Liquid Drain Cleaner

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
Does anyone have any experiences with drain cleaners like Drano, Liquid Plumber, etc. that have actually worked? Time and time again, I have tried variations of this product & followed the instructions exactly, only to end up with a nice smelling, clogged drain. I end up either snaking the drain or plunging.

IMO these things are snake oil. Industrial strength...commercial strength...it's all BS strength to me.

Whatcha say?

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
NO!

I am a licensed master plumber. Just no...

You'd be amazed at how effective a plunger is if you know how to use one properly. (God, that sounds weird).

Plunger, if that doesn't work, snake it. I wish I took pictures of my neighbor's melted kitchen sink drain last month.

Last edited:

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
If a client has used any drain cleaning product I charge them a hazardous chemical fee. It will burn you and mess up your clothing if it gets on you. If your pets come into contact with it they can die.
If the issue is in the trap there’s a decent chance it will work. If the blockage is more than a few feet down the line there is a 100% chance you just wasted your money

Draino, Liquid Plumber, Hot Shot, Mule Kick, muriatic acid, sulphuric acid…..NO!

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Does anyone have any experiences with drain cleaners like Drano, Liquid Plumber, etc. that have actually worked? Time and time again, I have tried variations of this product & followed the instructions exactly, only to end up with a nice smelling, clogged drain. I end up either snaking the drain or plunging.

IMO these things are snake oil. Industrial strength...commercial strength...it's all BS strength to me.

Whatcha say?

When I have had a clogged sink due to soap build-up (I believe shaving cream is the culprit), Draino works. I have never had any luck with Liquid Plumber.

I don't think any drain cleaners work well on hair.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Whatcha say?

When we had our condo in Myrtle Beach, the building super, a former plumber, was adamant that we should neever evre put something like Drano or Liquid Plumber down our pipes. He said that stuff was really bad for PVC plumbing. He recommended that we use Greased Lightning if we had to pour something in our drains to work a clog/slowness.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
When I have had a clogged sink due to soap build-up (I believe shaving cream is the culprit), Draino works. I have never had any luck with Liquid Plumber.

I don't think any drain cleaners work well on hair.
Vinegar and baking soda for face basins, shower/tub drains and kitchen sinks

Im a believer in Roebic products. Mostly enzymes

bsman

Friend of Leo's
We've used the "volcano" method (the aforementioned baking soda/vinegar) on several occasions where it has worked. When it hasn't the plunger or snake has always done the trick. Flushing harsh, corrosive chemicals down the pipes is bad, m'kay!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
We use that new hydro pressure plunger..great..

I also have a couple of those 15 zigzaggy thingies..

Drano gel last gasp

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
We're in an apartment now, but I have memories ( recurring) of buying all the liquid drain cleaners ( dangerous chemicals and fumes), they never worked. And a snake or plunger got the job done.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Had a plumber come to snake a drain that I couldn't clear, and he blew out the wall of an old pipe that had nearly rusted through. Caused a big mess and a fair amount of damage.

All the chemical drain cleaners are corrosives and will eat through metals and PVC with enough exposure. You're hoping that you can time it right so you flush them after they eat through the contamination, but before they start eating into the pipe. That's pretty risky.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
C291F2B7-9B03-469B-B5A0-FA7CC81FAD57.jpeg
9ACDEE0C-FFD3-4776-B9FF-E9A6F52BB196.jpeg
784224AC-FC32-4D7D-B62E-C058C9D3F23A.jpeg

Tools of the trade

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Depends on what's stuck in there and where.

Drano I only use if I know there's a hair clog in a bathroom drain.
Hair resists plunging, and drano is easier than snaking.
Drano does dissolve hair well enough to rinse or plunge away.

Really seldom use it though.
Once last season at work in an occupied room, worked as advertised.
29 guest rooms, 33 rooms with plumbing, plunge and snake most often, possibly every week but there are three of us on call for that.
Maybe every couple of years the drano comes out.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
NO!

I am a licensed master plumber. Just no...

You'd be amazed at how effective a plunger is if you know how to use one properly. (God, that sounds weird).

Plunger, if that doesn't work, snake it. I wish I took pictures of my neighbor's melted kitchen sink drain last month.

^^^ This, right here. There are no shortcuts.