1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Little Known National Parks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletimetx, Jan 26, 2021.

1. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I posted about Big Bend NP already, but this thread has me remembering one of my last big road trips with my dad, who passed from COVID a few months back.

I was working in San Antonio, TX, and he drove my van out to meet me, then we we continued west to BBNP. We spent a few days running around the park during the day and watching local cable TV and drinking beer in the mountain lodge at night, then started to long trek back to NW FL, where we lived at the time.

It was a great trip.

5469704669_5a1b44823b_o.jpg

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it isn't on 25. You turn off 25 to get to it.

There are two entry points the west and the east and you cannot drive through the park. I think this is genius and how all parks should be! you must invest time on the trail to say you experienced it.

3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Canyonlands is another of my faves. First time I was there, I took my R80 G/S down a jeep trail from the top all the way into Moab. One of the best rides of my life, if a bit sketchy now and then. (Towards the bottom I met a guy in a Toyota Tercel who asked my “how far to the top.” He was angered by my advice. I wonder what ever happened to him.)

jman72, Big_Bend and Whatizitman like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for correcting me. It is CA 146, that's disrupted, not CA 25. I shouldn't have relied on my memory like that.

But California should come to terms with the fact that these east-west roads (a number in the Sierras) are never going to be completed for through car travel. They should assign new numbers, so disconnected segments aren't assumed to be viable for through travel. Arkansas does this also. It is dumb.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Congaree National Park is a cool place. To the southeast of Columbia, SC, your experience will depend a lot on how high the rivers are. Don't forget to eat at Lizard's Thicket while in the area.

rcole_sooner, teletimetx and Big_Bend like this.
  6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I can't tell you how many times people have stopped me down there asking how to get to the other side and I just say, (looking at their car) 'well, you can take the Gloria road, the gonzales cut off, or go back to Hollister.

The Gloria rd is a fun ride if you aren't scared. I've driven it in a BMW, but not when it was wet.

As for us getting smart and changing it... I would not get my hopes up.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.