1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Line 6 Pod Go or Headrush Pedalboard??

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by rocknerd, Dec 15, 2020.

1. rocknerd

rocknerd TDPRI Member

Hey guys! I'm looking for some advise on this. I'm in the market for a modeler, and these two have caught my attention. If you were to choose, which one and why? Are there other options in this price range?

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Hotone Ampero

rocknerd likes this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

The Headrush Pedalboard is more than double the cost of a POD GO so I find this an odd comparison and question.

Are you saying your price range is $450 - $1000? That's a wide range to try and compare specs/features fairly.

rocknerd and Jakedog like this.
  4. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I have a Helix LT and it's awesome. The Pod Go is just a simplified version of the Helix, so it should work well for you.

rocknerd and Drew617 like this.
  5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking he meant to type Headrush "Gigboard ".

rocknerd likes this.
  6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Actually looking at the current offer the difference is not that much if you need FRFR speaker to go with it.
    The Headrush includes their 8" speaker which sells for $220 until the end of the year.
    The Pod Go plus speaker would be $669.

rocknerd likes this.
  7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Line6 has top notch customer service, Headrush is toward the bottom of the list in that regard.

rocknerd likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very happy with my HX Effects paired with Helix Native.

rocknerd likes this.
  9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

My suggestion is don’t skimp if possible. Get the Helix LT.

rocknerd likes this.
  10. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm just one data point, but the only effects modelers I've liked have been L6 units. Particularly, I think their reverb and modulation models are excellent. Like nearly everything discussed here, I'm sure it depends on what music you play, with whose hands, on what gear, what effects you like, etc.

I've got a Pod Go now, mostly used as a small-footprint pedalboard replacement into tube amps, and occasionally as an amp modeler for silent play or into my computer. I usually don't have amp and cab sims turned on, and tend not to layer a lot of effects, so to my knowledge haven't run up against any of the Go's resolution limitations versus the Helix units. Ignoring features and I/O, the Helix should sound the same if you don't bump against the Go's limits, and better if you do.

I have tended to be an annoying analog-into-tube guy where practical, but the Go was just too convenient and works brilliantly for me. I ended up breaking up and selling off most of my pretty decent pedalboard, mostly Keeley-EQD stuff and a Topanga. I can't hear any compromises like I could with older/cheaper modelers. To be fair, I don't much rely on drive pedals, and hadn't really bonded with the EQD drives that were on that analog board most recently.

rocknerd likes this.
  11. heyslowfinger

heyslowfinger TDPRI Member

100% Line 6.
    • They are constantly updating all of their Helix family firmware/effects/amps etc.
    • One of the biggest online support groups (Facebook + Forums + YouTube)
    • User Interface on all their Helix products are very simple to use.

If your range is between $400 - $1000, I would get the HX Stomp.
    You have more options than the GO (8 blocks for effects/amps, routing, smaller footprint, list goes on).

If you can save up, the LT would be the better option.

I literally sold all of my amps/pedals and have ONLY been using a Helix Floor, Rack and Native (PC) since 2017.
    Best investment in gear I have ever made.

rocknerd likes this.
  12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I use a Headrush Gigboard. I also have the Headrush FRFR108 cab. I am happy with them.

My last 6 videos from this posting were made with it.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCzzrqFoU8rC09MfzpD8wqpg

I would say, you can't go wrong with any of the newer modelers nowadays. I think no one is better than the other. They all have their good qualities, as well their share of bad ones too. I have been a modeler for awhile. You should be fine with whatever you pick as long as you have the newer ones where you can load IRs.

I'm not loyal to any brand. I like trying out others as much as I can. I have had the Headrush Gigboard for a year now. I am planning to try out the Boss GT-1000CORE soon.

Happy hunting!

rocknerd likes this.
  13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I have to disagree. They replied to my query promptly. But, i didn't contact them frequently as there was no need.

rocknerd likes this.
  14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The POD GO is a wonderful device with a lot going for it. Great sounds, huge community of people using it and building presets for it, some of the best customer service you will ever get from any company, and a super easy to use interface. It has a few limitations that you should consider:

1. Processing power (DSP), while adequate is not what I would call abundant
    2. You cannot eliminate the amp and cabinet. You can disable them, but they will still use some DSP
    3. Five of the blocks in your signal chain are fixed. One is always a Wah, another is always an EQ, another is always and amp, another is always a cabinet or IR, and another is always a volume pedal. You can choose which wah, and which amp, etc, but you cannot assign a delay to the EQ block (an example).
    4. MIDI support is very limited, but most people who are buying the POD Go probably won't be using extensive MIDI anyway.

Even with these limitations, I think its a great multifx / modeler. My main device is an HX Stomp, but if I didn't have that, my POD Go would be my main device.

I don't own a Headrush, so I can't compare them, other than to say that many people feel that the touch screen is gimmick, and the UI is just not as good. I've also heard some say that the sounds aren't as good, but I bet there are some that would say the same thing about the Line6 sounds - personal taste.

rocknerd and littlebadboy like this.
  15. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Kinda different, but the Strymon Iridium is worth a look. Much simpler, great tone. If you already have a pedal board, this could be perfect.

rocknerd likes this.
  16. codamedia

Maybe... maybe not. OP has not clarified this and I refuse to assume anything.

Do we know the OP is looking at that option? (which is a great offer by the way)
    If he is he didn't mention it.

My point is... this is a futile exercise until the OP clarifies what he is actually comparing ;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The most important thing to consider is how you'll be using it. If most of your playing will be in a group situation, a floor unit is ideal.

If you'll be using it to record with, a desktop modeler is a whole lot easier to use because the controls are easily within reach; no bending double to twiddle a knob or press buttons to program patches.

18. rocknerd

rocknerd TDPRI Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm looking at the Headrush Pedalboard w/ the free FRFR-108, which is why I'm considering this one over the Gigboard. I know that the price difference is a large one. I like both units, and was looking for opinions on each. I'm looking for an all in one pedalboard rig, or as close as I can get to one. I really love the idea of individual pedals, but for the overall cost I'm leaning toward the modelers. Ease of use and $1000 price cap.

19. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

How about a Fractal FM3? I'd get a Pod Go before Headrush, since the Pod Go uses the same modeling as a Helix.

20. codamedia

I'm a Helix user.... and would strongly recommend that platform more times than not.
    However... the Headrush PedalBoard is more along the lines of a Helix LT than it is a PodGO, plus it comes with a free FRFR.

If price is a concern and features are a desire - I can't help but suggest you go with the Headrush deal.

rocknerd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.