Line 6 / HX Effects

-Hawk-

Friend of Leo's
I am considering one of these as an update (leap perhaps) from my zoom g2.1u. I read some negative comments about the distortion/ od options, is this at all valid...how do the options compare with the usual Boss/TS/Timmy etc pedals?
Has anyone compared this to the higher end boss gt fx pedals ? (I don’t need cab modelling). Thanks

My experience has been with the Stomp rather than the FX, but should still be relevant since it’s the same modeling.

I’ll first say my experience with the overdrives in the Stomp has mostly been feeding them into a HX amp model. I did use the 4 cable hookup for a short time, but not much to share there.

Imo, anybody that only had negative things to say about HX overdrives shouldn’t be listened to any longer. They either have some bias going on or are just bad at tweaking sounds out of a mfx. Overdrives are one of the strongest components of the HX modeling. The Timmy, Klon, KoT, OD1, and others are excellent. I’ve only a/b’d the Timmy, but I can make the model sound indistinguishable to the actual pedal. I’ve seen videos doing the same with KoT.

It seems to be consensus that the Rat model is a turd, but I don’t use it so I can’t comment.

Also, the fuzz models get some poor reviews, but I think a lot of that has to do with impedance. I don’t know if the FX allows this, but in the Stomp you can adjust the input impedance so that it accurately reflects what a fuzz does in the chain. It makes a huge difference, especially with how the fuzz responds to volume controls on the guitar. Sorry, that’s probably more than you wanted to know, but again it highlights my point. A lot of people are ignorant of how to actually use modeling, so instead of admitting as much they tell everyone “it sucks”.

One thing I think L6 excels at is intuitive user interfaces that make workflow very easy, especially for the gigging player.

Can’t comment on the BOSS stuff, other than to say they have a track record of quality as well. At some level, it’s going to be a matter of preference, budget, etc. Try them all out if possible.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
I am considering one of these as an update (leap perhaps) from my zoom g2.1u. I read some negative comments about the distortion/ od options, is this at all valid...how do the options compare with the usual Boss/TS/Timmy etc pedals?
Has anyone compared this to the higher end boss gt fx pedals ? (I don’t need cab modelling). Thanks
The OCD, tube screamer, Timmy, Klon, prince (and king) of tone, and a few others are actually fantastic. The fuzz I found to be kind of lousy, but I was unaware of the input impedance thing hawk mentioned above. I’m going to play with that and see what I think. The Rat is generally not great, same with a bunch of the legacy models(from the older M/pod HD series). But even if you only like the handful that I mentioned, that’s +/- $2500 value not including the great reverbs, delays, modulations, filters etc. I’ve got both the stomp and the effects. I don’t plan on getting rid of either, unless it’s for the full helix. In general, I think it’ll he a good replacement/upgrade for the zoom, and could even serve you very well as a stand alone pedal board. The only drive pedals I keep around are my Nobels ODR-1 and my DOD looking glass, and that’s because there aren’t any models of those yet.

-Hawk-

Friend of Leo's
The OCD, tube screamer, Timmy, Klon, prince (and king) of tone, and a few others are actually fantastic. The fuzz I found to be kind of lousy, but I was unaware of the input impedance thing hawk mentioned above. I’m going to play with that and see what I think. The Rat is generally not great, same with a bunch of the legacy models(from the older M/pod HD series). But even if you only like the handful that I mentioned, that’s +/- $2500 value not including the great reverbs, delays, modulations, filters etc. I’ve got both the stomp and the effects. I don’t plan on getting rid of either, unless it’s for the full helix. In general, I think it’ll he a good replacement/upgrade for the zoom, and could even serve you very well as a stand alone pedal board. The only drive pedals I keep around are my Nobels ODR-1 and my DOD looking glass, and that’s because there aren’t any models of those yet.

Check this video out.

Basically, set the same switch you use for bypassing the fuzz to change the input impedance parameter. I think I set mine at 10k, but worth an experiment.

a wobblin

Tele-Meister
Thanks for your advice - great piece of kit, works well with an attenuated vox mv50 at home, as I think it should with my Pathfinder 15r(not so well with the Greta).....might keep the zoom for a DI (and drums).

dsouza

TDPRI Member
I’ve been using the Hx effects for almost 6 months now. Everything is stellar except the reverbs. Adding a line 6 verbzilla pedal has made my Hx fx into my dream rig!! I play it through a USA strat special and a vox ac10.

sluglas

Tele-Meister
If you are using the HX Effects in stomp mode , how many footswitches do you have to press to get to your next pedal board setup in stomp mode?

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
If you are using the HX Effects in stomp mode , how many footswitches do you have to press to get to your next pedal board setup in stomp mode?
So, when you are in presets mode, you scroll through with the bank buttons and select the preset you want. Then you just simply press the mode switch on the right hand side, and that takes you into stomp box mode. In stomp box mode you have the options of 4 button mode (which gives you preset up/down and 4 stomp boxes) or you can have 6 foot switches operating the different effects. You can assign multiple blocks to the individual footswitch; this is useful to toggle between 2 drive pedals, or to turn on something like a drive pedal, a delay, and a phaser all at once for a solo tone.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
It seems to be consensus that the Rat model is a turd, but I don’t use it so I can’t comment.

The Rat is generally not great,

The original RAT model (Vermin) had some decent tones, but it didn't behave at all like a genuine RAT would. It's suppose to be a RAT, so many people were disappointed.

Line 6 listened to the complaints and added a new RAT model (Ratatouille) in the 3.1 update. THAT model sounds and behaves like a genuine RAT.