Linda Ronstadt movie

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Saw the new Linda Ronstadt movie hitting theaters now in a limited run. (And I guess Netflix in not too long). Good movie with tons of archival live footage. I knew very little about her until recently. Lord she can sing, absolutely rock the house. But equally impressive is what an appealing personality she has, as well as being utterly adorable. And you have to admire her musical integrity, devoting the second half of her career to non-commercial music in a range of different styles. I think I’m hooked.

2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The NYT article/interview about her yesterday was excellent. Very self-deprecating and honest, and funny.

raysachs and brookdalebill like this.
  3. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Been in love with her since her Tucson days! The southwest in the 70’s was rockin.

4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I'm going to see it tonight!

ce24 likes this.
  5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful voice and beautiful person.

brookdalebill and RoyBGood like this.
  6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

The next stage is to treat yourself to the Heart Like a Wheel album.

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the stone poneys did a song called...different drum...written by mike nesmith of the monkees...mike even did a couple lines of the lyrics on an episode of the monkees once

telestratosonic likes this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Lovely Linda

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My whole family loved Linda when I was a pup.
    She’s truly a national treasure!
    I’ll see the movie ASAP.

10. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I grew up in the same place about 10-12 years later, even went to the same high school, knew some of her extended family, smoked pot in the desert on the front part of her family's property because it was easy not to be seen and it was right across the street from one of my best friend's houses (he still lives there), even though her brother was the Chief of Police... Shopped at Ronstadt Hardware in Tucson.

That said, I kind of took her for granted in those days. When I was in high school in the early and mid 70's, she and Jackson Browne and the Eagles were absolutely EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME in that area. They always came through together on tours, she was always all over the radio, etc. And at that point in my life, like a lot of teenage boys, I was way more into guitar heroes than singers. She was great looking, for sure, but she was going out with the GOVERNOR of California, which at the time was waaaaay too connected for my taste. Although I did think it was pretty cool when the Stones were in town in 1978 and she came out and sang Tumblin' Dice with Mick...

I came to completely love the woman since, of course. Somewhere in college I got into Heart Like A Wheel, started getting into beautiful music in addition to the guitar based blues rock I've always loved. And I've been into her ever since, loving her standards and near-jazz albums, soak up every interview she does. She strikes me as a wonderful woman. And she's actually a big part of my past even if I wasn't paying much attention to that part of my past DURING my past... But listening to her music and hearing her talk about growing up in Tucson during more innocent times really takes me back home in a way that not a lot does, other than when I actually visit and see old friends. The place has changed sooooo much, but my memories of it haven't.

So, yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie and immersing myself in Linda one more time!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed.She is the best female voice I have ever heard. Even my deceased Dad loved her version of Blue Bayou. Linda deserves all the praise she gets and how good is she on Neil Young's "Harvest Moon"?

Pretty pleasing on the eye too when she toured here early 80s.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Looking forward to seeing this!

13. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Funny part of the NYT article is her saying that the Rolling Stone cover was essentially done w/o her permission and that she was just young and naive, and Annie Liebovitz's rebuttal--i.e., that LR was "anything but naïve." Both are whip smart and the 70's Rolling Stone cover only strengthened their already formidable careers.

14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Ill look for that movie. Thanks!

15. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

I used to go to the Monday Hoot Night at the Troubadour around 1970-71, put my name on the list and wait till I got called up to perform. Just me and my old Guild acoustic doing whatever song I'd written that week. I was really a hard rocker, into Cream, Hendrix, Stones. But a wise acquaintance told me I'd better write and sing too. Otherwise I'd just be another guitar playing clone in Los Angeles.
    Lots of L.A. people were there and the recent arrivals like Linda, and Henley and Frey, Taj Mahal, all kinds of people. They'd be there too and get to go on first because they were "up coming artists".
    One night (1:00 A.M) I got called up and did 2 songs. They usually gave you 10-15 minutes max. I finished and started to leave the little stage and the host said "do another song you're last on the list".
    I drew a blank, couldn't think of another song. Then I remembered a Marty Robbins song that I'd recently learned for my mom's birthday. She was a huge fan of his. I grew up in a mixed neighborhood and learned Spanish as a 2nd language very early in my life.
    So I thought, what the hell and did this song. It's English, then Spanish.:

I could hear a woman singing along with me when I did the Spanish part. It turned out to be Linda who was sitting at the bar. When I finished and was leaving she walked over to me and said "thank you for doing one of my favorite songs. My dad used to sing that around the house".

When I saw the movie Mambo Kings and heard Linda do the song, it brought back a flood of memories:

Bless you Linda. You inspired so many of us with your talent and charm. I hope you know how much people love you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  16. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Linda has been on every mix I've ever put together. Can't get enough.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^^LA Mike - Great story thanks !

18. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a great story, man. I grew up with a couple of girls who were related to Linda, some sort of third or eighth cousins or something sort of distant, but still extended family, and they remembered family occasions when they were little girls with Linda and the rest of her family singing. These two went on to a career in music, together as "Sisters Morales" and the younger sister solo as "Lisa Morales". They're less active now but still at it in the San Antonio area after years as a regional act around Houston. They have a number of albums out (Apple Music, Spotify, maybe for sale on Amazon?), including a Spanish language album they did to honor their mother when she was dying, called "Para Gloria". I'd recommend all of their stuff, but that in particular for fans of Mexican / Spanish language music.

But, man, having Linda singing with you - what a thrill that must have been, particularly looking back on it knowing what she became...

-Ray

ravindave_3600 and JayFreddy like this.
  19. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

I went to a show at McCabe's guitar shop in Santa Monica, CA once to see Glen Frey (This is pre-Eagles. I actually saw Frey and John David Souther audition at The Ice House in Pasadena and not get hired). The top bill that night was probably Jackson Browne, though I saw a lot of people at McCabe's so I don't quite remember, and I saw Jackson Browne at Ledbetters and a lot of other places too. Anyway, this particular night, Linda Ronstadt appeared as an unannounced special guest, which I suppose was not too surprising in that Bobby Kimmel, who booked shows for McCabe's, used to be in the Stone Ponies. McCabe's is a small room full of guitars on the wall and she absolutely blew it away. A very memorable evening.

raysachs and L.A. Mike like this.
  20. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Actually, it wasn't that uncommon. It was sort of a singer songwriter gang that would hang out there. And people who were passing thru L.A. on tour would come by and sit in. You never knew who'd be there. But since most people didn't do gigs on Monday nights, it was a good place to hang out and try stuff you were working on. This was when big record companies still existed and they'd send "talent scouts" around town looking for the next big thing. That was everyone's dream, to get signed.
    There'd usually be a house band of sorts hanging around to fill in if someone wanted a backup band. Lots of people who were regulars and went on to do great things would just go onstage during a song and sit in. Some of those jams would be amazing to hear today. there were so many I fear I've forgotten most of them.

raysachs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.