Link, the movie with the chimp that goes crazy.

THX1123

Tele-Holic
From IMDB:

Tagline: "Man is no longer in control!"

"Student Jane jobs as an assistant for the animal researcher Phillip in a lonesome old house. They live alone except for the chimpanzees and butler Link: a 45 years old very intelligent orangutan. Phillip wants to put Link to death. However before he can do this he's vanished tracelessly one morning. Link starts behaving more and more aggressive and prohibits Jane from using the phone or reaching the next village. When she punishes him by locking him out, he becomes violent."

Soundtrack includes "Apeman" by The Kinks.

I have already thought too muchly about this.

The writer of the above synopsis might have adverb problems. Fortunately there's now a prescription solution for that - Eufluent™

When Link is missing, does he become a Missing Link? Was this the intent, or the whole premise they built this whole thing on? Or does Phillip go missing? It isn't clear. Is Elizabeth Shue's character's name "Jane" intentional as a Tarzan reference? Was her full name - "Jane Chase" - too literal to change from rough drafts, even for this film?

If you remove the words Orangutan and Chimpanzees from the above synopsis the film becomes something else entirely. If modern Hollywood remade this film and replaced the primates in the film with human characters and actors and "changed it to reflect the actual world we live in" the film could stop being entertainment and become screetchingly strident and unnecessary, and therefore a potential Oscar nominee. If you made every human character into a primate and the few primate characters into humans would you then have a franchise?

In truth I would watch this just to admire some vintage Shue.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Better than crushing animals?
From what i have read, sergio leone had no second thoughts about killing injured horses. Nowadays, animals appearing in movies are treated very well. Probably better that b movie actors. This was probably not the case before. I.e. the scenes in apocalypse now, cannibal ferox, and various other cannibal movies. Those are truly disturbing and i don't like those animal abuse scenes either.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
From what i have read, sergio leone had no second thoughts about killing injured horses. Nowadays, animals appearing in movies are treated very well. Probably better that b movie actors. This was probably not the case before. I.e. the scenes in apocalypse now, cannibal ferox, and various other cannibal movies. Those are truly disturbing and i don't like those animal abuse scenes either.
Agreed, for want of a better term, ‘animal rights’ is very much to the fire these days, a good thing too