1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lithium-ion Pedalboard Batteries

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jammin'John, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Why?
    Is it to reduce hum by being free of wall sockets?
    I know some think pedals sound better with batteries.
    Would this accomplish that?

Ira7 and Nickadermis like this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Is it fully charged ??
    Did I charge it last time ???
    I forgot to charge it, I hope it will last 4 hours, there is no time to charge it now...

This is why I use a power supply, I need wall power to plug in the amp anyway. My battery is never dead or needs charged.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe a 1-Spot isn't good enough for Clapton, but I ain't Clapton, so it's good enough for me.

I couldn't deal with batteries, albeit rechargeable, at a gig.

It's bad enough that my AE, which is synth equipped, needs a disposable 9v battery.

codamedia, RetroTeleRod and Anode100 like this.
  6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I think your misreading the the specs. 500ma is max current rating it's capable of producing, not the mAh rating. If

The spec of 10hr @ 200ma or 20ha @ 100ma points to the big joe being 20,000mAh battery, the Warwick is a 6600mAh battery so will only have about 1/3 the battery life of big joe.

7. Jammin'John

Those points are moot since you can plug it in just like your power supply. So it's even better than your power supply.
    Rechargeable while in use.
    The RockBoard RBO Power LT XL is equipped with powerful and long-lasting, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, to supply effects pedals up to approx. 50 hours or more with hum free 9V DC current.

JJ

Alamo likes this.
  8. Jammin'John

Is that true ?

JJ

9. twobuckchuck

twobuckchuck Tele-Meister

I use the pedaltrain volto. I absolutely love it. One less cable, don’t have to worry about questionable power at questionable venues. And set changes when sharing a bill or opening for a touring act with a complicated setup is fast and easy.

It’s hard to explain what’s so great about it. It just is great when you start using them. You never want to use a cable to plug in again. Depending on what’s on the board I get 5-12 hours on one battery. I only take what I need on my board for the gig or session, though. Long gone are the days of trying to build the perfect pedalboard. From now it’s continue to build my collection and curate a board for the night.

dburns, Nickadermis and Alamo like this.
  10. luckett

luckett Banned

That's correct, mAh is the capacity of the battery.

You can get a generic lithium ion battery and 9V power convertor cable for much less than the batteries in your links.

11. Jammin'John

Where does one get such a device ?

JJ

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been wondering when this would become truly practical and cost effective.
    Batteries keep improving (with a few bad attempts) and we typically have high tech batteries in numerous devices that we rely on every day, so it was just a matter of time before pedal boards no longer needed to be plugged in to 120v humming AC in order to have a tiny trickle of 9v DC.

These days not only do cordless drills run for more than one work day on a charge, it's even practical to run a chop saw on a 20-24v battery.
    Haven't seen a battery powered table saw yet but there's probably on out there.

My Makita 18v brushless drill with 3Ah battery just kills an older 18v DeWalt that's four times the size, and recently it was hit by a wave while I was attempting to save some fence from the ocean storm flooding. The drill was pretty well toast, and the company bought me a new drill and battery.
    Same physical; size battery that used to be 3Ah is now 4Ah or 6Ah.
    The replaced drill is a couple of years newer tech and is almost too powerful, despite being quite light weight and compact. I'd say it's far more powerful than a mid size pro quality corded drill from only 20 years ago. Bind the bit while drilling and it can really hurt you.

Hell we even have cars that go fast and accelerate well on just battery power.

Pedal boards with batteries?
    Not really all that novel an idea, might take some time to sell us all on it though.
    One problem might be the cost of the battery itself.
    A typical cordless drill with two batteries and charger has batteries that cost more than the tool itself.

WRT to rated output of those two products, it does seem a bit sketchy though.
    Given that we need to know, they should make it very clear what the rating is.
    Two 1000ma plugs is likely one 1000ma output, since it's one battery.
    The important spec ought to be amp hours, not milliamps, I'd think, since the measurement is current over time.
    Suggesting 50 hours doesn't mean much either.
    Maybe the fine print covers this?

13. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

14. telemnemonics

How long have you had the Volto?
    5-12 hours seems pretty shaky once you add in some variables like a cold van or an accidental switch getting turned on when not in use.
    There are certainly light enough batteries to run 20 pedals for 100 hours, but the companies may be looking to sell less expensive product while the world gets used to powering battery powered pedals with batteries again.

15. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

I love my Big Joe - I am all about having few cords to deal with, which is one reason I love my Shure wireless.
    All that noise about forgetting to charge it and so forth is just that. Pre gig discipline includes charging the Big Joe and the wireless transmitter. If it's a long set/gig, recharge the Big Joe on break. Always have a one spot handy for a quick change if necessary. If you forget to charge the battery and/or the wireless, what else are you going to forget? Strings, picks, cords? IMG_2159.jpg

mfguitar, JayFreddy and Alamo like this.
  16. Alamo

It does.

RockBoard®Power LT XL Specifications:
    • Batteries capacity 6600 mAh (3 li-ion battery á 3.7V/24.42Wh)
    • Cycle life: ≥ 500 times
    • Input for power supply via Micro-USB
    • Input charging time: about 7hrs
    • 1 x Micro-USB-input 5V/1.0A
    • 1 x USB-output 5V/1.0A
    • 2 x independent power outputs for pedals 9V/1.0A
    • 4 LED light display (blue LED light)

17. Alamo

You jump in the car to drive to the gig.
    got no money or card on ya and...... the fuel is empty. :lol:

18. luckett

luckett Banned

Anywhere that sells fine electronics junk from china. You want a 5V to 9V USB converter cable with 5.5mm/2.1mm center negative barrel connector. Most are center positive so you'll need a polarity converter if you can't find a center negative cable

19. telemnemonics

Your math makes sense but the manufacturers specs seem odd.
    Why would a battery with triple the capacity only be rated for 500ma output, when the smaller battery is rated for 1000ma output?
    Maybe because they want to discourage us from trying to run more than 500ma worth of pedals off the supply?

Right @Alamo , the Warwick specs at 6600mAh, which is a real spec.
    But the Big Joe specs stating 10 hours at 200mA seems kind of evasive, like why don't they just give a battery spec?
    What exactly happens after 10 hours drawing 200mA?
    The battery is dead?
    The battery starts delivering only 8v instead or 9v?

Going by the 10 hours at 200mA draw Big Joe, and extrapolating to the 1/3 smaller capacity Warwick, the Warwick would die in about 3 hours running just a digital reverb and a digital delay. Is that what we're looking at?
    With the battery tech available to easily put more Ah/ mAh capacity in a package the size of a single pedal, why make a product that barely does the job?
    Or if we compare something like running a 55ma DD on an internal old tech 9v battery for maybe 3 hours, how can the latest tech lion battery only manage essentially four times the life span of a little 9v duracell?
    Seems like fishy math.

Maybe the difference is that pedals keep running as battery drops to 8v and 7v, where the mAh spec on the Warwick is the point where the supply falls below 9v.
    This could be the reason Big Joe claims the number of hours your pedals keep running, rather than an actual Ah/ mAh spec, because they figure the pedal is still working when the battery delivers between 8-9v for the last couple of hours in that claimed 10 hour life span.

20. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Different battery technologies give up energy at different rates. I have packs for electric Sailplanes that give up energy very rapidly without damage from the heat created. But they are very expensive compared to normal packs .

I have a Volto. it is QUIET ! And convenient

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.