Lil Help?

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Hey All,

Possibly going to check out a guitar on the weekend. Though the guitar is only 8 years old the finish looks 40. While that in itself doesn't bother me I wonder how it got that way and what other issues I should be looking for.
Screenshot (3).png

2013 Les Paul Custom Lite. The story the seller has given in the ad is that the guitar has been stored in its case for many years and that has caused this premature finish aging. That seems pretty unlikely. The case being offered is a non original generic case which makes me think something happened to the original. I used to have an 88 Les Paul Custom where at a show someone spilled beer on & or somehow in my case which I didn't discover until putting gear away the next day. The Nitro seemed to have absorbed moisture and went a little milky. Over time it returned to normal.

Anyone want to take a guess as to the true cause of the unique finish? If the guitar is structurally ok the finish is not a deal beaker for me. But I don't buy the storage story & want to be cautious when checking it out.

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
That looks like smoke damage, maybe? It could be from a house fire, or the home of a heavy smoker. I saw a flood damaged guitar whose binding looked similar, but its overall finish was affected more than this one seems to be. I would doubt that it was case kept, as stated.

Resojazznblues

Tele-Meister
I doubt the sellers story. It's either been in a fire/water damage or set out and damaged by condensation. The nut is covered with black mold or smoke residue. The split diamond looks like the wood has expanded and retracted from weather causing the "aged" look. For $3700 I wouldn't trust it. Expensive boat anchor.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Hey All,

Possibly going to check out a guitar on the weekend. Though the guitar is only 8 years old the finish looks 40. While that in itself doesn't bother me I wonder how it got that way and what other issues I should be looking for.
View attachment 927213

2013 Les Paul Custom Lite. The story the seller has given in the ad is that the guitar has been stored in its case for many years and that has caused this premature finish aging. That seems pretty unlikely. The case being offered is a non original generic case which makes me think something happened to the original. I used to have an 88 Les Paul Custom where at a show someone spilled beer on & or somehow in my case which I didn't discover until putting gear away the next day. The Nitro seemed to have absorbed moisture and went a little milky. Over time it returned to normal.

Anyone want to take a guess as to the true cause of the unique finish? If the guitar is structurally ok the finish is not a deal beaker for me. But I don't buy the storage story & want to be cautious when checking it out.

Start by verifying authenticity!

Good on you for having a non-original case(including absence of all the case candy) raising a red flag! It should!

I know the logo and split diamond are inlays and there will/should be a bit of visible height offset but those borders around the inlays... o_O
Those things look iffy as hell! Could be the lighting or the camera flash doing it though.

Is the logo straight? You can check if the left side of the G in Gibson aligns perfectly with the fretboard. It should.

Would be good to see a photo of the back of the headstock. Not only to verify serial but to see if it's a shallow stamp or deeply carved.
The deeply carved ones are usually(important word here) fake as Gibson usually do serials with a shallow stamp.
Also to look for at the back of the headstock... the wings. Real Gibsons have "wings" glued on at both sides of the headstock and the seams are often visible
whereas fakes rarely have wings at all. The fake headstocks are usually cut from one piece.

Can't quite make it out from the photo, but does the neck binding extend up onto the fret ends? If it doesn't, it might be the thing had a re-fret but
it also might be the thing is fake.

Then... what's with the bridge tone pot? I mean... it's there! :confused:
Stock photos I find of 2013 Custom Lite doesn't have that. There's a switch instead.

IMG_0320_9a750daf-090d-4dbf-b06f-b790c5005de0.jpg

Last edited:

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Thought One:
(As noted by others before me)…That thing has been through a fire or at least a heavy smoker’s home.

Thought Two, which I actually had before Thought One:
The title of this thread, “Lil Help” could be a rapper’s stage name. He could dress in a Stable Boy’s costume and rap about being exploited by the rich landowner.

Its just a thought…I didn’t say it was a good thought.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Thought One:
(As noted by others before me)…That thing has been through a fire or at least a heavy smoker’s home.

The title of this thread, “Lil Help” could be a rapper’s stage name. He could dress in a Stable Boy’s costume and rap about being exploited by the rich landowner.

ROFL! :lol:
I thought of a rapper's name also when I saw the topic!

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I doubt the sellers story. It's either been in a fire/water damage or set out and damaged by condensation. The nut is covered with black mold or smoke residue. The split diamond looks like the wood has expanded and retracted from weather causing the "aged" look. For $3700 I wouldn't trust it. Expensive boat anchor.
I was also thinking condensation/excess moisture and I think that's why there's not an original case with it.

Currently this guitar is listed at $2700 CAD and I will be offering significantly less.

I have a Gibson Lucille which was about 5 years old when I got it. Even at only 5 years old the Nitro had already shrank to the point of showing finish cracks around all the inlays on the headstock. My 88 Les Paul Custom also had the same so I'm not too worried about that part.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
To sketchy for me. If it's $3700.00, that would definitely be a hell to the naw, there are other options IMHOP.

Currently this guitar is listed at $2700 CAD and I will be offering significantly less.

My first really nice Gibson was a Les Paul Custom which I sadly had to sell during the 2008 recession.

A few years ago I bought a Custom Classic but in the years without a Les Paul I got used to my SG and after 3 years I have up trying to get used to fighting for upper fret access and sold it.

The Custom Lite is thin like an SG and pretty much the same as a 79 Les Paul Firebrand I used to have (& also sold during the recession) so I know I'll have my fret access back.

At this point a traditional Les Paul isn't an option.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Start by verifying authenticity!

Good on you for having a non-original case(including absence of all the case candy) raising a red flag! It should!

I know the logo and split diamond are inlays and there will/should be a bit of visible height offset but those borders around the inlays... o_O
Those things look iffy as hell! Could be the lighting or the camera flash doing it though.

Is the logo straight? You can check if the left side of the G in Gibson aligns perfectly with the fretboard. It should.

Would be good to see a photo of the back of the headstock. Not only to verify serial but to see if it's a shallow stamp or deeply carved.
The deeply carved ones are usually(important word here) fake as Gibson usually do serials with a shallow stamp.
Also to look for at the back of the headstock... the wings. Real Gibsons have "wings" glued on at both sides of the headstock and the seams are often visible
whereas fakes rarely have wings at all. The fake headstocks are usually cut from one piece.

Can't quite make it out from the photo, but does the neck binding extend up onto the fret ends? If it doesn't, it might be the thing had a re-fret but
it also might be the thing is fake.

Then... what's with the bridge tone pot? I mean... it's there! :confused:
Stock photos I find of 2013 Custom Lite doesn't have that. There's a switch instead.

IMG_0320_9a750daf-090d-4dbf-b06f-b790c5005de0.jpg
In the ad there are a lot of photos and I'm sure it's a legit Gibson.

Replacing the mini toggle with a standard pot was such a common mod that Gibson did it themselves on the 2016 edition.

I personally have found the mini toggle off-putting so it doesn't bother me though I acknowledge the guitar is players grade at best.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Thought One:

Its just a thought…I didn’t say it was a good thought.
Allda Ladeez wanna git wit "Lil Help"!

rodger

Tele-Meister
For comparison, here's the headstock from my 1973 LP Custom, bought new by me when I was 18. Mine's almost 50 years old.

JimphwP.jpg