1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Line out on Fender Super Champ X2 question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gary in Boston, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hell all,

I'm doing some recording with a Tascam deck and all though it has some amp modeling I much prefer the sounds you can get from the Super Champ etc.

When I am record late at night I want to do so without disturbing my family so it seem like line out is the way to go.

However, when I plug in to the line out then in to the TASCAM the speaker in the Super Champ is still active?

Is there a way to silence the speaker?

I know I could simply un plug it but isn't that bad for the amp ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If the amp has a master you could turn that to zero. Usually the line out is coming from the preamp.

Otherwise, get a big 20-watt 8 ohm resistor and wire it to a jackplug.

3. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

I bought the head version back in March with the intention of silent/bedroom recording with it. I sold it in October.

Among other reasons, I discovered the volume into my DI from the line out was controlled by the volume(s) on the amp. So in order to get a good 'pushed' tone from the amp's line out, you had to turn up the amp itself, thus defeating the purposes (at least in my case). Also, the USB out did not work for me but that might have been more of a software issue; YMMV with that option.

Do not operate the amp without a load attach, i.e. speaker plugged in. You’ll damage the amp without one. Unfortunately, I didn't discover a way to silence the speaker while getting recording sounds.

Hope that helps!

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

^^^What these folks said, above.

Channel 1 tone depends on the amp's volume, so there's nothing much you can do about the volume except for put an attenuator on it that allows zero output. Channel 2 tone is the same, except the master can be turned down to zero. I've never tried that, so I don't know what the result would be.

Do not run the amp without the speaker or another resistive or reactive load attached to the output.

IMO you need a good solid state amp that will work the way you want. That, or get a Tech 21 Blonde or Joyo American Sound pedal. Either is a good, versatile Fender amp sim with cab/speaker sim built in. Run either one straight into your Tascam like you would with an amp line out. You can put either pedal in front of your SCX2 when you can crank the amp.

5. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Pull your power tubes. Or the 12ax7 but leave the speaker connected.

6. Gary in Boston

Hmmm OK does anybody know of a good pedal the could be used instead of the Super champ that I can go directly out of and into the TASCAM.

Thanks

Gary

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

H&K Red Box or Tech 21 SansAmp.

Check 'em out.

8. Gary in Boston

Or going back to the 20 watt 8 ohm resistor............. in its' simplest form you have a 1/4" male jack and wire one end of the resistor to the positive of the male jack and one end to the negative of the male jack......... correct ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.