Lil' Dawg D-Lux 5e3 (57' Tweed Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by xmusic123, Apr 25, 2014.

1. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Another 25 watt D-Lux owner. I have the head version and can run it through different cabs. It sound especially good thru a 3x10 cab I put together for it. I love this amp! It really shines with a Tele bridge pickup, but sounds killer no matter the guitar.

My experience with Jim was the same - pleasant. He runs a tight ship, does what he says he'll do and finishes on time. He kept me updated with pics of my build along the way. I highly recommend him to anyone looking to buy a custom built amp. There is a world of different tones when working with the two volume controls. The unused channel volume seems to have the most gain in the middle of the dial and two very different cleans at the ends. Also try the different inputs as well.

2. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Using an A/B pedal?

Not to hijack this thread, but are any of you D-Lux owners using an A/B pedal with your amp? I'm considering trying one in my setup. I could have the A signal go into the high-gain instrument input and the B signal go into the low-gain microphone input. Adjusting the instrument volume at six and the mic volume at full up should give me a sweet clean tone from the A signal path and a killer OD from the B signal path. Or so it seems to me. Anybody trying this? If so, can you recommend a decent A/B pedal?

3. Somewhat

Somewhat TDPRI Member

Does he (Jim) do a Harvard?

Something with a little more/tighter low end?

4. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

5E3 cleans, yeah! Good choice, congratulations!

5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

+1 the D-Lux, Jim, and Lil Dawg!

I went with Jim's 12w D-Lux, also the 12A125A (excellent), without the Paul C mod. Even in this 'vintage' configuration the cleans will make you pass out from beauty overload. Also agree NOS tubes are great in these, and as others say all over the web, the interactions of the volume circuits with touch / volume / attack / pups makes the 5E3 the amp of a thousand voices.

To be fair to other amps, I sometimes think 5E3 cleans are like models in magazines -- they're more beautiful than anything could be in real life. They have an other-worldly quality that may actually be a combination of several kinds of subtle, edge-of-awareness distortion.

Finally, let me agree that Jim is the greatest guy to work with, smart, considerate, and professional in every way. His many options and his flexibility combine with his quick beautiful work for an amazing experience.

6. Tiberiusjones

Tiberiusjones NEW MEMBER!

I thought about getting a Fender 57 Custom Deluxe, but after reading the glowing reviews of Jim's work, thought better of it. What model in Jim's stable would you say is comparable or better than Fender 57 Deluxe?

7. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Couldn't say it any better than you all have already. Jim is the real deal. Down to earth, efficient and communicative. Great amp. Hope the also get a Champster from him one day but I'm still locked into the D-lux. My Princeton is lonely

Darkness likes this.
  8. vashondan

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned plugging into the mic channel and I realized I have yet to do that. What's the diff between the two?

9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

10. vashondan

@brbadg -Well, holy gazoobies! Now you tell me :) Actually, I remember reading that three times when I got it and it not really sinking in. So, I got stuck on the Inst. channel discovering what magic it holds. Ok, Lil Dawg phase two..

11. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I think the problem is understanding what the mic channel is and what the instrument channel is.Mine is just marked normal and bright.Once you get that figured out you're good.I just set it for clean and use a dirt box when i need it.Mine's 25 watts,and sure seems a whole lot louder than that.

12. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

As I mentioned in a different post. Jim has the best service bar none I have every experienced. He was very patient with me and my mountain of questions even though I was not the original owner of this D-Lux. I am glad to belong to the Dawg Pound. Great amp and a great builder.

13. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Believe the hype. Jim is an excellent Tweed Jedi and a superb person. I've got a D-Lux and Chocoprince from him. Both are great amps. I play the Chocoprince 6G2 the most.

14. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Jim's 5e3 D-lux = '57 Tweed Deluxe (essentially).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.