Linux - any succesful and happy new converts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Jul 17, 2019.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Can you share any advice gleaned given the whole WannaCry fiasco that affected so many devices in hospitals running XP?

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yikes! I went away to sleep, and then to work, and now there's 5 pages of replies! Thanks everybody - I will try to read through it all this evening.

3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

mine have all been patched...

who wrote wannacry and why? sometimes our biggest enemies are ourselves..

4. ecole96

ecole96 TDPRI Member

Frankly, I wouldn’t recommend it for a layman. I'm a developer and I reasonably know my way around a Unix terminal, but when I want to use a computer for non-dev things, I just want things to work. Linux is the best it's ever been, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution - you can run into quirky, obscure issues that vary from computer to computer...which you then have to track down fixes for, most of which will likely involve using the command line. I've installed Linux on quite a few of my old computers and I'd say at least half the time it hasn't been perfect upon initial install. For your purposes, the application support would be fine, but you never know when something you need to use wouldn't have a Linux version (you can emulate Windows applications, but they may not work right).

It's absolutely true that it can breathe life into an old computer - Lubuntu and Puppy Linux are very lightweight distros perfect for this (the former being the best for your situation, Puppy is for literal ancient machines). But I usually do this to extend the life of computers I seldom use anymore, not a daily driver. I guess if you've got nothing to lose, throw one of these distros on a disc/flash drive and give it a test run (and if it runs fine, great), but be aware using it full time could be a headache not worth the trouble. I'm admittedly an Apple man (it's a nice medium between the "comfort" of Windows and the versatility/utility of Linux), but you may just want to go for a cheapish Windows machine.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  5. magicfingers99

superuser or root is administrator in windows speak, microsoft stole it from unix or SCO which they ran on campus before they figured out how to network microsoft software. At one time microsoft was part or complete owner of SCO software...

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Right but I guess what I am asking is not "what is WannaCry and whodunnit?" even though that is definitely an interesting topic. What I am asking is, what would your advice be to people using XP in hospitals so that they can avoid other similar Ransomware in the future? I'm guessing "patch your systems" is #1 (confusing to me given that Microsoft does not have to issue any patches for XP?), but is there anything else? Isolate the whole hospital network from the internet? How is that possible?

7. magicfingers99

yeah cause I've never spent days googling obscure errors in windows to try to get things working..

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You're over-thinking this, MattyK-USA.:rolleyes:

Speaking for myself, I made certain suppositions, e.g., the OP is familiar with PC's and has a basic understanding of how an operating system works and how to perform basic command line functions.

I'm no rocket scientist, and I have managed to learn from my mistake, to seek out and get the help that I need, and to make things work.

If I can do this, then ANYONE can do this!

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Correct.

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My other post to you and posts here qualified the audience. For this context I'm sticking with knowing most people are not too strong with tech skills or have the desire to gain them. Most want something that's reliable and pleasant to use. Personally I stick with best practices whether that's at home or for work where I have to be working to keep or achieve security and compliance.

I know what you can do, and also know a lot about the old technology in hospitals as well as how many have poor security. There's a lot in common with tech in health care and tech in my food, finance, and HR realm. A lot of technology and in health care, especially how it's managed should scare people beyond getting a hospital infection.

Your approach is great for some. I hope you understand I'm not categorically against what you like to do or putting you down. This is a targeting the audience thing for me.

:)

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

-- Yes, you are correct about cell towers and gps. However, both of these can be disabled simply by switching a phone into airplane mode or just turning it off.

-- Other than the issue of police, DOJ, DOD, etc., possibly tracking me, my main point is that the smartphone revolution is already here. Most people use smartphones for their interactions with the Internet
    these days. The tipping point occurred in 2016.

-- It is also possible to use something like an iPAD to do an amazing amount of music production, as long as you have the right connectors and adapters. One advantage of this is that things like software drum machines,
    virtual synths, etc., are much cheaper when bought as iOS or Android apps vs. their laptop OS counterparts. In other cases the touch screen increases the natural ergonomics. Rather than use the mouse to land the pointer
    onto the virtual knob, you just touch the virtual knob on the touch screen with your finger.

