1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Live album...... any such thing? What's your fave?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Colo Springs E, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just bought this today, and just finished it now when I saw this thread...not a bad late 80's Grateful Dead Concert, an especially good Dark Star sequence for 1989! Highly recommended, and I have always been a naysayer on 80 dead, but this is A+

gd891016_01.jpg

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The Stone's "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" is the greatest live album of all time, IMHO.

Their "Love You Live" also holds a dear place in my heart, because it was my first Stones album (side 3 is the best side of that double disc).

ZZ Top's "Live From Texas" has sentimental value--my favorite band, and I was there when they filmed the video...my drummer and I are visible at a couple of different points in the video. Also, Buddy Whittington was in the audience, and when I pointed him out to my drummer, he saw me and said, "Harp Man!" (He recognized me from a brief chance encounter/jam session from years before...made my day. Shoot, that made my month!)

The Arc Angels "Living in a Dream" DVD/CD gets a lot of love in mí casa, too.

I have too many live bootlegs to count, but a bootlegged Buddy Guy "Live at Antone's" is special, partially because of the musicianship, but partially because I was there, too. A partially loaded 20-year-old me can be heard at several points in the recording.

3. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

4. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Richard & Linda Thompson ...in Concert, November 1975

5. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

"Nashville West" is a CD that, sadly, I don't have in my CD collection yet. I've got the Byrds CD, "Live From The Fillmore" (and about six or seven live boot CDs, too). I agree, though, that Clarence was amazing either way and he will finally get his due respect and recognition when he will be inducted into The Bluegrass Hall Of Fame later this year!!! There's also a CD of some live Clarence out there that I don't have that's called "White's Lightning" that I haven't gotten yet. A FB friend is making me sone CD copies of his huge collection of 1969-1973 Byrds recordings and I can't wait to get them all!! As a matter of fact, I need to check and see how he's coming along on them.

I just thought of another live CD: "Waylon: LIVE! The Expanded Edition!" that is another great live CD (although, I seem to remember that Willie recorded his part for, "Good Hearted Woman" at a different time than Waylon did and you can actually kind of hear when Willie is strategically placed in his part of the song because the rhythm kind of screws up a bit.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

El Macambo (sp?) side, totally agree. I love playing my guitar to "Crackin' Up" and "Round and Round."

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I was just about to post a similar answer: this is a most extraordinary album, a true classic. It's easily my favorite live album EVER, along with The Band's Rock Of Ages. I can't decide which I prefer between those two

8. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

the first live albums i thought of were -

Allman Brothers - live at the filmore
    Peter Frampton - frampton comes alive
    Eric Clapton - 24 nights

and for the its got to be really live crowd i have several Widespread Panic bootleg concerts my son gave me - some great stuff but sometimes i have to fast forward thru the drum solos - saw them a few months ago and it was our 4th time - their live shows have a great vibe and the group can really rock -

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Bob Marley & The Wailers - LIVE!

1975 recorded at the Lyceum Theatre in London.

10. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Grant Green - Live at The Lighthouse

Recorded at the Lighthouse Club in Hermosa Beach, California in 1972

Absolute fire!

TelePhartz likes this.
  11. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

Such atmosphere on that. I swear you can get stoned just putting the needle on that record.

12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I generally hate, HATE live albums. When live tracks hit my Pandora station, I skip it immediately. Having said that, SRV's In the Beginning and Live at El Macomba are two of my favorite live recordings.

13. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

That is a good 'un. I have it and like it a lot. Cookin' band.

14. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

i went to the Light House Club somewhere in '74 - '75 and saw Pharaoh Sanders one night and Mose Allison on another - hadn't thought about that in years so thanks RubyRae -

15. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

I think I went to the Lighthouse at some point during that time period too. Couldn't even tell you who I saw. o_O

16. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Deep Purple Made In Europe, Foghat Live both made an impact on my youth.

17. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

some great stuff here...

2 of my all time faves, a little more contemporary..

built to spill - live... gotta love doug martsch and big fender iron with a strat..

archers of loaf - live at the cats cradle

18. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Returning to one of the OP's points... Made In Europe, good though it is, is I think one of those albums that had a ton of studio doctoring: editing, crowd noise loops overdubbed etc.
    On the other hand for Made In Japan -- which is really one of my favourite albums ever -- I think all they did was choose which versions of the tracks to use from the 3 nights they'd recorded. Gillan has said he wasn't happy with his voice on parts of it but that Martin Birch had chosen versions with some of Paice's best ever drumming.

19. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

+1 I've been listening to this one quite a bit of late. Great album.

20. jazzyvee

jazzyvee TDPRI Member

Gratitude , Earth Wind & Fire ( although there are some studio tracks on it)
    Moonflower Santana ( although there are some studio tracks on it)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.