Lipstick pickups: Seymour Duncan vs stock Danelectro

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by burgrluv, May 9, 2021.

1. burgrluv

burgrluv TDPRI Member

Currently refurbing a MIC dano i picked up on the cheap. Hate the look of the frosted gray pickups, was going to replace them with some stock Danelectro LP-1s (about $35 a pickup) until I stumbled upon some Duncan SLD-1s at $70 a pop.

Not only are these pickups getting harder to find (seems like SD is focusing on the strat model atm while the bridge model has all but disappeared) but most listings on ebay have them going for about $85 a pickup.

Has anyone compared the Duncan's to Danelectro's current offerings?

Seem's funny to to pay big bucks for a boutique pickup that was essentially designed to be cheap, but if they're anything like the lipsticks in my old Silvertone, I'd be more than than happy to cough up the cash.

Thanks in advance,
    Burgrluv

[​IMG]

2. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Love Danos. Have owned a pair of Innuendos for 20 years.

Replacements may well sound better…

But modding them seems to ruin their charm of being so cheap/awesome from the factory.

hard to believe that in the late 90s GC would have 30 of them on display, for less than $200.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Danos

burgrluv likes this.
  4. burgrluv

burgrluv TDPRI Member

Yeah, in this case I feel like the mod in question is brining it closer to an original aesthetic, but I see what you mean and I couldn't agree more: a Dano's greatest strength is its spartan charm.

5. burgrluv

burgrluv TDPRI Member

Just found what is probably the best lipstick shootout out there (to my knowledge) if anyone's interested: https://www.fretfiles.com/the-fret-files-episode-29/

The Danelectro reissue pups have noticeably less shimmer in the high end when compared to the Duncans or Nep-Tones. In fact they all sound pretty great, both the Duncans and Nep-Tones hold up very well to the originals. Might have to buy me some Duncans.

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've never seen the innards of a lipstick. Hadnt really thought about its specific size/build.
    artec-lipstick-pickup-inside-1.jpg

7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve owned lots of Dano’s and enjoyed their lipsticks. I have a Squier Surfcaster that has Duncan Designed lipsticks and they sound fantastic , brighter and cleared than the Dano version. I liked them so much I bought a new Warmoth neck and new trem bridge for the guitar and it’s a keeper. Since the Duncan Designed sound great I imagine the real Duncan’s would be even better? 79F65865-A6BA-460F-9845-981BD9B9BE53.jpeg

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I have no experience with them, but if it turned out that the SD was much closer to a real Danolectro pickup, that wouldn't be weird.
    Seymour Duncan is a decent pickup manufacturer capable of copying a classic pickup. The current dano company is the result of someone buying the name to sell pedals, who started making guitars because of demand. SD was making lipstick tube pickups before the current Danolectro company was in business.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.