Link Wray 'Rumble'....can you count it?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by boneyguy, Sep 8, 2019.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I only suggested that it might have been part of the reason.. The reason usually given was because of the things you mention but having a wonky, off kilter count, could easily contribute to it's sense of menace to the folks that banned it....we unconsciously pick up on and are affected emotionally by these things, is what I'm suggesting.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah....lots of blues players did similar things....even in some Chicago blues.

I would also agree that his sense of timing, regardless of bar count, is awkward....he awkwardly (to my ear) anticipates the beat at times in a way that doesn't sound purposeful but accidental. If I recall correctly he just came up with this song in the studio...they needed another tune for an album and he just started playing this and that's what got recorded.

A similar interesting song to try and count is the Presley version of 'Mystery Train'....!!!

howardlo likes this.
  3. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I think that's it. I don't know enough about Link Wray to know if he's intentionally out-of-tune or not. But either way, it works.

As a musician, I consider it my job to understand the finer points of what works and what doesn't. The only real question is whether something is effective, and why.

boneyguy likes this.
  4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

The tune is in 4/4, with one 2/4 bar tossed in at the turn-around. Where exactly that 2/4 bar is placed could be open to debate, but I would place it on that slightly-arpeggiated chord right before the descending 8th-note-triplet run.

JayFreddy likes this.
  5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist TDPRI Member

Just play "Shoot Out the Lights" by Richard Thompson. It's almost the same but easier to count. Here he is playing with Elvis Costello and the Imposters. He sounds like he is playing a Strat even when he is playing a Tele:

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the first songs I ever played. I don't remember a timing issue. I have had problems with other songs though and what I have found were different recordings messed me up. Could it be that "Rumble" has the same issue of different recordings? I'll see if I can dig up my notes on that song.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know, I don't even think about such things. You won't be confused if you just play it. I do know you can count steady through the whole song: "1,2,3,4" after the first two chord strokes. I suppose: "1,2 ,chord, chord, 1,2,3,4....."

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Dave Clark Five did a version as well:

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wait a minute, I’m supposed to count???

;)

10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I'd count it (1,2,) 3, 4 |1,(2,3,4,)| (1,2,) 3,4| 1 (2, 3, 4)| (1,2),3,4,)| 1 ......

Chords played on just the bold beats

Digital Larry, Jim603 and Toast like this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Hasil adkins had a strange rhythm too. He changed chords when he felt like it, i don t think he bothered about counting.

drlucky likes this.
  12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know that Rumble had been a banned song.

That's kind of weird.

People's urge to "ban" stuff makes very little sense to me.

Tritone resolutions were banned at one time... Certain books have been banned repeatedly.

It's actually still illegal to grow certain plants in your home.

I hope that someday we will look back on the era of banned plants with the same sense of amusement that we reserve for banned intervals and books.

So... Ten bars of 4 and one bar of 6?

boneyguy and T Bone Slort like this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I would count it very accurately, I suppose...

14. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

You can count it that way, sure. Comes out the same as adding a 2/4 bar. But, to be didactic here, the tune starts off with two one- beat lead in, or "pick- up" notes. To put the "one" in the right place, those lead- in notes should be counted as "three- four." So the 2/4 bar is actually making up for the two beats you dropped, so to speak, at the beginning.

But, you know, that's just being a smarty-pants. Lots if songs have pickup notes without having a measure with a different time signature thrown in. OTOH, there's no rule against changing time signatures within a song, even for just one bar.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's just a stroll, As a matter of fact, that's how it was invented, on the spot, when Link had a request to play The Stroll.

Music isn't math, Thank goodness. And those who insist on making it so are egghead buzzkill spoilsports :)

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Count? If you are counting, then the descending single note line with the B7 chord is best counted in 2’s or in 4/4 with the last measure being 2/4. The charred break......the drummer and the bass player had best be tuned into what Link Wray was doing at the moment, I figure.

The sound?? You need this...but the white tone tab in the middle of those five tabs needs to be pulled up...taken out. Only the highest frequency tab to the far right is needed for ‘Rumble’.

215E9D4F-074E-4212-9F28-A1242D809CAA.jpeg

drlucky and blowtorch like this.
  17. Wally

Or...given its longevity and influence, perhaps this one is primitive and not trivial at all???

blowtorch likes this.
  18. Wally

Here is perhaps an even more primitive version....big Marshall with some fuzz going on, it seems. As primitive a sit is in its sound and simplicity, there is no doubt it is formulated to be that way, imho.

boneyguy and Tommy Biggs like this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Exactly!!!
    The rest you just know in your head ( good bass player is the key, IMO) - 3 people playing simple parts- it all just comes together.
    We just played Rumble ( and nailed it!) for the first time in about 10 years- it popped into my head at our last gig, during 1st set.

( our band has been playing for so long, you just forget all the tunes you know!)

This song is raw, distilled R&R- makes you feel and sound badass when you play it!
    I count us in ( just to get tempo)
    1 2 3 4
    1 2 BRANG BRANG BRAAAAANGGG!!....
    the rest is on auto pilot

drlucky likes this.
  20. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

This is simple. It's in 1/1-time at a prestissimo tempo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.