1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Linking two amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by xjazzy, Sep 22, 2014.

1. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I remember seeing Mike Campbell with the Dirty Knobs using two amps linked: guitar plugged in one amp and the second input connected to the second amp.

Is it a safe and inexpensive way to feed an amp without tremolo or reverb from an amp with both effects?

I use reverb very sporadically and almost never use tremolo (although I love the effect) and I have a Strymon Flint on my board that sees little use!
    I have the reverb tank on my DRRI broken but it would be a lot cheaper replace it and sell the Flint.
    Selling the Flint I will also loose the stereo output that I use to connect two amps so, I would feed my 5E3 from my DRRI.

Would it work?
    Would the reverb and tremolo be enough to cut it?
    I have to try the tremolo but have no way of trying the reverb since the tank is broken...

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Daisy chaining from the input jacks works pretty good but the effects don't go from one amp to the other. No big deal because reverb on one amp sounds fine next to a nonreverb amp.
    To really do it right an ABY box with ground lifts is the way to go but I daisy chained for years before I bought a Voodoo Labs Amp Switcher. Thats really an ABCD box.

3. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I just tried it.
    Also tried using the reverb pedal in mono and daisy chain the amps (I was thinking about a Hall of Fame mini) and it's completely different from using the reverb's stereo ouputs.

I think I'll keep the Flint...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.