1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

List your top 5 amps.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CapnCrunch, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Keep on Truckin

Keep on Truckin TDPRI Member

1968 Gibson Ranger RT twin
    1974 Fender Bandmaster Reverb Twin ( Head in a Silverface Cab )
    1990's Fender Super112
    Peavey Delta Blues 15
    Crate V16 Palomino (Made in St. Louis. USA)

Fiesta Red and CapnCrunch like this.
  2. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Sorry; Couldn't stop at five.....
    Marshall 1959 SLP
    Marshall 1987X
    Marshall 2204 (had)
    Dr. Z Prescription ES (have)
    Vox AC30C2 (have)
    Fender blackface Vibrolux Reverb (had)
    Fender blackface Twin (have)
    Fender Tweed Princeton
    Boogie MK I (had)
    Boogie MK IIC
    Hiwatt 103 (had)

CapnCrunch likes this.
  3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I like Fender amps...obviously

1. 66 Deluxe Reverb that I longer own. Crapped out one night, had it fixed but never sounded as good afterward.

2. 65 Princeton Reverb, still have it.

3. First Generation Bassman Reissue, still have it. I’ve owned a few of these but this particular one always sounds perfect.

4. 66 Super Reverb. Still have it.

5. 71 Twin Reverb, no longer own. This was a really great sounding Twin, wish I still had it.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Absolutely no need to limit yourself. I was hoping people would list amps they've owned, played and have experience with. It's interesting to guess at the "amp journey" that people have gone on. Your list makes me wonder if you evolved from classic Fenders into Boogies then on to Vox and Marshall, or the other way round. Or maybe you're a rare player who loves Marshalls and Fenders at the same time. I haven't run into to many of those.

5. robbysturgis

robbysturgis Tele-Holic

5. Fender M80 Solis State powerhouse - currently has a Celestion Type V G12 70-watt speaker - sounding as throaty clean as it ever did.

4. Fender Deluxe Reverb - nuff said

3. Fender Bassbreaker 15 Combo

2. Fender Blues Jr. - stock bedroom amp.

1. Fender Blues Jr. w/ Bill M. mods. Currently has Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker.

6. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

current or recent:
    1. 1970 Deluxe Reverb set up with 2x10 JBLs and running 6L6s
    2. 1968 Twin Reverb
    3. Fender Super Champ XD with JBL D110F,running 6L6s
    4. Fender Blues Deluxe running 2x10 JBLs
    5. Roland JC 120 or JC77

#3 _561.JPG

20190104_001050.jpg

20180518_164225.jpg

20190117_125513_001.jpg
    #2 on R, with #1

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm stuck on the Fender BF/SF sound. First choice is always the Twin, but really any of the 6L6 models will work. If I had to choose a modern amp, I'd probably go with a Two Rock.

8. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

Fender Super Reverb, Blackface
    Fender Super Reverb, Silverface
    Fender Pro reverb
    Fender 6G3 Deluxe Amp
    Bluetone Twin

9. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

I've wanted a Wallace for ages, since I saw Adrian Utley has one he uses on sessions. Can never find one!

10. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

1. my DIY amp that’s like a cathode biased 6g2

2. blackface fender bassman (any of them)

3. Princeton reverb

4. Ampeg V4 or VT-22 (any of them)

5. Vibrochamp

Actually not sure whether I prefer bassman or PR. I like blonde deluxes and DRs “alright,” but for me they’re sort of a tone vs power compromise between the big bottles and little guys. I really want to try my hand at a cathode biased tweed pro.

I’m not really into British amps or speakers, though I can get down with an AC30 for cleans, or an OR120 for heavy stuff.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  11. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Clark 5E3
    1962 Brown Deluxe
    Tweed Super Clone
    Victoria Double Deluxe
    Victoria Low Power Twin

JJ

12. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

The one I have.
    The one I had.
    The one that got away.
    The first one I had.
    The one I'll never be able to buy.

Jerry J and Jay Jernigan like this.
  13. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

1) vht2150 with royal overdrive or quad cortex as pre

2) vox ac30

3) fender super twin reverb

4) Marshall Joe satriani

5) supro thunderbolt

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm pretty attached to the fender stuff.

what I have: BF Tremolux head home made 2X10 cab, eminence 1028K's; SF Princeton no-verb, and a SF Bassman with original 2 X15 cab.

What I would like

Brownface Concert
    BF Super Reverb
    Tweed Pro

yeah, that would do it.

Having said that, I am slightly curious Orange and would like to try a Marshall or two. I had an old Ampeg Gemini II, sold it. We'll see; no rush.

