Line switcher for multiple Joyo "amp" pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lefty73, Aug 6, 2020.

1. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Maybe I'm over-thinking this. Perhaps a simple ABC box gets me where I'm looking to go?

What I have: Joyo American Sound (AS), Joyo AC Tone (AC), and Joyo British Sound (Brit)

These are my "amps". Clean, overdrive, lead.

How I have them set up: Line 6 HX Effects FX Loop 1 Send into AS input, AS out into AC in, AC out into Brit in, Brit out into HX Effects FX Loop 1 Return.

Main output of HX Effects goes to PA/powered speaker/FX loop return of any amp.

The issue I have: turning one Joyo on and another off at times produces a very audible popping noise. This is annoying at home, and I can't imagine it would go over well at a gig or while recording.

Back to the first line of this post - if I want to go from Clean to Lead at the tap of a button, what's the "best" way to do that?

HX Effects can be set to toggle between its two FX Loops, though it doesn't get rid of the pop.

Would any of these switch back and forth between the "amps" without making a pop?

• Boss LS-2 - seems nice, though I think I'd be limited to two of my three "amps".
    • A/B box - only two of the three Joyos make it, and I'd have to find a way to combine two Joyo outputs into one HX Effects FX Loop Return input.
    • Programmable loop switcher like Boss MS-3 or ES-5 and the like - seems like overkill, though maybe the only way to do it.
    • MIDI hub like Morningstar - again, a lot of potential, though seems like overkill.

I suppose could just choose one Joyo and run with it, though I like all three quite a bit.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Tonebone makes some devices for amps that eliminate popping or grounding issues.
    I use a common switcher for pedals only.

lefty73 likes this.
  3. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I think I may have found a somewhat budget-priced alternative to a MIDI switcher or Lehle-quality switcher.

EHX Tri Parallel Mixer:

Seems like it's priced around $140 USD, which when factoring in the $120 USD for all three Joyo boxes, still keeps me under the $300 USD mark.

A drawback is all those send/return cables... maybe I should just bite the bullet and get rid of the Joyos and go for something like the Sansamp PSA 2.0 or Line 6 HX Stomp. Or just go full Line 6 Helix board...

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

There’s probably a switchable loop device that can toggle between loops that would do what you need, but I don’t know specifics. I wonder though...have you tried a clean boost, or slight compression with output boost, in front of any of the Joyos? Might end up with some redundant tones, but switching one thing on/off in front of whichever Joyo is active would allow a rhythm guitar/lead guitar transition with less tap dancing...and might be configurable with what you already have.

I have the British sound and am still exploring it...what I’ve found so far is I like it best as a tone-shaper that is bright and pretty clean. One of the to-do’s on my list is to try boosting that clean-ish rhythm sound and see how the pedal circuit reacts. Does it do anything fun/weird/unique? Hope so.

I like the basic character of its crunch but it just sounds like some crunchy distortion pedal to me that way. On the clean end of the dial, the flexibility of its EQ seems to come to the forefront...

Anyway, having said all that, your parallel preamp character switching idea is a cool one and I hope you’ll post updates as you try stuff.

lefty73 likes this.
  5. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Yes! And they're all quite wonderful. All drives, boosts, comps, and fuzz come from the HXFX and are configured to go before the Joyos. My issue is I can't decide on just one Joyo to use as my main amp. I think if I absolutely had to, I'd choose the AC Tone, followed by the American Sound, then the British Sound. This doesn't mean British is inferior to the other two, it's more like a 1A, 1B, 1C ranking.

I'm still plotting out on the back of a napkin, so we'll see how it works and if I go with it. It just seems like there should a solution that isn't so cable-intense. Ironically, one of the reasons I got the HXFX was to get rid of cable spaghetti and it seems like I've put myself right back into that mess, only from a different viewpoint. :)

6. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, Radial's stuff is top notch for all kinds of applications. The trick here is these Joyo amp-in-a-box pedals are exactly that - pedals. Radial's BigShot switchers might fit the bill, I've started reading up on those and there looks to be some potential.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Something like this from Thomann is probably the cheapest way to do it;

upload_2020-8-7_14-7-59.png

lefty73 likes this.
  8. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Best one I've seen yet, though being the US makes it tough to get. Dang! Amazon's not turning up any results. Perhaps a spin over to Reverb or Ebay is in order.

