1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Live album...... any such thing? What's your fave?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Colo Springs E, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

There is an anomaly on that record. There are two versions of that performance of Strange Kind of Woman, identical apart from a few bars of organ just before the scream at the end. One version has it, the other doesn't. Both pop up on official releases just as often as each other.

There was talk of a possible overdub due to Gillan tripping over a cable, but apparently no evidence of it could be found during the remastering process.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, I often prefer the live version of songs. When something live comes on Pandora I almost always listen.

3. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I love live albums, even with the problems they may contain. Two of my favorites are Get Yer YaYas Out and Live At Leeds. A studio version of a song may be more structurally balanced and usually without any major flaws, but they also often come off a little sterile compared to a live performance. If there are overdubs on a live album to clean something up and it is done well it doesn't bother me, as long as the feeling comes off as a live performance.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  4. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting! I've got the CD reissue and somewhere I've got the LP... might try to compare... if I can get round to digging out my turntable...

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Wes Montgomery live at Tsubo. A club date of Wes' with the Wynton Kelly trio and Johnny Griffin on Tenor. Was the only cassette in my car player for many years.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

+1 live at leeds

7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

"Live Jam" - The Jam
    No one has mentioned this one so far. Little known great album that captures the raw energy of their live show. Features great versions of "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight," "Man in the Corner Shop" and "Town Called Malice."

"The Live Kinks" - The Kinks
    Another one yet to be mentioned. It features my favorite version in the history of rock and roll of "Milk Cow Blues." It also gives you Kinks' classics like "Til the End of the Day" and "You Really Got Me." It has that rough 1960s atrocious live sound quality that I love.

"Got Live If You Want It" - Rolling Stones
    A girl I dated in college turned me on to this album. Great, live early early Stones raunchy recording from the mid-60s. I spent years trying to get this on CD.

"From Here to Eternity" - The Clash
    I haven't seen this one mentioned either. Fantastic live album with many of the their best songs. It features and starts off with their best version ever of "Complete Control."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.