1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Line 6 M5

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mistermullens, Apr 17, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I've read through old threads on the M5, but I'm not really finding answers, so here we go!

I'm getting mixed reviews on this pedal, despite most of them being positive. The pedal was suggested to me because I am currently in the market for a Tremolo with a stereo out. The M5 seems ideal because of that option, but also because of the fact I don't use Tremolo on that many songs, it has a ton of other effects built in, not too mention the tuner, I could probably use occasionally. I'm basically getting extra effects for free and not shelling out cash for fuzz, uni-vibe, reverse, echo, etc.

I don't use a lot of pedals to begin with, and having the M5 would allow me to have a good tremolo and pull my tuner off the board. If I get the expression pedal, I can pull my Wah off the board as well.

That would leave my pedal board looking like this: (Wah)>Reverb>M5.

Here are my questions.

1. How reliable are these pedals in a live situation? If it's hit and miss, there's no point in getting one.
    2. Do any of you use the expression pedal+wah?
    3. While I mostly use my amp for overdrive, the general concensus of the OD is okay at best. Still the case?
    4. Have there been any updates to the pedal since it's introduction?

There aren't a lot of recent reviews on these, so I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

2. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

I can't speak on the M5, but I've used Line 6 pedals extensively live and in the studio and have never had a problem with reliability... and they've gotten knocked around a bit. I will say that if you can't try out the pedal check out You Tube demos of the pedal. I'd stick with the ones done by stores, as most of the ones done from someone's basement don't really tell you anything. As for reviews, I'd consider the source. I've found that a lot of them are written by people who haven't spent any time with the item they're reviewing. It seems that most are posted when the person just got the thing and it's barely out of the box. haha!

3. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

1) Never had a reliability issue with a Line 6 M-series device in a live situation.
    2) Keep your wah. The expression pedal is good for some of the other effects, but imo the wah options on these units aren't worth it.
    3) A few of the drive models are pretty good and can be quite useful - most are not that great and many are pure trash (imo). None of the fuzz models are good.
    4) Check Line 6 support for any firmware updates that have been released.

The real strength of the M-series stuff is in the delays, verbs and mods. And even within those there are a couple that just don't cut it very well (uni vibe and rotary speaker models come to mind - although not completely useless in certain situations).
    The M5 in particular would seem the most difficult to use for differing effects in a live situation because of the limited control options. A midi switching device (as simple as a bank up/down switcher) would do well with the M5 to get the most practical use of the different effects in a live situation, imo.

A better option is the M9 from my point of view. Either way though, I think the only thing you'd find yourself losing from your board is your tuner. Instead, I think it more likely you'd find yourself adding more to your board when all is said and done.

If all you really need is a trem pedal with stereo outs...have you looked at the EHX Pulsar?

4. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I have the M13 and while I like it a lot there are a few things it does and does not do well.

Reverbs, echo, clean boost ( they call it tube boost ), compression, tremolo, chorus, pretty much all of the modulations effects it does pretty well.

In my opinion it does not do distortions, fuzz, Uni-vibe, volume, or wah very well. Lots of stepping and digital artifacts on those last two.

The Uni-vibe i think my standards are just too darn high!

I am also not a big distortion user so maybe others would like it.

Would I recommend the pedal, in a heartbeat, as long as you know what you are getting and do not expect more then that out of it.

-Harry

edit: Oh ya, the tuner, fantastic and it kills your output till you are done tuning!

5. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

This is good stuff, guys. Exactly what I'm looking for, so keep it coming!

As a matter of fact I have. I was real close to pulling the trigger on one until the M5 was suggested. I may be leaning back that way.

6. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Wow... I'm a proud M9 owner and everything I thought about contributing to this thread has already been said right here by hongaku.

I do really like using the expression pedal with the M9. I wouldn't use it as a wah because of where it's placed in the signal path (and because it's a model) but the delays and mods are really good and can be tweaked with the expression pedal. Settings are really easy and auto-save, and I've gigged mine for over a year without any reliability issues whatsoever.

7. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I should have made more mention of when the expression pedal is useful.

It actually is very cool as you can program each effect to use it differently, so as an example on one "patch" I have it set so that as I move to the toe position the sweep on my chorus increases as does the length of the delay, go to the heal and they decrease together.

I have another where the EQ changes as I increase the delay repeats, this allows me to filter out some of the treble as I get to deeper delay settings.

8. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Because one Digitech Whammy pedal isn't enough for me, I often use the expression with the pitch bender effect and use it as a back-up whammy. You can set it as extreme as -24 at heel to +24 at toe - great for dub step sims. :cool:

More subtly, I have it set to the repeats parameter on my delays so I can make ring out long decaying repeats in certain parts or blend in repeats. Set it to delay mix to blend in delay subtly. Set it to reverb mix to give you the ability to dial in reverb with your foot. SOOOOOO many possibilities, limited only by your own creativity.

9. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I should probably utilize the expression pedal a lot more...

10. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

I had the M5 for about a year. I hated the OD's and distortions, but the delay, tremolo, reverb, phaser, and other effects seemed pretty good. The only reason I no longer have it is that I found I was only using the delay and ended up trading it with somebody for a DD7 with the FS-5U footswitch for tapping. If you are thinking of getting an M5 for the modulation effects I think it's a pretty good choice.

11. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I used an M5 for delay/reverb, but got rid of it because it didn't save my presets very well. 3 times I programmed it and it would randomly forget all my presets at very unfortunate times. I would go to my reverb setting and get a q-tron type effect. Cool, but not when you need reverb

12. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

I would say get the M9 instead, just for the flexibility of having 6 effects ready to be used. With an expression pedal you will be pretty much set.

Having said that, I sold mine and the Mission Engineering expression pedal to a family member because I could not read the display anymore due to my increasing bad eyesight. So now it's separate pedals since I can see at a glance what my settings are.

You can score an M9 used for not much money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.