1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lindy Fralin + grounding question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nolefinity, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

Hi everyone,

I'm putting in a set of Lindy Fralins in my Tele, and they have this wiring diagram:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Telecaster-Wiring-Diagram.pdf

It says at the top, though, "Note: No jumpers are depicted. Make sure all metal is properly grounded."

I'm not a pro at this. Besides copper shielding I'm adding, do I need to connect a grounding wire too? If so, where do I get the right wire, and which two spots do I connect it to on this diagram?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

tone pot needs a ground wire to vol pot - where all the black wires meet.
    i always ground the bridge with a separate wire too, altho some may say not necessary.
    shielding should be grounded too - you can do that by making sure it makes contact with control plate.
    practically any wire you have can be used.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

The diagram shows the Tone pot grounded to the control plate. The control plate is grounded to the pickups via the Volume pot. The bridge and any shielding needs to make contact with the control plate or pot backs to be a proper shield. Usually a stranded wire is sandwiched under the bridge by separating the strands of wire into a fan shape, so it lays flat under the bridge. The neck pickup may have a shield attachment as well.

crazydave911 and Nolefinity like this.
  4. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

@Lowerleftcoast Thanks! Here's a photo of the original TexMex pickups that came with my Road Worn, which I'm replacing with the Fralins.

You said: "Usually a stranded wire is sandwiched under the bridge by separating the strands of wire into a fan shape, so it lays flat under the bridge." In this photo, you'll see that the black wire leaving the bridge pickup does a little loopdy-loop and goes to a flat, round metal thing with a hole in it, which was originally on one of the three bridge pickup screws. Then, a second black wire soldered onto that metal thing leaves and goes to the pots. So ... is that what you mean in your quote above?

Lastly, I don't understand "The neck pickup may have a shield attachment as well." Not sure what you mean, but it's probably because I'm not too smart here ;-)

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

@Lowerleftcoast And here's a much better pickup of the metal thing and wires from the bridge pickup.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Sometimes the neck pickup cover has a separate ground wire and sometimes it's connected to the ground wire of the pickup. It doesn't matter, electrically, but they would show the wire on the diagram in most cases. You probably have/had a bridge ground wire that went from the back pickup or a pot through the body to the small hole beneath the bridge. Any wire you have will work. If it's coated just cut back the insulation where it exits the body. It it's bare wire it's easier.

I just put a set of Fralin stock pickups with hybrid stagger in a Tele. You'll be happy with the results.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Yes, that will make the ground connection with the bridge.

Killing Floor explained the metal cover on the neck pickup.

crazydave911 and Nolefinity like this.
  8. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot and see if it works.

9. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

Hi everyone, I am working on this today and still not sure what to do.

I have the Fralins now, and both the bridge and neck pickups only have a white and black wire coming out of them. But the bridge pickup doesn’t have two black wires, one for the pot and one for grounding, nor does that black bridge wire include a little hook to go on the bridge screw like the Tex-Mex pickups do from Fender.

Basically, I’m wondering, does anybody else have instructions or photos of exactly where they connected a grounding wire? Connect what to what exactly?

Thanks!

10. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

Can you post pictures of your pickup?

Nolefinity likes this.
  11. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I believe Killing Floor already answered your first question:

"Sometimes the neck pickup cover has a separate ground wire and sometimes it's connected to the ground wire of the pickup."

Basically the cover has already been connected to the black (ground) wire of the pickup. So just solder up your black and white wires as per the diagram.

The ground wire from your bridge can be connected to anything else that is grounded, eg, the back of a pot.

It doesn't matter much exactly how you connect all the various ground wires. Basically what you need to ensure is that they all connect to each other (and not to any hot wires). It can be an indirect connection via another component. For example, if there's a ground wire between your volume pot and tone pot, then it makes no difference whether you connect another ground to the volume or to the tone pot. It's all the same electrically.

Think of it as a pathway that's interconnected between the pickup ground and the output ground.

