Live Aid: Against All Odds

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I never knew what an incredible job Bob Geldof did in making this happen, and pulling it all together as quickly as he did.

This video is the first 90 minutes or so of the documentary, if you make it that far the rest is on YouTube in smaller segments, starting with part 10. I watched it all the other night, and was amazed at how little I really knew about an event that was such a big deal when I was sixteen.

Drubbing

Friend of Leo's
I remember watching the hasty doco of the making of the Band Aid song on the day it was all pulled together. I think people in britain got a sense something big was happening - that footage from Ethiopia affected many people. and they got behind it as much as the big names of the day. Most of whom rocked up on Geldof's bluffs to them about who else was confirmed, when no one was.

He really didn't know if he had anything at all til the buses started arriving.

Live Aid had no precedent or template. Younger people take the big rock statement for a cause thing more for granted today, but it all started with Geldof. Live Aid was a big deal because nothing of that scale had been done before.

The ageing hippies on the forum can hold fire on the big W. That was just a wave of freeloaders without tickets rocking up to wallow in mud, and try and get more smashed than those on stage.

Last edited:

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Live Aid had no precedent or template. Younger people take the big rock statement for a cause thing more for granted today, but it all started with Geldof. Live Aid was a big deal because nothing of that scale had been done before.

What I found really interesting was the fact that the satellite link-ups to all the different countries had never been done before, and Geldof managed to make THAT happen as well.

Drubbing

Friend of Leo's
What I didn't realise was how much of the reluctant hero Geldof was after Band aid. There was a lot of cynicism about him going to Ethiopia, which has since become a celebrity for a cause cliche. But he didn't want to do it for those very reasons, and didn't see himself as a 'statesman', but the whole thing was bigger than him and he became a swept along by it.

I also didn't realise he called the bluff of almost every act (and organisation) he announced for Live Aid. I'd hate to have been the one answering those phone calls... but I like the way he answered Brian Ferry, "pull out then, and we'll announce that instead".

Serious cojones.

eMGee

Friend of Leo's
What I found really interesting was the fact that the satellite link-ups to all the different countries had never been done before, and Geldof managed to make THAT happen as well.

"All You Need Is Love" ...was first performed by the Beatles on Our World, the first live global television link. Watched by 400 million in 26 countries, the programme was broadcast via satellite on 25 June 1967.

twick

Tele-Meister
Really glad Brian Ferry didn't drop out! I was at the wembley show and when I heard slave to love kick in, I was just blown away. I had never heard it before and David Gilmour was playing guitar.
Best show ever.

greggorypeccary

Friend of Leo's
The best thing about Live Aid was Bob Dylan's off the cuff remark that led to Farm Aid, which happened the following year, and is still going strong. :cool:

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"All You Need Is Love" ...was first performed by the Beatles on Our World, the first live global television link. Watched by 400 million in 26 countries, the programme was broadcast via satellite on 25 June 1967.

That was one performance from one location that was broadcast globally. Live Aid was multiple performances from multiple locations all interactively connected. Even the (then) Soviet Union contributed musical performances, and this was when the Cold War was still going strong.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Live Aid will forever be linked to a band which before hand were a "Has-been" albums like "Hot space" and "The Works" weren't selling and the Band had already decided to call it quits. Their singer had released solo albums and their guitarist was making a name for himself as a producer.

But when Geldof asked them to appear and just play their hits, they went "Well alright then, since it probably will the last time."

Their "one more for the road" performance became one of those defining musical performances of all time, cementing that band as Legendary and what they did that day will be talked about in 100 years from now.

So which band was that?

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

And the venerable Declan McManus decided to do that all over again.

Lennon would have been proud.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Live Aid will forever be linked to a band which before hand were a "Has-been" albums like "Hot space" and "The Works" weren't selling and the Band had already decided to call it quits. Their singer had released solo albums and their guitarist was making a name for himself as a producer.

But when Geldof asked them to appear and just play their hits, they went "Well alright then, since it probably will the last time."

Their "one more for the road" performance became one of those defining musical performances of all time, cementing that band as Legendary and what they did that day will be talked about in 100 years from now.

So which band was that?

I showed Queen's performance to my elder daughter recently after we watched a National Geographic Channel special about The 1980s that included a segment on Live Aid. I tried to explain to her how it exemplified seizing the moment and rising to the occasion.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I showed Queen's performance to my elder daughter recently after we watched a National Geographic Channel special about The 1980s that included a segment on Live Aid. I tried to explain to her how it exemplified seizing the moment and rising to the occasion.

Or, in other words, "How to OWN that stage."