live albums being re recorded in the studio.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Jul 15, 2020.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know if that is a common practice, but here is what i read on youtube.

comment on this video

Michael R.il y a 3 mois
    @Dirface - For sure. Frig, even the Ramones' first live album, 'It's Alive', from 1979, was essentially a studio album. I heard CJ talk about it on a show and he said that Tommy and Johnny told him exactly how they did it. They re-recorded everything except for the bass and snare drum. Even the high hats and cymbals were overdubbed. So what they essentially did was record a whole show and then use that as a guide or scratch track when re-recording it in the studio. Generally speaking (for other bands), the only live thing about live albums is usually the drums. The drums are what give life to songs, so that makes sense to me. Everyone always talks about how surprised they were when they found out that the first Kiss, 'Alive', album was essentially a studio album back when t was released in the late 70's because it was done so well. But you would have thought that everyone would have known by then. I was born in 1981 and have been involved in 'music stuff' for essentially my whole life. So maybe I just learned of these things before most of my peers. It never surprised me."

How common is that ? I knew stuffs could be rerecorded, but just keeping the snare and the bass, it is not really worth the hassle to even make a recording... Except if they noticed later that the recording was not good enough.

2. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

How the West Was Won, my favorite Zeppelin, sounds so good to me I have to wonder if there was at least a little bit of post production work.

Brendan and johnny k like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I think it's pretty common for bands to go into the studio to "fix" parts here and there in the show. Not sure it's all that common to redo everything.

johnny k likes this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

At one time they were pretty much all redone in the studio to some extent. I suppose modern foldback tech and in-ear systems have made a difference, though.

When you think about how out of tune you are in most gigs, without realising it - well, recorded sound is unforgiving. And the amount of mistakes you make, partly because you can't hear the rest of the band?

I remember reading that Paul Simon spent about 6 months mixing a live album, cutting the parts he liked from some performances and splicing them with others, a few bars at a time.

Sounds like a waste of time to me.

johnny k likes this.
  5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Kiss Alive is amazing. And not very live.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

ac/dc - if you want blood
    thin lizzy - live and dangerous
    deep purple - made in japan

very little left of the original live recording except for the crowd

johnny k likes this.
  7. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous is the same way. It was a pretty common thing. The Grateful Dead's Europe '72 I'm pretty sure has the vocals overdubbed on it (it sounds drastically different than bootleg versions of the same shows). At the end of the day a good record is a good record, so I don't really care.

With the Ramones I never really understood that though because if you listen to live recordings of shows around the time they did It's Alive, they played everything spot on and perfect. Johnny ran that band like a baseball team

Skully and johnny k like this.
  8. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

Metallica took it a different direction at the start

they did a "live" EP around the time of Kill Em All which was made up of studio recordings that they had live audience noises overdubbed on to

9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Fairport Convention's "In Real Time" (the first LP of theirs I ever owned, which really sucked me in) features cover photos from a big outdoor gig, but was apparently recorded "live" in the studio. They're a far cry from the Ramones anyway... what cracked me up the most about the story is that the applause between numbers is from a different artist's actual concert. wtf!

10. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

zappa's live albums were studio creations with crowd noise added but they were supposed to be 'performance pieces' or somesuch.

the who's 'live at leeds' though, is pure who. now THAT's a live album.

11. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 TDPRI Member

So don't tell me that yessongs is not live......

Old Plank likes this.
  12. johnny k

In other comments, it seems like it was loco live, and not it's alive.

13. Elliot_G

Elliot_G TDPRI Member

The Clash live compilation From Here to Eternity has a few songs that had studio overdubs. I understand it was to correct technical deficiencies, rather than to make up for sloppy playing.

johnny k likes this.
  14. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

In 2010 I played a show for the local arts center to a crowd of about 350 people. It was being televised to Arizona public tv, and that day I got the worst case of laryngitis I've ever had. I soldiered through, though by the end of it, the showrunners may have wished I'd just bowed out.

The next week they called me into a studio to rerecord all my vocals. It does happen. And I doubt anyone who didn't know suspected a thing.

johnny k likes this.
  15. johnny k

classic !

johnniegoat likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in the day they used to call it “stepped on” (as in coke that was mainly baby laxative)

Seger Live Bullet

Cream live stuff (edited down to prevent boredom)

Grateful Dead Europe 72 (bckg vox by the Dead that good ? :lol::lol::lol:)

Crazy enough, a great Clash live gig is the Shea Stadium one they put out 10-15 yrs ago. Opening for The Who.

Slip Kid, Elliot_G and Old Plank like this.
  17. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

They may have done the same with Loco Live, but I've heard that plenty of times about It's Alive too. I think it was just standard procedure at the time. I can't imagine Johnny Ramone choosing to go into a studio if he wasn't being made to by the label.

Skully and johnny k like this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I was at the live taping/video-ing/filming(?) of ZZ Top’s “Live From Texas” DVD in Grand Prairie, Texas.

There were a few interesting...(ahem)...dichotomies between the (good-to-great) performance I saw and heard and the final product I bought later.

I requisitioned* a legal notice from the wall of the facility that informed us that the proceedings were being recorded and filmed, and that our presence at the site released the band and management from any claims, etc.
    The notice stated two different dates—one of which was the day before the public performance I attended. It was hinted (amongst ZZ Top aficionados) that they recorded/filmed the set list a few times the previous day as well as the “public” day, in order to cobble the best performances together for the final product.

To be honest, it really doesn’t bother me...I’d prefer a true “fly-on-the-wall” documentary of what happened on a particular night, but I understand “Show Bidness”

Old Plank likes this.
  19. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out had vocal overdubs

20. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Agree. "Song Remains the Same," on the other hand, has a genuinely live vibe to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.