9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

There werre Joyo and Valeton versions at similar prices, and Thomann are pretty good for delivery to the USA. Plenty of attractive Harley Benton guitars and Celestion loaded cabs at attractive prices if you want to spend some money.

PhredE likes this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Have you looked at this guy’s stuff? Lots of options, including custom, and the prices seem reasonable:

https://www.loop-master.com/loop-switcher-p-68.html

I like the idea of a world where someone can own a current Line 6 device and use a bunch of its distortion, fuzz, comp and boost features...and still value something like the Joyos as distinct additional flavors.

You’re making me think about using my Joyo British Sound with my Zoom B2...

PhredE and lefty73 like this.
  11. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Just tried to checkout with the switcher you posted as a reply, and shipping is $33 USD. That's a "no". Dang, looked nice too.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Look up youtube video "breja toneworks aby pedal" as that my be what you want.

Some popping can be eliminated with a 1meg resistor across the switch (you'll need to find diagrams for where to solder), look up the 'kill switch' guitar wiring to find it where people install arcade buttons to stutter the sound without pops.

lefty73 likes this.
  13. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

You need a loop switcher. I can’t find one cheaper than the EHX, but you can definitely go smaller with fewer knobs. Some are even advertised as clickless.

https://reverb.com/item/34881702-loop-switchers-clickless-4-channel-true-bypass-looper

lefty73 likes this.
  14. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

NOW we're talking! Super fair prices. Thanks for sending this along. Ages ago I think I stumbled on this company's site, though I haven't thought about it in years.

And to your other comments, thanks. I like to think my ears work, despite all the tinnitus. :) I'm sure Line 6 would love to keep me in the Helix ecosystem as far as amps are concerned, though the benefit/cost ratio for the Joyos is just so nice. I mean, $40 for each one, and they're all distinctive flavors of grit and grind. I think I enjoy that it's a "Fender-y sound", for example, as opposed to a specific Fender amp.

I'll have a look around the Loop Master site to see what I can find. The one you linked to might be a winner, right out of the gate.

15. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

BorderRadio and lefty73 like this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

How much tap dancing do you want to do?

Do you move the 'amp' loop to different parts of the signal flow? A simple looper will only mean you have to hit a foot switch twice. You'd have to hit the looper pedal along with whatever sound you're looking for. You basically lose the HX as a controller, and you are still hitting as many switches as before.

A Midi controller looper will fit the bill though, namely a Disaster Area Designs DPC Micro. Three loops for your always-on Joyos' (no pop), signal running out of your HX loop, and use Midi PC/CC commands triggered by the HX to initiate which 'amp' loop is active.

https://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dpc-micro

EDIT: There is even a switch-less version, which would be fine in your case, as the HX is the primary controller.

DPC.micro_front-1.jpg

lefty73 likes this.
  17. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

The FX Loop block in my HXFX stays the same. It's purely an insert to get the Joyos in the signal path after comp/boost/dirt and before delays/reverbs.

So... that Disaster Area... is really interesting. Especially since I could start dabbling in MIDI, which is where some really fun yet practical applications come into play.

BorderRadio likes this.
  18. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

No doubt a great piece of gear. About $200 too expensive, and loaded with features I'd likely never use.

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In your case, to get that "go from Clean to Lead at the tap of a button" with external pedals, a Midi looper seems to be the only option. Copy and past those PC/CC codes to every sound/patch, you'll eventually remember what number corresponds to each 'amp'.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A common switcher, without some form of internal grounding help, may still pop.

I use the plain aluminum LoopMaster ones on two boards. They are low priced and quality parts. But they have no electronics to solve issues with pedals that cause popping. I dont seem to have much popping problems even with 6 or 7 different brand pedals, but there may be an occasional pop. Not even sure.
    https://www.loop-master.com/looper-p-29.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.