Line 6 Flextone III loses treble after a while.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KelvinS1965, Nov 20, 2014.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Hi, I thought it was my ears, but I've confirmed today that playing on my Flextone III the treble will drop after a while and it sounds muffled. I tried turning the various controls (most obviously treble and presence pots) but these don't make it sound clear again, so it doesn't seem to be an intermittent pot.

However, if I turn the rotary switch (which selects the amp), then put it back onto the same amp again, the treble comes backs again for a while. It happens on various amp models, some more obvious than others.

I know it's quite old and not particularly valuable, but it was my 40th birthday present from my OH and family who all pitched in to buy it for me. As much as I'd like to replace it with a DRRi (and I may buy one as well) I'd like to try to get to the bottom of this issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, or knows if this is a common problem, please let me know. :)

2. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

I am a big fan of the Flextone III amps. I own 2, and have owned a few others over the years in various sizes.

I cannot immediately think of what the problem might be - do you have an estimate of how long it takes before the amp goes from bright to dull? Does this time always stay the same, or does it change as the amp has been left on for a longer period of time?

Does it happen after the amp has been left off overnight?

Obviously I would try to determine if it is a poweramp problem, or something associated with heat. It does sound odd, as the firmware that is flashed into the amp should be solid and not subject to wear such as a tube might on a traditional amplifier.

One of the things you should try is hook it up to your computer, and re-flash the firmware. It takes about 5 minutes to completely re-install the firmware, and you will need to download the Line 6 program called "monkey". If you do not have access to a computer, you could try a factory reset. When powering the amp "on", hold the A and D memory buttons for about 5 seconds.

Please try these methods and see if they are helpful, and let us know. It's a very powerful and versatile amplifier, probably the best built that Line 6 ever made! Don't just give up yet...

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the feedback. I have the Monkey software already, so I was thinking I might reflash the software/reset the amp (as I haven't any particular presets I'm worried about keeping). I tend to use it in 'manual' mode anyway.

It's usually unplugged most of the time and it seems to go 'dull' within a few minutes of selecting an amp. It's as if changing the amp selection resets something (even changing it back again to the one that has gone 'dull'). Even if I leave it on for a while it still goes dull a few minutes after the last amp selection.

Non of the other buttons/pots clears the problem: It's like I've rolled the tone control right down on my guitar. I've tried it with all my guitars and different leads too.

I'll see how I get on with the flashing the software/reset and let you know.

4. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

My L6 FT III developed a mind of it's own, after 5 or 6 years. Mine did what yours is doing, except with every control. It drove me nuts. I checked their website and it seemed to be a common issue. I didn't want to play my guitar anymore. So, I replaced it with a Mesa, and fell in love with guitar again.
    Now, I have a very bitter attitude towards modeling amps.
    I wish you luck.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Funny I've been looking at the Mesa 5:25 as well as the Fender DRRi (especially as Andertons near me have some B stock '65 DRRi in at the moment). I have a Blackstar HT5-R already, but (when it's working) I like the range of tones the Line 6 has, plus the family connection with it.

Hope I can sort it out, though even as I use to work as an Electronics Engineer repairing/building PA type amps for a living, I'm not so confident about the digital side of modelling amp repairs.

I haven't tried the firmware reflash yet though, might try this weekend but we have visitors so maybe next week.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Managed to get round to reflashing the firmware (same version as already installed). So far so good, played for about 30 minutes, then flicked the switch and the tone stayed the same. I need to tweak some amp settings, but otherwise I think it's back in the game again.

(Won't stop me lusting after a nice clean(ish) valve amp though).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.