1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Live album...... any such thing? What's your fave?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Colo Springs E, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

+1

Also, Absolutely Live by The Doors and the live sections on Pink Floyd's Ummagumma and Joy Division's Still.

songtalk likes this.
  2. irie

irie Tele-Holic

I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet, but B.B. King Live at the regal is not only my favorite live album but it may well be my favorite album ever.

Larry F, Dan R, EllroyJames and 4 others like this.
  3. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

WOODSTOCK
    The original recordings from the concert are pretty special. It includes some of the announcements including Neil Youngs "No More Rain" chant.

The sound quality is fair, but keep in mind this was the state of the art 1969 ( well probably not state of the art, but still good gear )

From time to time I pop it on and just kind of groove on the whole vibe, man! :cool:

4. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

As a kid I really enjoyed live albums. Two favorites come to mind: Jimi Plays Monterey and Johnny Winter And Live.

5. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Hendrix in the West (Hendrix)
    Made in Japan (Deep Purple)
    Recorded live (Ten Years After)
    Jazz Blues Fusion + Moving On (John Mayall)
    Live at Blues Alley (Eva Cassidy)
    Jazz at the Pawnshop (Arne Domnerus)

They are all live recordings at a quality which when played on a decent stereo gives the impression of being there.

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well, no such thing as a live album (besides maybe a bootleg), but hey that's semantics...

All good stuff so far so I'll add off the top of my head:
    Curtis Mayfield - CURTIS/LIVE!
    Les McCann & Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement
    Talking Heads - The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads
    *partial credit* The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

Dan R, songtalk and erratick like this.
  7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

...but somehow a band which a couple of years before was 2 guitars, bass and drums has acquired 2 keyboard players and a percussionist IIRC. So it may be live but it's a document of a band who've lost their way, IMHO. <ducks and runs>

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I haven't picked it up yet but it's on my list. I missed him last time he was in Denver but have sworn never to let that happen again so then I can die in peace as well. He's long been my favorite song writer/performer.

9. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

So many great ones have been mentioned.

Has anyone mentioned Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider?
    My favorite of his though, is the bootleg - Club Full of Blues, recorded when he was promoting From the Cradle. In my opinion, he reached his pinnacle during that period - mid 90's. Just unbelievable, hot, emotive playing on that. Disclaimer: I'm somewhat of a Clapton fan boy. ;)

10. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

No doubt a lot of bootlegs are better than the official albums. Genesis were one of my favourite bands going way back to my teens: I used to think Seconds Out was a great live album till I heard bootlegs from the 1976 / 77 tours and realised how much better it could have been.

I think Neil Young deserves more mention for his approach to live recordings. There are bucket loads he's put out and while there may be edits I don't believe there are any overdubs.

And surely the kings of live recordings (pardon the pun) are King Crimson. I know the official live album USA has a ton of overdubs (Eddie Jobson replacing most of David Cross's contribution) but in recent years they have released any number of live recordings going way back when and again I believe all undoctored.

11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

No need to duck and run but you have to play fair :)

They had two studio albums that were 2 guitars, bass and drums... then 2 studio albums (including my personal favorite, Love Over Gold) that expanded to keyboards and percussion before Alchemy was ever recorded. Actually, if the silly EP (Twisting by the Pool) counts at all, they had 2 1/2 albums that expanded to keyboards and percussion (and Sax) before Alchemy... :D

12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

That's a great one! But I think I like Live in Japan even better. Hard to say. Here's a sample:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    irie likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another vote for Cheap Trick at Bodukan. So good.

My personal favorite:

X - Live at The Whiskey a Go-Go on the Fabulous Sunset Strip. Those guys are so good I'll never understand why they never truly broke big. I don't know if it's overdubbed. But if you doubt they could be that good, and that tight, and that Billy Zoom could play those parts so flawlessly and effortlessly, without a flub - then you need to catch them live sometime. It's real.

Also very partial to the Plimsouls - Live! Beg, Borrow and Steal (again, at the Whiskey).

Killing Joke - BBC in Concert. Both albums. Another killer band that I feel like never quite got the recognition they deserved.

Finally, Before the Flood. Dylan got his due. Strangely, I'm not sure the Band could ever really get their due.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. irie

irie Tele-Holic

gonna have to give this one a listen too! thanks for the tip.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  15. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Well, quite true, it was part of a process. I just about tolerated Making Movies but after that they had lost me. Can't please everyone all the time, I doubt Mark Knopfler's worrying about having lost my interest.
    (I'd forgotten to mention the sax player btw. Not that there's anything wrong with that...).

16. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Glad to Curtis/Live!
    Underrated album and player. Also appropriate on the forum as he's been seen with a Tele.

My top Live Albums:

The best:
    Love, Power, Peace. James Brown Live in Paris. The best JBs lineup with Bootsy and Catfish, Jabo and Tiger on drums. If you listen to this and have no urge to dance or groove, you might be dead.

The rest of my top10 in no particular order:

Miles Davis: Live at the Plugged Nickel - 1965. Sprawling live album from a man who changed music 4 or 5 times (cool jazz, jazz fusion, bebop, hard bop, etc). Tentative at first, crushing at the end. You could learn more about melody and harmony from this than can fit in my brain.

Babylon By Bus: Bob Marley - The Barrett Brothers, the I threes, and some great songs. Alvin Seeco Patterson on guitar with Bob.

The Night Watch: King Crimson - too many albums, boots and other by Crimson out there and many are drek. This is the mid 70s line up- crushing improvisation and rock.

Ramones: It's Alive- straight up rock and roll by a band who reinvigorated the genre. Want to know how to count off a song? Listen to this bad boy. Tight song writing.

U2: Under a Blood Red Sky - the transition between the early U2 and the new. The band at the height of it's powers.

BB King: Live in Cook County Jail. Enough tasty licks in this to teach guitar for 20 years. Want to learn about conviction when you are singing? Listen to this master class.

Coltrane: Live at the VIllage Vanguard- hear the man change music.

Rush: Time Machine- I'd normally go with the old bootleg of theirs (fifth order of angels), but this is a power house of execution. You could complain the songs sound like the albums, or you could appreciate how hard that is. This one could have been usurped by Show of Hands or Exit Stage Left (overdubs).

Johnny Cash: Live at Folsom Prison - a couple songs edited for singles, but the real album is a gold standard lesson in performance and musicianship. Tight performance.

Zep and Hendrix live albums barely didn't make the list (band of gypsys and how the west was won).

17. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Cream reunion. Just glad they did it.

18. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Ian Hunter Mick Ronson Welcome to the Club

Ian Hunter is so under appreciated....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Jeff_K likes this.
  19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Who cares?
    Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous!

20. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Warren Zevon..........Stand In The Fire

Jeff_K likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.