15. dbirchett

dbirchett TDPRI Member

Gretsch Executive (by Victoria) with JBL D130F
    Fender BF Deluxe Reverb with Jensen Speaker
    Fender SF Deluxe Reverb (blackfaced electronically) with Weber Ceramic California speaker
    Fender Vibroverb RI with Ragin' Cajuns
    Music Man 65-210 with Weber Ceramic Chicago speakers

But the one that I play through the most:

Fender SF Bronco (Vibro Champ) in custom cabinet (larger) and Weber California 10" speaker

16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Too late to edit so I will add:
    Honorable mention to Pro Jr.
    If I can find the right speaker for it, it will, probably, rise up the ranks.
    I made the mistake of running it through a Motion Sound SRV 112 cab and now...

17. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

No doubt, my '73 Fender Super Reverb 4x10, and my VOX AC30CC2. Best two amps ever made in music history! My Garnet Deputy - Killer amp! And I have a 1959 Valco tube 15" amp that's awesome!

Several more I own are "top 5'ers." But they'd be ties for 3rd and 4th place!

1). Fender Super Reverb, tied with VOX AC30CC2 KILLER amps, different sound.

2). Fender Twin, tied with VOX AC15C1 Basically the same as #1 above, but smaller/lighter.

3 & 4). Big list, from Fender Princeton Chorus to Ultimate Chorus (later named Ultra Chorus) And the Fender Super Champ X2 is WAY under-rated! WAY! I run that through a MojoTone 4x12 with Celestion Neodymium speakers, and it's KILLER! i DID AN OUTSIDE CONCERT IN A PARK. Couldn't turn up past 3 volume! Too loud! And it was a Blues and Latin Rock gig. Loud and super clean till you get it past 5 or 6! These heads are rated at 15wts. They are SO under-rated it's ridiculous! Buy a head, and run it through a decent cab! I tried it through a Fender 1x12 cab. HUGE improvement. Then through a 2x10. WOW! THEN . . . through the 4x12 with Neodymium Celestions. CRAZY!!!

5). The Boss Nextone series of amps. I own 2 Stage 40wt 1x12 amps now. I run them wet/dry, not stereo. One through the MojoTone cab, the other through a custom made 2x10 closed back cab.
    If you need more power, the Artist is 80wts through a 1x12. Plus there's the new Special. Also 80wts and 1x12 with a lot more features. These amps have a tube circuit switch option. You can go from 6L6 to 6V6 to EL34 to EL84 just rotating a dial. Go from Fender Twin to Fender Vibrolux/Deluxe Reverb, TO VOX to Marshall!

For me, personally, it's about getting the best sound, (NOT the best price) and the right weight!

I'm 72. Recently switched my PA to (2) Bose L1 Compacts and (3) Fender Expos. All linear array systems. Light weight!!! Powerful! Super sounding. Bose are super transparent. Fenders are sweeter, warmer. I use all 5 systems. And switched to the Bose Nextone amps because they're SO light! And sound great! I love the tube selector option! I can go from 6L6 to 6V6 to EL34 to EL84 just rotating the dial! So I can go from Fender Twin to Fender Deluxe (or Vibroluxe) to VOX to Marshall. Seriously, I'm 72, been gigging since '65! And I love the Nextone amps!

Lets face it. There are at least 30 or 40 amps that could be listed at the top 5. Or even top 10! It all boils down to just a few things.

Guitar pick up config of choice. Genre'. How/if you use pedals or a processor. (Hmm, why did the font just change!?!?!) How you stack pedals, if you stack. And . . . personal preference!

I started out, in my younger days, using a Fender Super Reverb, Fender Twins, and VOX AC30s'/15's. When I got older, I started using the Fender Super Champ through the MohoTone 4x12 cab. And now, I use the Nextones.

Side note: One of my other favorite amps was the Garnet Deputy 1. Killer amp! If you're not familiar with Garnet, his amps, the Herzog, or if you're into Guess Who/BTO, Buffalo Springfield, etc out of Canada, check them out on line!

18. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

54 supro Comet
    57 champ ri
    ECVC
    Vibro Champ
    PRRI

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. voodoogreg

voodoogreg TDPRI Member

Trainwreck Liverpool special edition
    Matchless dc30 (Ken Fischer modified.)
    67' Plexi super lead 100.
    Komet 60, (Ken Fischer modified)
    Egnater rebel 20.

20. Hamstein

Hamstein TDPRI Member

Various amps for different uses....not really in order
    Mesa Lonestar Special 2 x 12
    '74 HH IC 100 for Wilko Johnson duties, Guaranteed to cut the front row of the audience in half! I have a '76 as well as a spare, or for stereo, or for when I really want to do some hearing damage by stacking up the two. ( reckon that only counts as one choice though)
    '77 Phoenix PHA1 - weird hybrid with lots of tonal options and a mean high gain chunk
    70's Colorsound Mighty Atom Busker, great little thing for noodling anytime anywhere, ah the joy of batteries!
    Tweedy version Blues Junior - for practices because it's light, does the job ok, and more importantly - humping the mesa up many flights of stairs to practice is getting too much for me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.