1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

L'il Dawg Mutt Amp: Anyone here try it?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 2, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

It's kind of a...well, mutt, of a 5F1 and a 5E3...and you can get it with a lower-wattage transformer (as low as 5 watts). Curious to know your experience with it, what speakers/components you chose and what I should budget for one if I'm considering it.

Here's a link: https://www.littledawgamps.com/the-mutt/

Really been wanting to give this guy some business, so, with X-ray school wrapping up, I may save for one next year.

Thanks, guys.

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No answers? No bueno. :)

Seriously, I guess no one 'here' has this particular Lil Dawg model.

The other problem I'm having right at the moment is I can't get through to the Lil Dawg website. I severely hope this is just a momentary glitch.

FWIW here's my story. I couldn't choose between a 5E3 and a 6G2, but I emailed Jim @ Lil Dawg and we had a detailed, friendly back and forth chat about what I was looking for. He wasn't unwilling to share his ideas, but he also continued to seek my opinions whenever there was a decision -- coupling cap sizes, transformers, etc. etc. I bet he'll even help you decide if this is really the amp for you.

Now, I'm hoping this one reply can jump start more, but I'd also email Jim and share what you're hoping to do. If you don't already know all about 'em, do some extended research on the building blocks (5F1 and 5E3) and talk to Jim about variants and choices. He can then get very detailed as to costs.

If you boil it down to a specific build and sound target, I guarantee you can get speaker advice here if you share your choices: "Looking for a speaker for a (loud/quiet) (home/gig) (gnarly/mellow) tweed along the lines of...." Jim may be a more coherent source of speaker advice, though!!! I guarantee on speakers we'll be all over the map... :)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you so much for your reply @King Fan. I really appreciate it. I’ll probably reach out to him in the next month and just bounce some ideas around. I’m just finishing x-ray school and I need to find a job first! I take my licensing exam on Monday.

He has a very nice-looking website and seems like a very nice guy from what I’ve read and heard. He definitely builds some great-looking (And I don’t doubt, great-sounding) amps. Plus, he gets extra bonus points from me because he had a verse from Psalm 100 on his story page. :)

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Website seems ok now.

I don't have an answer because I've never had a lil dawg amp. I have been considering it on and off over the last few years, and Jim is a great guy for taking your questions.

I've read nothing but positive comment on various forums regarding his amps.

Now you've got me thinking again...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I only have experience with his 5e3 D-Lux. All I can say is that I would not hesitate to order another amp (any amp) from Jim.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.