-- So to summarize I was suggesting that depending on one's actual usage, if one already owns a smartphone they may not need a laptop at all. I personally use a laptop all day long at work. But at home I only use a laptop for
    playing games with my kid and for when I'm using a DAW. For everything else I just grab my phone. I'm already in my house so I don't really care if DOJ, DOD, or anyone else knows I'm at home. That's where they're going to come
    looking for me first, anyway.

upload_2019-7-18_9-53-12.png

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

A lot are not, the manufacturing has been cheapened and the work sent offshore to produce hardware at rock bottom prices.

The pace of technology is much faster in hardware and software than kitchen knives and tube amps and making consumer grade computers cheap due to rapid, inevitable obsolescence is not entirely dumb. The old machines do not have the levels of short term to long term memory or the speed to handle more recent software so it is hard to upgrade anything. Refurbished ipads and other tablets loaded with a later OS are cheap but almost impossible to use and tolerate due to poor processing speed.

jhundt likes this.
  13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I know! I was just musing about the things we use in our daily lives. Computers and knives are not something we can compare successfully.

Every time I use that old H Disston knife - 4 or 5 times a week - I think about what it is; how, where, and when it was made, and how it fits into USA manufacturing history; how it came in to my life, and how it fit into the lives of my mother and grandmother.

Every time I touch that knife, all this flashes through my mind.

Every time I touch my computer, I wonder "has Windows updated and ruined my audio output again?"

I never think about my mother, or my grandmother.

Whatizitman and magicfingers99 like this.
  14. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When my last Windows laptop was root kitted 20 minutes after I booted it up in a coffeehouse, I swore off windows and went Ubuntu Linux. It’s very user friendly.

magicfingers99 likes this.
  15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

At least when windows crashes there are a lot of folks who have been there.
    It has been pretty reliable the past few years, especially for my oracle odbc pass thru routines.
    I would not trust the little penguins for anything serious like that.

16. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm not overthinking squat. ;)

Read what you just wrote! We're talking about advice for a person who admittedly struggles with PCs, with Windows 10 for pete's sake which is the simplest end-user platform there is. And YOU managed to learn from mistakes, seek out help, and make things work. <---- that is not a description of simplicity itself, mein freund :)

So I'm not saying that Linux isn't a great OS, especially for those with a little adventure in their soul. But the adoption rate alone, which is primarily in the corporate world and in the enthusiast world, tells the story. There have been companies, Dell included, that have tried to sell Linux based PCs to the public. There's a reason why that has never been a success.

17. magicfingers99

a cell phone offers no compelling reason to use it as a substitute for a proper computer.

most people won't lose a laptop or desktop as easily as a phone. I once drove off with my phone on my trunk, never done that with a computer...

most people won't drop their laptop or desktop computer and if they do, it is more likely to survive such an occurence.

to my knowledge no one has actually ever dropped their laptop in a toilet, but I've learned to never understimate the stupidity of people in general, so I may be wrong on this point.

there is only one compelling reason to use a phone rather than a general laptop or desktop for internet access and that is mobility. we are being sold the idea that the phone is your wallet, its your bank, its your "insert favorite honeypot here" for a reason. Think about why that might be that they want all your information on the cloud and in your phone.

we all have to do whats right for us, not Chase bank or the government or facebook. Consider whether embracing technology adds to your quality of life or subtracts from it and whether what you trade is equitable and reversible should you change your mind.

me i use my phone for making calls and surfing the web in the bathroom. I have no apps, I have no personal information on my phone other than the minimum I am required.

we are being desensitized to constant monitoring and surviellance, its not terribly hard to extrapolate where this leads. I'll drag my feet rather than run welcomely into the arms of the machine.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Dude, are you serious? Sorry, but unless you are living off the land deep in the back country like Rambo then Big Brother can get you anytime they want to....

19. magicfingers99

computers get faster, but they don't get better. Its not about whats best for you, its about what has the highest margin for the seller.

there is no compelling reason to own any cpu newer than an I7 circa 2012, unless you are doing some very niche things or have inferiority issues and wish to deal with them by buying you way into happiness.

Windows10 isn't an operating system its a surviellance system, and guess who they are survielling?

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

so I should give up? great outlook...
    you don't have to rollover and pretend, you can try to change the world you are in, as a matter of fact its sort of an obligation according to most philosphies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.