Line 6 M13 ......???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by teledubya, Jul 9, 2008.

1. teledubya

teledubya TDPRI Member

So I was just lookin around on the Line 6 website and I found that this was coming out around the end of the month.

[​IMG]
    http://line6.com/m13/

This is the Line 6 M13. I haven't really had any experience with Line 6 products before, but this caught my attention. Right now I have a Boss GT-8 and my amp is, well, is a piece of crap to be quite honest. I don't think this has amp modeling so that might factor in because of my bad amp. So I'd like to hear anyone's experience with Line 6 products, and especially anyone with any information about the M13. I would have just enough money right now to buy this if I sold my GT-8, is this an upgrade, or just wasting money to get something of the same/worse quality??

2. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

My bass player swears by line 6 and wanted me to buy this. This has no amp modeling which if you ask me is awesome. I think this thing could be very cool.

3. teledubya

teledubya TDPRI Member

How would no amp modeling be a good thing?? Not asking arrogantly, but honestly, my amp isn't good by any means, and I don't really know so much about amp modeling.

4. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Amp modeling is taking all the information on what happens to sound when it goes thru the circuitry and speaker system of a particular amp. That data is broken down into mathematical equations, then input into a computer, and mimicked and then transferred into digital information. Sometimes the results can be great and sometimes not so great. However, as time progresses the technology is getting better. You may want to look into the PODxt UX3 Live since that has amp modeling available as well as the ability to download tones and upgrade firmware through the supplied USB connection. There is also the VOX Tone Lab, which also contains amp-modeling programs.

5. vjf1968

In all honesty you should save your money and get a half way decent amp. For what you would pay for some Line 6 products (I assume this thing is going to coast at least $400 if not more) you might be better off in saving your pennies for either a small tube amp (5-15 watts) or one of those Modeling amps from Vox or Line 6.

In other words UPGRADE YOUR AMPbefore wasting money on effects.

6. vortexmike

vortexmike Tele-Meister

I use a Line 6 flextone 3 amp which I've had for just over a year now. I really like it for what I use it for, my own pleasure and amusement at home.
    It does everything, sounds great and can be tweaked to recreate so many different tones, effects etc it can be a bit mind boggling sometimes. Totally reliable and plenty loud for me.

I think that a tube amp would be better for a gigging situation (or so I am led to believe anyway) but it would not be as versatile as I require unless I could afford to have half a dozen amps sat in my room.

I know this is a totally emotive subject and there are lots of players out there who do not like digital modelling amps and reckon only tubes can give that wonderful warm tone; I'm sure they are right, but for me and many others I reckon Line 6 products are great and would recommend to anyone to at least try with an open mind.

By the way, if someone wants to lend me a Deluxe reverb or similar for a week or two to try out I won't say No, honest :p

7. Sargeslide

Sargeslide Tele-Meister

Try the GT8 straight into a PA, it'll take on a whole new perspective for you. The GT's, POdXTL and X3 Live, and Vox Le's are all made to be thier own thing. I use a X3Live into a PA at all our gigs and it is a great peice of equipment. I run it into an amp and it blows chunks! PLUS!, use the presets as a starting point, you can get some amazing tones from all of these rigs if you spend some time with them. The crowds don't care what you use, as long as it is close to what they know, they can sing along, drink, and dance, you could be playing a 2x4 and a Gorilla amp.

Sargeslide

8. vjf1968

I have run my PODXT Live into my TRRI and DRRI and after some tweaking before hand they sounded pretty good. I just use the effects and turn the modeling off. Wee, sometimes I would use an amp model for OD like a PLexi-Variac patch. You should really null your amp's eq and see how the patch sounds then calibrate the patches. After I got confident to gig with this set up I leveled the eq portion of the patches and set my amps eq to where I wanted it and then taliored the patches.

It does take some time but I think it is worth it. But going through a PA is easier and gets the best results in short amount of time. Provided you have a decent monitoring system and a soundman with an IQ above a paramecium.

By the way, if someone wants to lend me a Deluxe reverb or similar for a week or two to try out I won't say No, honest
    Vortexmike: If you lived next store, no problem.

9. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

Granted I haven't always had very good amps but they've all been tube amps and I would never want amp modeling from a pedal to go through my tube amps.

10. CatfishStudios

CatfishStudios Banned

Ive got a PODxt live, complete with amp modeling, which I only use for recording...In a live situation, with a nice tube amp, I would prefer this new product, as Amp modeling just doesn't help my tone in that situation...in fact its counterintuitive to run amp modeling in front of a really nice tube amp, unless you don't like that amps tone...and then why do you have that amp? I think they will sell quite a few of these..as their effects modeling is superb. I would like to have both a POD and this multiFX unit.

11. sloanstudios

sloanstudios NEW MEMBER!

Amp modeling only works either direct into a recording system or into a VERY clean amplifier. Each amp has its own tone, sound, feel and that is what is emulated by 'amp modeler's. The problem is when you take that sound and push it into an amplifier that already has its own tone and feel. You don't get a good quality reproduction as the sound is replicated with the assumption that it will be coming out a clean amplifier, or into a PA directly.

The Roland JC-120 is a good example of an amplifier with little to no tonal characteristic of its own. The only down side is that you are totally relying on the quality of the emulation for ALL of your tone.

The M13 is the best product under 1000. Anything above that and your looking at a Customer Audio Electronics Midi controlled foot switch with rack mounted effects boards like the pro's.

If you want good sound AVOID ALL AMP MODELERS.

(With one exception. I run two line outs from my effects pedal board.
    Line out 1: Direct to effects return on my amp.
    Line out 2: Into a pocket pod with a Vox AC30 amp simulation that runs via XLR direct into the sound board.
    The emulated amp is left at little to no volume and is only there as a backup if a tube go's out in my amp. When that happens the sound guy turns up the simulation just long enough for a tech to swap out the bad tubes and the audience rarely notices that anything happened.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.