1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Line 6 POD Go - Speaker Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by lmjmitchell, Jan 31, 2020.

1. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

This may be a really silly question, so please bear with me.

I saw that the Line 6 POD Go was supposed to be released in a few months.

I'm trying to learn to play guitar and this seems like it might be a good piece of gear that would last me for a while.

Since this unit includes amp modeling, are you supposed to hook it up to a plain speaker cabinet instead of a regular amp? It seems like a standard amp would distort the sound.

If so, what kind of cabinet should I be looking for?

2. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

for playing at home a pair of studio monitors will sound great, or a line 6 power cab, or any FRFR pa cab, like a headrush 1x12 or 1x8 they are 299.00 - 199.00............

3. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

Any FRFR cabinet will do. The Alto TS212 can be had relatively cheap on closeout.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you are just learning, and are not sure about how gear works (no offense but from your question it sounds like this is all pretty new to you), you might want to just plug it in to your stereo at home or use headphones. Then if that isn't working for you or you get to where you want to start playing with other people, you can get a powered studio monitor, powered PA speaker, FRFR cabinet, or yes, a "normal" guitar amp.

Personally, my advice to a beginner is to NOT get something like a Pod at first. Get a good-playing guitar and a basic amp, a metronome and a good teacher. Once you can play a little bit, then it might be fun to spend a bunch of time learning about the sounds and so on, and messing aound with gear like the pod. But basic skills are the essential ingredient to making music, and learning the guitar takes lots of time, and there is nothing in a pod that will make it easier.

5. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

6. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

No offense taken, as a lot of this is new to me.

20+ years ago I bought a MIA Stratocaster and a decent amp and played for maybe a year.

College rolls around later that year and it's been sitting in a closet ever since.

I'm not completely lost on guitar, but I have a way to go. I still remember some basic stuff.

The Pod Go caught my interest, as I like the idea of one piece of gear being able to effectively emulate a variety of amps.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  7. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

The Line6 POD Go will plug into a PA, or a guitar amp, or both simultaneously. The amps sims can be turned off as needed.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    lmjmitchell likes this.
  8. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Since you are not totally new to guitar, I think you are on the right track. I did something similar a long time ago when I quit playing for a while. The POD will be fun and should keep you interested.

9. zat48

zat48 TDPRI Member

You'd need some sort of power amp- so you could use a powered FRFR PA speaker, a guitar amp (use front input if NOT using amp modeling, FX return if you ARE using amp modeling), or even a stand alone power amp into a speaker cab.

10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Also, if using the return, disable the cabinet model since you'll already have a speaker and cabinet that aren't flat.

11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Funny that people acknowledge it's a beginner question yet still throw around acronyms like FRFR, assuming he will know what that means.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.