get the tones I depend on! If/when I find that the actual "volume" in the room is too loud, and it usually is, I control the actual sound/volume level with a good attenuator between the amp and speaker. The concept here is that an attenuator allows the amp to be driven into it's best sound range and then uses a resistive and dummy "speaker motor" circuit to dissipate the unneeded power/volume away as heat. There are many brands and types available, from very fantastic/very expensive all the way down to cheap/not very good! I currently use a Weber MiniMass that, at least for my 5E3, does not compromise or neuter the tone and sound of the amp, but I have other Marshall style amps that it really detracts from the sound of! The Weber is a reasonably priced unit for lower wattage (35 wats and below) amps and has been quite durable for quite a few years! Mine is semi-permanently mounted into the cabinet of my 5E3 Deluxe! And oh yeah, there's always a mic on my amp (not for volume, per-se, but for even distribution "mixing" with the vocals etc.), because my actual stage volume is not enough to fill the room.

https://www.tedweber.com/minimass

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Yep - treble bleeds on all my guitars. I agree that "cleans gotta sparkle."
    I get that some folks prefer that the tone rolls back some with the volume, but I prefer maintaining the same tone wherever I set the volume.

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I forgot to add, I will usually run my amp a little brighter than someone who is an all on 10's kinda guy. I host a few open mics and always laugh when some guys plug into my amp and about peel folks eyelids back and have this sudden panicked look and no idea what to do. I tend to stand rather close to jump up and turn the amp down. Or, when I am not feeling particularly mischievous, I will turn my amp down before they ever plug in... :lol:

10. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Never at 10, but always 7+. The way I do it is you can't use boost/overdrive/distortion pedals--it has to be all amp and guitar volume.

11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I (generally) play three sets every Sunday (please don’t tune out yet.)
    I bounce across playing the keys parts, some chick-a-fied pickin’, 70’s Rock territory, ambient (?) to searing sustain.
    I typically try to turn down as low as good tones will go.
    Recently our sound-gal asks if I would mind to turn up... then she asked again. Um, yes... I think I can do that.
    We have a new multi-k system, subs, in-ears, personal monitor/mixers, etc... you’d think they’d be on that “no amps” deal.
    Nope, more cowbell baby!
    Sometimes I wince a bit.
    Is it wide open? No... but, is it loud? Um... yeah, it’s loud.

12. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Always.

mad dog likes this.
  13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I set amp and eqs to match guitar/s backed off on volume and tone. My PRS has a TBX because I use the coil-tap to use the in-between hum-plus-single setting for lighter tones. I use treble bleeds to keep highs.

Always need to have somewhere to go with volume and tone.

14. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I play a Tweed Bassman LTD which can get very loud, but I use the second input on the normal channel which is attenuated. I set the amp volume somewhere close to 8 of 10 (guesstimate) and use my guitar volume to adjust. It can still get quite loud but I usually don't let it get too loud. I feel that pushing the amp gets a better sound even if I keep volume down with guitar than if I set the amp lower and keep guitar all the way up.

In a smaller setting I have also used a smaller amp with probably 12-15 watts. I set the master volume all the way up and the gain about 11 o'clock. This allows me to maximize my clean tone/volume and have it at the edge where I can bring guitar up and drive it into light distortion.

15. Evil Funk

Evil Funk Tele-Meister

Never on full, no. It's not practical or even needed.

I have a non master volume amp, which max's it's volume when it's about halfway. Going further just adds fullness and gain.

So i'll crank to get my sweet spot (usually 70% up on the amp volume, 75% on the guitar volume) and use my guitar knob to either go higher for a boost, or lower to clean it up.

Also, i just re-wired my Tele for 2 volume knobs and no tone (i never used it), so when i hop pickups (which is often) i don't have to adjust my output.

I have a Weber Attenuator attached to make sure i can keep my "sweet spot" at any volume. My amp is also switchable from 30 watts to 15 watts, in case the headroom needs to change. I also keep a Paisley Drive on hand if we have to play at a very low volume. It can imitate my cranked amp very well.

The Z Wreck is an extremely sensitive and responsive amp and allows me to do this pretty easily. It sounds very musical and pleasant at any volume. It's why i chose it.

My friend plays a 100 watt Marshall half stack no matter what size the gig is. He gets to run it on 2.5, maybe even 3! He has the weakest crappiest tone, and it gets worse with more gain. He thinks it's cool though, cuz you know... "100 watt Marshall! Derf!"

I told him... "Trust me... it's NOT a 100 watt Marshall when it's only on 2 or 3. In fact, i'm not sure the tubes are even on."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  16. The Grim Peeper

The Grim Peeper Tele-Meister

Yep deluxe on 3-4 with a V30 a strat with Texas specials is my magic zone.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  17. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

It's entirely impractical, IMO. Not many amps sound good wide open to me. I have seen videos where Larry Carlton (5E3) and Mike Campbell (5D3) are set at about 2-1/2 to 3. That's where I like it too. Even though those amps a quite near full power right there, that wasn't the question, was it? ;)

18. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

I like my amps to be loud enough to be heard and loud enough to hit the sweet spot. All my amps are 40 watts or less because high volume is highly frowned upon these days. Most are only just cracked open at 2 or 3 before i get yelled at. It's hard to go any lower than that without the amp sounding like crap.

19. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Haven't done wide open since the late '60s psychedelic era and mainly in large places. We didn't mike amps then.
    2-3 years of that was enough but at that time in a large hall it was nice.
    That was mainly with Super Reverb, Sunn and HiWatt amps and I usually stayed some distance away from the amp so I could hear - mainly the bass and drums.

20. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

We keep it simple and play amps direct, no PA. Played a weekly BBQ all summer, and GT to use my outside voice - Dual Showman Reverb on about 4 or 5. But now that we're back inside, it's my Vibroverb RI on 2 or 3 to start the evening, turning up to 4 or so as the crowd gets going. Guitars usually at 8, up to 10 for solos.
    I've been thinking I could probably get away with a DRRI for the inside stuff. I play mostly clean in a 50's & 60's RnR band. No hard stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.