Line 6 DL4 MKII- Could this be the ONE?

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
Could this finally be holy grail of delay pedals I've been searching for all these years? For me delay is the quintessential guitar effect pedal. If I could only have one pedal on my board it would be a delay. However, I've gone through just about every delay pedal ever made looking for the one. Some have come close, but none seem to check all the boxes. What are those boxes?
- Tap tempo -and preferably global tap tempo if there are multiple presets.
-Expression pedal input(set to control delay mix) - my delay is always on. Most of the time at gigs, I have a subtle delay (mix at maybe 15%) on, but I'm constantly riding the expression pedal, adding and subtracting delay for certain passages.
- Analog dry through- I run a wet/dry amp rig, so this is a must to avoid latency issues.
-Simple controls- I hate deep dive menus.
-2 or 3 presets- I don't need 100s via midi. Just a few for analog quarter note, bright dotted eighth, and maybe something more "ambient." But they HAVE to be available via foot control. I switch delay sounds at random, not for certain songs or sections, so I don't want to have to hunch over my pedalboard to call up different delays.

So yeah. Seemingly simple delay needs, but I've yet to find the ONE! Empress Echosystem has come the closest. But it's weird, the delays (especially dotted eighth) sound great at home but don't always cut through in full band mix. The form factor of the TC Electronic flashback x4 is perfect on paper. But I've found the mix control via expression is glitchy. There's always a big jump from no delay to too much. And I've tried fixing it through the deep dive controls and using different impedance expression pedals.

So this all leads me to think the DL4 MK2 has all my boxes checked. I never owned a MK1 because it didn't have analog dry through and the issue of the knobs and switches breaking, from what I heard. Looks like both of those issues were addressed in MK2.

I guess my question for you all is, if you owned or played the MK1, did you like the basic sound of the delays? Like I mentioned never tried it. Though probably my favorite guitar player, Bill Frisell has used this delay pretty exclusively for years now and I love his sound. Any drawbacks I'm missing? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Mikecito

Tele-Meister
FexEx Santa got here early. Smaller, lighter and so far sounds pretty awesome. Quickly dialed my original favorite sounds and saved a new one for my gig tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20220401_125506826~2.jpg
    IMG_20220401_125506826~2.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 31

Mikecito

Tele-Meister
I don't know if I'm any authority on tape sim. All I can say is it nailed the original sounds I like quickly and the global tap tempo is exactly what I wanted. I can go from one normal delay with touch of verb and modulation, to U2 'ish subdivision sound with one click in the same song.
As a dive bar weekend warrior, I'm sure this is going to get it done 👍

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
I don't know if I'm any authority on tape sim. All I can say is it nailed the original sounds I like quickly and the global tap tempo is exactly what I wanted. I can go from one normal delay with touch of verb and modulation, to U2 'ish subdivision sound with one click in the same song.
As a dive bar weekend warrior, I'm sure this is going to get it done 👍
Cool, thanks for the feedback. Thinking I'll give it a try.

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
Are the old emulations on this exactly the same as on the original DL4, or updated to be more accurate?

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
Hey @Mikecito , been checking out comments on other forums about this pedal. In general the comments are very positive, however I've noticed several folks mention two glitches or bugs.

One is that the taper on the mix knob is kind of funky. That there is not much delay on the first 1/3 of the knob, then way too much the last 1/3 of the knob. Basically leaving the middle 1/3 as the only "usable" section of the mix knob.

The second being that subdivisions are not saving to presets. Folks mentioned they tried to save a dotted eighth preset, but when they switch back, it's quarter notes.

Have you experienced these issues? Maybe it's something that can be fixed by firmware update. If not, that would be a deal breaker. I absolutely need a dotted eighth preset!

Mikecito

Tele-Meister
Can confirm that you can save as a subdivision but once you try to change tempo, it reverts to standard 1\4 notes. This is an absolute deal breaker issue if it's not going to be addressed. Really disappointed because that's a huge part of why I was excited about this pedal.

Mikecito

Tele-Meister
I called and It's at the top of their firmware "need to fix it" list.
So probably a few weeks out. I've got my U2 repeats back up solution on my CC Deluxe, so I can wait it out. The multi delay patch also gets you in that space.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Can confirm that you can save as a subdivision but once you try to change tempo, it reverts to standard 1\4 notes. This is an absolute deal breaker issue if it's not going to be addressed.

IME with Line 6, they will fix this... and likely in very short order. They know the importance of that feature.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I borrowed a DL4 mkI from a friend a couple of days ago, so far I don't like it.

Seems to have all of the disadvantages of a processor and none of the advantages.

When you change the model with the rotary knob, it automatically goes to the preset settings for that model, which I find pretty horrible. As in the knobs no longer correspond to their physical position when you manually change the model. Although you can save 3 of your own presets after turning the knobs to something you like.

I need more time with it though, I haven't even gotten the expression pedal to work yet.

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
I borrowed a DL4 mkI from a friend a couple of days ago, so far I don't like it.

Seems to have all of the disadvantages of a processor and none of the advantages.

When you change the model with the rotary knob, it automatically goes to the preset settings for that model, which I find pretty horrible. As in the knobs no longer correspond to their physical position when you manually change the model. Although you can save 3 of your own presets after turning the knobs to something you like.

I need more time with it though, I haven't even gotten the expression pedal to work yet.
Yeah, so I did end up buying one. I've had it for about a week, and yes, that issue with the rotary knob is kind of annoying. Not a deal breaker though. Once I mess around and find the right sounds for presets, I kind of set it and forget it.

Yes, I had the issue with the expression pedal not working as well. I read the manual, you have to use a TS expression pedal, instead of TRS. Luckily I had a DOD expression pedal that is switchable, that works.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, I had the issue with the expression pedal not working as well. I read the manual, you have to use a TS expression pedal, instead of TRS. Luckily I had a DOD expression pedal that is switchable, that works.
Yeah, I've read that on forums. The mkI manual is terrible and doesn't have much info, and two versions.

I'm not planning on keeping this, so I'll see if I can make a temporary adapter.

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I've read that on forums. The mkI manual is terrible and doesn't have much info, and two versions.

I'm not planning on keeping this, so I'll see if I can make a temporary adapter.
Cool. I'm not sure, but a volume pedal might work. The taper may be wonky though.

Another annoying thing. I made a support ticket with Line 6 about the dotted eighth not saving. I just wanted to get an ETA on when they were going to do the firmware update. Wouldn't tell me. Wouldn't even give me a ballpark.....days, weeks, months, years. Nothing.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
O.k., I spent more time with it and there are some models I like: the Space Echo, the Sweep Echo. the Digital Delay with modulation, the Dynamic Delay. Wish there was more than 3 presets, 4 or 5 would have been fine. The reverse is ok, but all the models are pretty bright and have some artifacts.

My Donner Echo Square sounds much better and it's harder to get a bad sound. Of course no tap tempo, no stereo ins or outs, no expression pedal input, no looper. You also can't tweak the modulation, but some models have modulation. The DL4 is from 1999, so I guess it's understandable. Even my Zoom GFX-707 sounds better, but I think it may have come out a little later, not sure.

I connected my Zoom expression pedal to a couple of jacks with test leads with clips. Seems to do something to the presets but I can't get it to program correctly. I'll have to try a 12K ohm resistor in parallel because my Zoom pedal is 100K and the Line 6 wants to see 10K.

Still haven't tried the looper.