Lipstick advice...

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I am ponderin' my next Tele partscaster project. Probably a cheap Squier body, but I would like to play with some lipstick-cover pickups. I have never used them before and I don't recall playing a guitar with them before.

1. What are their main characteristics? I am under the impression they are fairly weak compared to most modern pickups. I will likely buy cheap ones - preferably under $50/pair. GM or Bootstrap, if BS offers them.
2. Should I go with two, or just in the neck position?
3. Will a neck-only lipstick pickup be overpowered by a cheap Bullet Tele bridge? If so, can it be managed?
4. 3-way or 4-way switch? I don't know how the two mixed pickups would sound together.
5. Other pitfalls? I would prefer to mount on the pickguard as it seems easier.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I think maybe a bit more rouge would look nice? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist ;) Seriously though, I like the looks of em but I've read conflicting reports on those types of pickups, but they might be awesome? I don't know. If I were to do it, I think I'd only put one on the neck and I might go with a 4 position switch for more control? I'd prob go with a 50's style bridge pickup. FWIW and good luck on your project man! Lookin' forward to seeing what you come up with!

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I am ponderin' my next Tele partscaster project. Probably a cheap Squier body, but I would like to play with some lipstick-cover pickups. I have never used them before and I don't recall playing a guitar with them before.

1. What are their main characteristics? I am under the impression they are fairly weak compared to most modern pickups. I will likely buy cheap ones - preferably under $50/pair. GM or Bootstrap, if BS offers them.
3. Will a neck-only lipstick pickup be overpowered by a cheap Bullet Tele bridge? If so, can it be managed?
4. 3-way or 4-way switch? I don't know how the two mixed pickups would sound together.

I can't speak to what they sound like. The originals had a spring loaded mount. The new ones come in a flat mount arrangement or you can get the original spring loaded type too. Be aware that there is a strat pickup length and an original length. The cheap ones say they are alnico in the titles but describe them as Ferrite below in the description.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't speak to what they sound like. The originals had a spring loaded mount. The new ones come in a flat mount arrangement or you can get the originals. Be aware that there is a strat length and an orginal length.
Yes, I forgot to add that to my list. I would probably go Strat-length, don't you think?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't speak to what they sound like. The originals had a spring loaded mount. The new ones come in a flat mount arrangement or you can get the original spring loaded type too. Be aware that there is a strat pickup length and an original length. The cheap ones say they are alnico in the titles but describe them as Ferrite below in the description.
I just found this article which is very helpful.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I *think* you have to use strat length to fit normal tele routes. I started a partser for a friend and then he told me he wanted to put lipsticks in it. Never have finished that one lol.

I‘m looking at my Danelectro and the pickups are way too long for tele routes.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I *think* you have to use strat length to fit normal tele routes. I started a partser for a friend and then he told me he wanted to put lipsticks in it. Never have finished that one lol.

I‘m looking at my Danelectro and the pickups are way too long for tele routes.
That was my understanding as well.

As I always said "Extra length is just wasted." But then, my last date was during the Reagan administration...

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Color choice depends on whether you're a summer complexion or autumn complexion.

Har!

I have a few guitars (Danos and a Strat) with lipsticks. What makes them so good is there's no other pickup that does what a real lipstick does: trebly brightness that's perfect for strumming because it cuts through a mix without being loud in the mix. Add a boost or overdrive, and they work well for lead stuff.

Lipsticks are not the ideal pickup for everything, but especially if you're recording it's a supremely useful tool to have in the box.

Lipstick-Strat.jpg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Color choice depends on whether you're a summer complexion or autumn complexion.

Har!

I have a few guitars (Danos and a Strat) with lipsticks. What makes them so good is there's no other pickup that does what a real lipstick does: trebly brightness that's perfect for strumming because it cuts through a mix without being loud in the mix. Add a boost or overdrive, and they work well for lead stuff.

Lipsticks are not the ideal pickup for everything, but especially if you're recording it's a supremely useful tool to have in the box.

