Line 6 JT Variax - 59 Model

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Andy Summers, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

A buddy of mine is interested in a trade with me for his Line 6 JT Variax 59. He wants to trade me for a guitar I really never use, so nothing lost. Anyone have any experience with these? I’ve heard and read good things about the James Tyler models. My boss has one and loves it. I’ll ask him more about it too, but thought I’d throw it out here to my brothers here (and sisters too?? You out their ladies?)

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I don't have the JT model, but the Variax Standard with the Yamaha Pacifica body like a strat. The magnetic pickups are a little sterile and don't have much punch, but that can be easily changed.
    I've had no problem with the models dropping out or any latency. Some of the models sound very good, and all the different tuning possibilities are amazing. The only sounds I don't like through an amp are the acoustic models. But through my Flyrig straight into the PA they sound very good, but not with the Sansamp or distortion or boost. They muddy the acoustic sounds.
    The sitar sounds pretty convincing.
    And it seems the battery lasts quite a long time.
    Line6 Variax standard.jpg

Andy Summers likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I think they are super cool. I have a transplanted old one into a tele... the james tyler models are magnitudes better and I love mine... I'd do that trade fo sho! the coolest part is you can customize the settings to fit your wants.

4. Andy Summers

Awesome!!! Thank you guys!!! From what you shared and what I’ve read, I really see no reason not to do it. Maybe I’ll pick up an inexpensive acoustic amp as well for the acoustic sounds.

@getbent..that Tele must be sick!

5. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I bought one when they first came out, and I really enjoy it. The acoustic sounds are just wow .... and my pickups make it sound like a les paul if I don't have any modeling turned on. Mine is a great quality instrument, although it doesn't get played enough.

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Andy Summers

Thanks Festus_Hagen...Yours have the stock pickups still? You can still play these as a regular without the battery, correct? That defeats the purpose of the instrument, but I’m just wondering g in case I was playing g it live and something happened with the batter..died or whatever..

Festus_Hagen likes this.
  7. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

They're VERY cool instruments, and really become even more useful when paired with a POD or Helix. Patch changes on the modeller can also change guitars, for a totally hands-off approach.

I'm contemplating selling off a bunch of stuff and going to a Variax setup, but I'm waiting to see if Line 6 updates them first, since they're out of stock almost everywhere at the moment.

But if someone is offering to trade you one for a guitar you never play? I'd do it. At the very least, the JTV-59 is a really nice LP-type guitar, with some bonus functionality built in.

Andy Summers likes this.
  8. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hi,
    I have the 69S, you can use the magnetic pickups separate from the piezo/modelled pickups, but not together, they are separate circuits and the magnetics do not need the battery.
    Check out the Line 6 HD workbench software for all the cool things you can do with the modelling.

Andy Summers likes this.
  9. Andy Summers

Thank you everyone!! I can’t wait to try this out!! Sound like fun and a good spark of creativity

10. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

Yes, mine still have the stock HB's.

Yes, you can play those no battery. The battery life is pretty good really. 12+ hrs on a charge playing it off and on, and never ran it down .

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

My standard is made in Indonesia, and it plays very good. the neck and fretwork is flawless. But like I said, the pickups are somewhat sterile.
    I may install the works in a donor body some day.
    To show you ease of operation, and you kind of need to set it up first, our last gig we went from a standard tuned song using the magnetic pickups, and with the push of a button I was on the Tele model with dropped D tuning for Pink Floyds Run Like Hell. Push the button again and back to regular.
    Also went from acoustic to electric that quick in the middle of Crazy Little Thing Called Love.
    I would think the foot controller would really be nice.

Andy Summers likes this.
  12. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I have the HD500X and I can program it to instead of pushing the buttons, switches or dials on the geetar, I just stomp on a preset.

Like you said, I like going from a Gibson acoustic to a banjo to an electric in certain songs. Just so easy. :)

Andy Summers likes this.
  13. Andy Summers

Thank you everyone!! Are there volume differences between the presets?

Also, I am part metal head, and the Shuriken (not the baritone scale model) kind of intrigued me too. I’m wondering if there are any differences as far as the sounds you can get...obviously the magnetic pickup setup differs. Anyone mess with one? Of course no one is offering me a trade for a Shuriken, but I’m just curious.

14. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

You can adjust the volumes within the presets to whatever you want 'em.

Andy Summers likes this.
  15. Andy Summers

Cool. So just like Line 6 multi effect pedals I’ve used in the past. Never really cared for those outside of home use though. And even then I found them cumbersome and never liked the “dirty” sounds. Not that that has anything to do with the guitar in question..two different things.I do however, use a Line 6 Spider II for home practice right now and it’s just fine for what it is.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  16. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I've had a 69s for 3 years now. It's my main guitar. I play in theaters, so I can use the modeling and tuning electronics to great effect. For straight-up playing, I use the magnetic pickups, and use the modeling for acoustic sounds and altered tunings. Sounds as good as my Stratocaster. Well made.

bullfrogblues and Andy Summers like this.
  17. Andy Summers

Awesome!! This is good to know.

If you go to the Line 6 page forum, it’s nothing but pleas for help of things not working right. But I suppose not everyone is going to post that they are simply enjoying their guitar. Glad to hear good things about them on this forum. I think Im gonna go for it.

18. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I can't remember having any problems with it, but it is a system and you have to learn to work with it. I wouldn't be able to use it for theaters if it weren't 100% consistent. So far, no complaints. I use it with a pod 500x, but it works fine without. Also, you can swap pickups if you like; the mag pickups work the same as any others.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. Andy Summers

Thanks for the info Garruchal. I’ve beem doing hours of online research on them! Looking forward to playing it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I have a JT-59. I didn't think I'd like the larger neck but I really do. Does it really sound like a 60's Tele & a 50's Strat & a banjo & an acoustic? Hmm..... with enough tweaking & under the right circumstances you could probably get really close. However, do I own half the instruments in there? Nope. So it's 12 string Rick is better than the one I don't have.

The magnetic pickups actually sound good too.

Tunings on the fly? Yes please.

Andy Summers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.