1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Line 6 M13?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Lance, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Hold the flames....I'm not ditching my nicely Klon-loaded pedalboard for one.

But, I'm wondering what others thought about the M13. It seems like Line 6 has a pretty cool product. It actually looks like a multi-effect unit with the usability of individual effects.

But the sound?

2. zeeman

zeeman Tele-Meister

One of the best pieces of gear I've had in a long time. I still use some pedals for dirt, although the M13's are surprisingly good.

3. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

I'd be curious to try it out. But who knows if I did the modeling thing this would be the only modeling piece I would consider.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

they arent models i dont think

5. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

I think the problem I'd have with it is I use more effects at once then you could with a "scene" but really not sure. There are times when I have Vibe, Trem, Delay,fuzz and od going so it may not do it for me.

6. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Well - it's all modeling. The difference is that the M13 (and their other stomp boxes) don't include amp models.....but the effects are still models

Maybe I'm just feeling lazy. I've got a very nice, simple board (tuner, Klon, OCD, Eventide Time Factor). It's really all I need. My playing isn't needing anything fancy since I'm not with a band anymore. Heck, I'm embarrassed to say it but I've even been satified enough to jam with Axis29's little Line 6 practice amp rather than bothering with my rig.

On the M13, I'm just wondering if it changes the tone of your guitar and amp so it no longer sounds like your guitar/amp.

7. zeeman

zeeman Tele-Meister

If you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters. I play through a 5E3 clone and IMO the M13 is incredibly transparent. I mostly use the delays and reverbs and they are stellar.

I've tested the transparency by putting it in true bypass mode and then clicking a slight reverb off and on. The tone remains unchanged to my ears.

I have pretty good ears but certainly not the best. I've directly compared the m13's models of the phase 90 and tube screamer with the real thing hooked up at the same time and with just a bit of tweaking got them so close that I couldn't tell which was which. The hardware is quite a piece of engineering. I could care less if it's digital, analog, or something in between. I just like the sound and the package. I've tried multi-fx a couple times in the past and hated them. I still like me some pedals but the m13 has found a permanent place on my board.

8. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Dang Zeeman.....you were supposed to say it sucked. Now I have to think about buying a new toy!

It is consistent with what I've heard....that it's a really good gizmo. I'll have to audition and see what I think.

PS - any concern with the physical hardware? I know Line 6 has used plastic parts in the past in very stupid places.

9. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

I've only seen it in stores and catalogs, and it really looks neat. I would consider getting one if I didn't have all the pedals I could ever want...

10. zeeman

zeeman Tele-Meister

Seems very solid to me, all metal construction... on the outside anyway. Time will tell but 4 months of stompin hasn't phased mine. I'm just totally impressed with it.

11. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

I just switched to an M13 from a Boss ME10 that I had been using since 1992. The Boss ME10 unit has been an awesome unit and I would recommend it to anyone...if you can find one in decent shape (They haven't been made for years). I have been on a hunt for probably the last 4 years trying to find something that I could replace the Boss ME10 with only because it's totally worn out for years of touring and gigging. I've tried all the new Boss stuff, other line 6 stuff, Tonelab, digitech, TC Electronic....you name it, The M13 it the FIRST item that I can say that I'm actually happy with...and honestly, the more I use it....the most I think it's actually sounding better than my old Boss unit did...which is saying alot coming from a tone junky like I am! It scores a BIG A+++ from me!

12. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Ooooo.....you guys are making this difficult!

13. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Hit GC this afternoon and checked out the M13 extensively. Some a$$hole kids replaced all of the scenes with a setting that caused the amp to screech - very embarrassing. Oh....and the GC brainiacs had the M13 plugged into a Line 6 amp with a pile of models and effects running - a total circus. It made the M13 sound like a cheesy toy. I kicked that thing aside and plugged in a Blue Jr as it appeared to be the closest to a real amp in the area.

Regardless, I did check out the sounds and liked what I heard. It seemed very easy to use. As I said the children in the store messed the unit up so I had to dial in reasonable sounds from scratch. It wasn't too hard but there were none of the examples to check out. I think I could get a decent overdrive out of a few of the patches.....maybe not my Klon but good enough. The unit really shines on the delays. My Eventide Timefactor does two delays at a time.....the M13 can potentially do four (not that I'd want to). With the noise in the store, I couldn't hear if the delay sounds were as studio sounding as the Timefactor.

The looper was very easy to use. Easier than the Timefactor and it can simultaneously run effects too.

About the only thing I wasn't crazy about was how the knobs would jump from their current setting when you turned them....they really ought to change that. It should just be a rotary knob that smoothly change from where ever the setting currently is.

I'm not sure if it was me but I thought the unit used a "No-Save" concept to the user interface. I noticed when I went back to effects that they kept their original sound before I tweaked it. I'm guessing I'm not understanding how editing works.

Oh - construction does appear substantial for real use.

I came away impressed.....but thinking I might have to buy it somewhere where I could return it. Before I sell other toys, I'd need to hear how it actually sounded with my amps. Checking it out at the store really doesn't do it justice.

14. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

you couldn't return it if you got it from GC?

15. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Hmmm....I'll have to check. I've never returned anything there other than stuff that was broken.

16. zeeman

zeeman Tele-Meister

I think GC has a pretty good return policy. If you watch Musicians Friend and Music 123 they seem to sell quite a few blems at a pretty good discount. That's good if you want one but also shows there are quite a few returns. The unit does have its quirks but most are being addressed with software updates. The distortion levels are one of them. The default levels are way to hot. You really need to play with the thing for a while to get the most out of it. This applies to the hardware and the software. Of course, it won't be for everyone so a good return policy is a must.

17. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

Line 6 just released an update today that supposedly fixes the distortion default levels issue...along with a few other improvements. I haven't had the time to update mine yet. I probably will this weekend. Also Lance, there are two different ways to 'save' settings within the M13. One is autosave...which does just that. If you tweak an effect, it will automatically save that setting whether you turn off that effect, change the scene, power down the unit, or whatever. Then there's manual save, which allows you to tweek an effect without saving it. I have a feeling the unit you tried had been set to manual save by some kid messing with it in the store. The factory default is autosave....at least mine was anyway. Also, American Musical Supply just got some in that are B stock for $399.00. You have 45 days to try it through them. Musicians Friend and GC and ZZounds give you 30 days to try it I believe. Also, Line 6 is offering a free expression pedal with a purchase of an M13 right now (B stock IS included in this offer as well). It's a great time to get one....and NO....I DO NOT WORK FOR LINE 6. Just trying to inform and help you if I can. :D

18. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

You guys are evil.

Just pulled the trigger on a blem unit at AMS. If it turns out that it's a keeper, I'll just sell my Eventide Timefactor for $350....and almost completely cover the purchase. I really didn't want to have to liquidate my other pedals as I really like those for overdrive.

Will report back....

19. fender_bender

fender_bender Tele-Meister

I just pulled the trigger on a B-stock from Sweetwater for $399 + $25 for an Xmidi usb-to-midi cable. You guys DO know that you need a midi interface for OS upgrades right?

Yup... there's no USB on this thing. That's a big failure on L6's part IMO but not a deal breaker. They say usb would've put them over $499 retail and they had to have midi for the rack guys.

Anyway, besides that annoyance I really interested to see what this thing can do.

20. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Yeah - I saw that issue on the MIDI connection. I'll be picking one up this afternoon. Weird - you'd think that MIDI would be more expensive.

Unit is en route.....probably will deliver tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.