Nolefinity likes this.
  12. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

Thank you @peterg and @kiwi blue ...

But I’m still lost. ;-) it’s just me. But I really want to see if I can make this work myself before taking it to someone.

I don’t understand that neck comment no matter how many times I read it. I don’t believe it has a dedicated ground wire, unless the black wire coming from it is the ground wire.

In other words, both the bridge and neck pickups both have only two wires coming from them: a black one, and a white one. The very first post in this thread has a link to the PDF from Fralin, which shows the pickups and the two wires each that come from them. I already assembled everything on my guitar and can’t take a photo right now without taking it all apart again, But the PDF shows the same thing anyway.

Basically, everything works fine. There’s just some buzz in all three positions. But on my Stratocaster in the exact same area of the room using the same cable and same amplifier settings, the second and fourth positions on the Strat are crazy quiet. Classic strat quietness in those positions, because they cancel out the other pickup’s buzz/hum.

So, Fralin said that the middle position on these Tele pups is (if I’m right here) reverse polarity. Not sure if that’s actually the term they said, but it’s when the neck and bridge cancel each other out, so the middle Tele should be as quiet as my second or fourth on my Strat.

So… The black wire coming from the bridge pickup is going right to the back of the volume pot, joining the black wire from the input jack and the black wire from the neck pickup.

So I guess my big question is… Should there be a new wire that I add somewhere in the chain?

Or, should I cut the black wire coming from the bridge and run a little line out of it right back to the screw of the bridge plate, like the Tex-Mex pickups had? (while still running the rest of that bridge black wire to the volume pot)

Thanks!

13. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

OK, I actually have a second set of new Fralin pickups, their Blues Special ones, but I believe they are just like the “Stock“ set that I installed today.

Check out the three pictures. The first is the back of the Fralin bridge, the next is the bridge from my Tex-Mex as a reference (notice it doesn’t have the copper back but it does have a little split in the black wire for me to hook that metal ring around a bridge screw), and the third photo is the back of the Fralin neck.

Notice the copper plate on the bottom of the bridge pickup, which does have a little wire coming from the pickup soldered onto it. I suppose that is the ground wire, built into the pickup itself… Right?

Anyway, maybe I did everything perfect, but I haven’t owned a Tele in years, and I was hoping that the middle pickup was pretty much dead quiet, like the second and fourth positions on my Strat, as I explain in my post above.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

14. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

Don’t cut anything on the pickups!

You can tell the the neck and bridge pickup windings are opposite to each other. Referencing your photos; the bridge black wire and the jumper to the plate are at the bottom. The neck black wire and the jumper to the cover are at the top.
    Check all your ground connections and reflow the solder if any don’t look good. The solder work on the pickups is what you want to replicate. If that doesn’t help try shielding the cavities.

Nolefinity likes this.
  15. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Black is ground and white is hot. The wire attached to the copper plate is part of the ground. Once you attach it to the bridge the strings are grounded. The black wire goes to the back of a pot along with the black/ground from the jack. Make sure the pots are grounded to each other.

Nolefinity likes this.
  16. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

17. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

Hey, thanks again everyone for chiming in, and thanks for that link above.

I still don’t understand half of the terms you guys are using (like “check all your ground connections”). But I don’t want to spend anymore of your time. I’ll keep fiddling.

Thanks!

18. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

Hi everyone, just coming back to provide an update ...

Pickups are in and QUIET!

I’m not sure how, but there’s no hum or buzz on my Fender cleans, except for a few ways that I angle the guitar compared to my amp. Ie, when I’m sitting and turn one direction, I hear some, But if I turn back, it goes dead quiet again. Typical proximity to amplifier kind of stuff. But for a while there I thought it was buzzing everywhere all the time.

Anyway, the pickups sound awesome. Bell like, clear, chimey, quiet… All the good stuff you want from a Tele. I’m going to do a demo of them and a comparison to the blues specials on my YouTube channel.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice along the way!

Attached Files:

peterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.