Liquid Drain Cleaner

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
I used plungers. They always work...

Until I rented my current apartment which has two apartments into my tub drain.

Nothing, I mean nothing worked. I have 3 snakes and 2 plungers. I plunged it for almost an hour one day.

The cheap knock off brand draino did nothing.

I bought the pricey stuff as a last ditch effort. It amazingly worked.

Problem is with this place he has everything from 2 apartments going down one drain pipe. And I swear the lady upstairs who hates my music throws gallons of grease down to clog it up every couple months.

He has two showers, two kitchen sinks, and two bathroom sinks going to my shower drain...

Yes I am moving soon.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
We have two heating objects that are too big to run at the same time on the same circuit. A large countertop Microwave, and a large countertop electric toaster oven. My wife will come and say, I forgot again, that means, go reset the breaker. I foolishly pointed out that if she keeps doing that, we will most likely have to replace the breaker if not something more serious. She said, listen Mr. Goofus, I've heard all of that before. Unless you want to come in here, and rustle up your own grub, just shut up about it, reset the breaker, and don't say anything else about it. If it breaks, we'll fix it, now shut up. I puffed up my chest mightily, readying myself for battle and said, yes dear.

My stepmom has the same issue from bare minimum rough in electrical work... Electricians never run enough circuits. They hate running extra wire. Ymmv

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Does anyone have any experiences with drain cleaners like Drano, Liquid Plumber, etc. that have actually worked? Time and time again, I have tried variations of this product & followed the instructions exactly, only to end up with a nice smelling, clogged drain. I end up either snaking the drain or plunging.

IMO these things are snake oil. Industrial strength...commercial strength...it's all BS strength to me.

Whatcha say?
I haven't found any of those to be more effective than baking soda and vinegar. My house has very hard water and the kettle needs descaled every 2-3 weeks. Since I'm boiling vinegar for that I just put pour some baking soda in the drain and put the hot vinegar in after.

The heat loosens the grime and the bubbling helps move it along.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
One trick that I have used is to put the plunger on top of the drain after I dump the chemicals in. The gas pressure build up can help force the clog out.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Just remove the p-trap and clean it out. If it is the bathtub/shower, stop giving your dog baths in it.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
One trick that I have used is to put the plunger on top of the drain after I dump the chemicals in. The gas pressure build up can help force the clog out.

This is the perfect way to splash acid all over yourself.

I had a customer swear she didn't use any drain chemicals before I got there. When my gloves started melting, she suddenly "remembered"...:mad:

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
yeah, the innuendo in this is off the charts:

"My wife swears by vinegar and baking soda followed by a large pot full of boiling water. Works on everything but hair clogs."

baby baby baby
Liquid Plumber Kitchen Industrial Strength Gel worked for me when vinegar and baked soda did nothing
This thread has oddly made me feel, dirty...
It seems there really is a good side to everything.

Telecasterless

Friend of Leo's
I've seen what that stuff does to worn out pipes, eats right thru it. My plumber showed me that once. Seems like the snake method is best just to be safe. I would never use that stuff again. Plus as others have said, pretty toxic.

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
I’ve used this product several times with great results…
4EB92876-9836-46BE-A9A1-FA661829BF4A.jpeg

…but never in my plumbing. It has the same ingredients used for hot bluing on guns. I made a small tank just long enough for the barrel of the gun to be blued and then boiled it outside on a camp stove for 20 minutes. Nasty stuff, lots of PPE) but the bluing comes out just beautiful.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
This is the perfect way to splash acid all over yourself.

I had a customer swear she didn't use any drain chemicals before I got there. When my gloves started melting, she suddenly "remembered"...:mad:

I suppose that could happen if you aren’t careful which you obviously have to be.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
We had a shower with a short drainage run to an outside gully. A total blockage yielded to the plunger eventually and out popped a mole. A bit dead.

mXef9pWQ6wzGKdfog5mnTn-720-80.jpg

Dr Improbable

Tele-Meister
Toothpaste is often a factor in clogged drains. There's always more "gunk" in my traps than hair. For the shower you remove the Tub/Shower switch, there will be a pipe in there the vents from your drain. Plug that with a wet washcloth and you will get ultimate suction when you plunger.

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
All the P-traps in my house were glued together ABS fittings I changed them all to slip nut fittings pretty easy to remove them to clean. I did use PVC traps. I have one Sink that drains extremely slow I have a 20' snake that just doesn't seem to help. My fear is the drain pipe (under concrete) is not graded enough (1/4" to 1') or graded to much.

Ted Keane

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
NO!

I am a licensed master plumber. Just no...

You'd be amazed at how effective a plunger is if you know how to use one properly. (God, that sounds weird).

Plunger, if that doesn't work, snake it. I wish I took pictures of my neighbor's melted kitchen sink drain last month.
Another Plumber agrees.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
We are required to use cast iron waste water pipes by code. As long as you rinse and repeat corrosion/melting isn't an issue for the better part of 40-50 years. Pipe slope can be an issue due to settlement/earth moving. It is predominately an issue between houses and streets. We had back flow preventers installed because the grade to the street is not good and heavy rains used to flood the garage.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Does anyone have any experiences with drain cleaners like Drano, Liquid Plumber, etc. that have actually worked? Time and time again, I have tried variations of this product & followed the instructions exactly, only to end up with a nice smelling, clogged drain. I end up either snaking the drain or plunging.

IMO these things are snake oil. Industrial strength...commercial strength...it's all BS strength to me.

Whatcha say?

Depends on the type of clog. Has worked fine for me multiple times in apartment living. Preferred to having the maintenance staff come in.