Lipstick-Strat.jpg
Do you feel you need an OD or EQ to use them? I will primarily be using an old V-C and a PRRI in CLEAN mode. I don't care much for pedals.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Do you feel you need an OD or EQ to use them? I will primarily be using an old V-C and a PRRI in CLEAN mode. I don't care much for pedals.

No, you don't need to pedal them. As with any guitar, pedals simply make it a bit more versatile. An OD or boost fattens 'em up for lead stuff.

I'm not much of a pedal guy either.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Don't know if this helps at all. My Surfcaster 12 String has a pair of lipstick pickups. I have only ever played them clean, so don't know how they would sound when pushing an amp hard. They sound like I imagined a Rickenbacker 12 string would, lots of top end, bright and glassy, but not ice-picky, lots of shimmer. When I later listened to a Rickenbacker 12 I was disappointed by the Rick.

1642615436653.jpeg

dogwatermike

Tele-Meister
I love lipsticks! I have them on a couple of strats and a tele (neck)... My favorite is from GuitarFetish... they are suprisingly "warm" (not too trebly). They have lipsticks that fit strats, teles (including bridge) as well as dano replacement PUs... They are relatively inexpensive.... They sound good clean as will as slightly overdriven... (I don't do hi gain...). They are towards the "vintage/ low output" side of things, but GF says they are wound a little hottter than vintage, which I believe....

I also have a set of rene martiniz SRV lipsticks from mojotone on a strat - they are "brighter" - significantly more trebly. Personally, I prefer the Guitarfetish....

The SRV tune "Tin Pan Alley" is done on a lipstick-equipped strat... check out that recording for an example of that tone...

Cowabunga!

strat54

Tele-Meister

lipstick.jpg

The lipsticks I have played are bright and sharp. They have their own unique tone qualities. Are they suitable for EVERY song you're gonna play? Nope:twisted:. That is why we all NEED more than just one guitar😁! Hopefully, someone on this site can lead you in the right direction on the best lipstick pup purchase. I would want to play some before buying two of them though. I put one in the bridge on this headless guitar I made. It works okay but then again I have different guitars for different types of music. Good luck in your search! By the way this particular guitar can play an awesome version of Death Letter similar to Jack White's rendition.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I love lipsticks! I have them on a couple of strats and a tele (neck)... My favorite is from GuitarFetish... they are suprisingly "warm" (not too trebly). They have lipsticks that fit strats, teles (including bridge) as well as dano replacement PUs... They are relatively inexpensive.... They sound good clean as will as slightly overdriven... (I don't do hi gain...). They are towards the "vintage/ low output" side of things, but GF says they are wound a little hottter than vintage, which I believe....

I also have a set of rene martiniz SRV lipsticks from mojotone on a strat - they are "brighter" - significantly more trebly. Personally, I prefer the Guitarfetish....

The SRV tune "Tin Pan Alley" is done on a lipstick-equipped strat... check out that recording for an example of that tone...

Cowabunga!

Here is Jimmie Vaughan playing that guitar:

(watch his solo then go watch the whole video because it is awesome)

BradKM

Tele-Afflicted
I've got an all original '61 Dano and a '64 that I rebuilt using a GFS pickup. There's a very slight difference, a tiny bit more sparkle from the original, but the GFS is 99% of the way there. Considering the price and various mounting options, I don't think you can go wrong with them.

I've also got a couple of unrouted Dano-style Tele bodies that I'll be build out eventually. One of them with have GFS lipsticks, likely in either a standard or Nashville Tele layout.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
I love the ones I’ve played. The best to me were the Seymour Duncan Strat size. They are not as overwound and compressed as some if the others. Worth the cost if you’re going that route.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
If you really want to do this, go all in on a pair of Danelectro's.
Finish with stacked Volume/Tone Pots.
The real Magic is the Middle Position.
I own a Dano Baritone, this really works.
Nathan Daniel invented a very Unique way to get some very cool Tones.