Listening to long-lost live tapes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 13, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Today my great friend and former bass-player posted on Facebook a live recording he had discovered on Youtube. It was our group playing at a well-known local club (SF) in 1980.

He was especially enthusiastic because it was his first performance with us, and he was just a kid.

I listened to it - it's 8 songs, 27 minutes long. It was so much fun to hear it again. The recording is bad - taken off the board, which was so popular back then with recording nerds. They were way more in to recording - off the board! - than they were in to listening to the group, so you end up with a lot of vocals (frequently out of balance), and lots of little bits from the instruments that were mic'ed the loudest. The main instruments (like my guitar!) are almost completely missing, because they were rarely pushed through the board. The bass is always there, as are the kick, snare, and overhead drum mics.

But even so, it was just such fun to listen to it. I remembered every part of every song; I could hear everything I was trying to play, even if the recording tried to deny me! The vocal harmonies are sketchy, but I remember how we were trying to do like the Everly Brothers.

It made me very happy to hear that old recording. We never went on to any success with that group, but our short career did indeed bring me to Holland where I met my missus (39 years ago). So that's a big WIN, in my book!

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very cool. There's one of my old bands that did a good bit of diy on-the-cheap recording. I'd love to have those songs again, but I don't think anyone I know has them available anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.