1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lil 59 + Quarter Pounder + 4 way switch on a Tele.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Darrenr75, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

I’ve got a Classic Vibe Tele that I changed to a 4 way switch to get series of both pups.

I changed the neck to a Quarter Pounder, and am shortly changing the bridge to a Lil 59.

I would like to have a switch to split the coils on the bridge pup, and wondered if it would be ok to have a control plate with a toggle switch rather than a push/pull pot?

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Purely up to you where you put the switch. Series/parallel is another option for the lil 59, my preferred option over a sraight split. 4th position (humbucker) on the 4 way is going to be pretty dark with a lil 59 and a quarter pounder, not sure if you will need it.

SbS likes this.
  3. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

Well I’m dark so I want that sound!

I’ll have a play round and see what happens.

4. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Agree with Scott. I had Litlle '59 bridge and went with series/parallel. Got advice that split might be too weak sounding with that kind of narrow humbucker construction.

Parallel sounds like single coilish, but without as much volume loss and still hum free.

I had an own switch there, on/on DPTP.

5. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Another vote for series/parallel on the lil 59, its very useful.

6. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I tried parallel and split wiring for the little 59, but found that I liked partial split best of all. Using a 10k resistor between the series link and ground cuts mids and tightens the bass a lot with just a small volume drop (less drop than parallel). Resulting DCR is about 12K and the hum cancelling is still good. I often use that as my "base" bridge pickup tone and then go to full series for a mid and volume bump that works great for solos.

It's also real easy to test out first with just alligator clips or even some tape to see if you like the effect and which value resistor you prefer. A higher resistor value preserves more of the humbucker character, lower more like regular split.

I've done that with a regular on/on mini-switch, you shouldn't have trouble there.

As far as combining the 1/4 pounder and little 59 in series, I agree it's probably going to be dark, but maybe the split bridge will help that?

Good luck and please report back on your results!

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It would be fine with me for you to have a switch on your control plate. Post pics.

8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Another one for series/parallel.
    Did that with a different humbucker and single on a 4-way. Series, on the 4-way will not be as quiet as you might want.

9. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

Thanks all.

I like dirty crunchy sounds, so am looking forward to getting this done. Should be done next week and I’ll post pics, and a link to a recording with the sound results

10. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Don't want to make it any more complicated (obviously am just about to do just that!) but I find when I go to the humbucker setting on my 4 way switch on my other Tele I always use it with the no load tone pot wide open, another easy and reversible mod, the no load tone pot. Micro switch between the vol and tone controls is accessable but not in the way of anything else. This one the series/parallel mini switch and a standard 3 way selector with a CTS no load tone pot. .

upload_2021-4-12_22-13-25.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.