Linda Ronstadt talks about her career in like 1975....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jun 19, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

the conversation wanders, but it is pretty interesting to hear her thoughts and how 'normal' she is...

stinkey, Marc Morfei, djh22 and 11 others like this.
  2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

And that's what i love about her...down to earth and easy to relate to...

Kinda like the start here where she fumbles around then opens her mouth and the clouds part and the sun comes out and there's an angel singing...

BTW, Linda calls Don Henley shy? That's hard to wrap my mind around.

3. getbent

the few times I was ever around dh he was extremely quiet and shy. confident, yes. but quiet and not the 'life of the party' and also not a dick at all... very nice and fun and kind to a kid... I think people get deep into their identification and commitment to what they really want (think Steve Jobs) and they are so focused on it..... and cannot bear to be blocked or impeded or... any of that...

I kind of identify with that... in my work over the years, that focus and adherence to vision can be demanding when other folks are not as driven or purposed.

4. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

I really enjoyed Linda Ronstadt’s memoir Simple Dreams. She comes off as a sensible person, devoted to her career, but not ridiculously self-absorbed or narcissistic. She seems to have managed to gain and maintain control of her career to a degree rarely seen in her contemporaries.

I especially admire her willingness to shift from rock and pop to musical theatre and the Nelson Riddle albums of standards. After being on the top of the heap, she was humble enough to learn new disciplines in singing and acting, with astonishingly good results.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

So, like Don Henley, you're not actually a dick at all? :D

Sorry. The shot was there. I had to take it. It's the hockey rule of comedy.

Mad Kiwi, GGardner, RedTele58 and 2 others like this.
  6. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoyed that. She was so adorable in the interview.
    I was a big fan in the day.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whenever anybody mentions that era, in that town...I just get jealous as hell!

I'd have given anything to see acts in the Whiskey and The Troubadour.

Chip, stinkey, Marc Morfei and 5 others like this.
  8. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

She always comes off as being just a nice, down to earth, down-home girl. She's clearly a full grown woman here but there's something really girlish about her and I mean that in only the nicest way, with waaaaay less than no lack of respect. I heard an interview with her done sometime in the last couple of years, since she's been dealing with Parkinson's and lost her ability to sing. And she's obviously a nearly 70 year old woman (probably is 70 by now), and she's got some wear and tear and has seen about everything, but she still comes off as the same friendly, basically sweet parson. Although one who's obviously had a massive career, dated movie stars and politicians, etc, etc, etc. So her perspective and sense of self-confidence is very different, but her personality doesn't seem much different at all. Similarly self-deprecating, doesn't take herself too seriously, easy to laugh.

Some people who achieve what she has did it through sheer ambition and force of personality and can be real a-holes along the way. I might have thought that of Henley - I definitely thought it of Frey. Although I'm sure he could also be a nice and charming guy. Linda seems like she was waaaaaay more talented than ambitious, but SOOOO talented she didn't have to be cut-throat, although I'm sure others were very cut-throat on her behalf at times.

I grew up in the same neighborhood she did, went to the same high school, was good friends with a couple of her younger (second or third) cousins. I'm about 10-11 years younger and way behind her in school. And EXCEPT for the fact that she was a wildly successful and famous star at this point, she still sounds just like a lot of girls I grew up with in the same basic place. But I'm sure just about anyone who grew up anywhere in the US, (or at least anywhere that doesn't have a really strong regional accent) would think she sounds pretty familiar also. Because she's just, as the OP said, really "normal", and nice. That still goes a long way...

-Ray

NewKid and Paul in Colorado like this.
  9. getbent

accepted.... keep your head on a swivel.

P Thought, Mad Kiwi, GGardner and 4 others like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A wonderful era to have lived through. I thought more of the world, and myself back then. Then we both got old, now even Linda has got a dose of it. What a woman, what a voice!

stinkey and william tele like this.
  11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

She let herself show, a sensitive person for the times. Voice like an angel.

elihu and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

It's probably a good bet that the album she was alluding to at the end was "Heart Like a Wheel". (Although "Don't Cry Now" was released a year earlier)

"I go through periods of hating it and loving it."

Number 1 on the Billboard charts, Grammy for the best female vocal performance.

One of the greatest albums of all time. Period.

CP.

willie ray and raysachs like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m eternally grateful I got to see and hear her, circa 1980.
    She and her band were astoundingly tight.
    I’ll never forget!

Durtdog, william tele and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

She really reminds me of a girlfriend I had in the late '70's......she makes me feel things!! LR is a very attractive woman and a beautiful singer.

P Thought likes this.
  15. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

"She always comes off as being just a nice, down to earth, down-home girl."

She still is.

16. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I think that was the more recent interview I was referring to. As with most of us, in 45-ish years, she’s changed completely, but also not at all...

17. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

The yet to be wife of mine sat next to me center stage at a front row table at the Troubadour around 1969 and we saw Linda. Loved it. Her voice was amazing and you could not take your eyes off her for a moment. What a great venue.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Stubee and william tele like this.
  18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I've posted the live clip a few times here over the years so I won't post it again, but she makes Tumbling Dice her own

brookdalebill likes this.
  19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]
    just part of the game

kelnet and william tele like this.
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I saw her sing Tumbling Dice with the Stones during their Some Girls tour in the summer of ‘78. They somehow came to Tucson on that tour and she played there a LOT in her prime and it actually would have been kind of surprising if she hadn’t shown up with them somehow. That tune was kind of THEIR own too!

-Ray

richiek65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.