1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Like ZOIKS! (2nd) NGD/Battle of the Cheapie Strats!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Brian Krashpad, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

So a few weeks ago I bought a cheapie Squier Standard Strat. Rosewood board, big headstock, 2-point trem. Blonde w/tort guard and white pups/knobs, agathis body, alnico pickups. For a Benjamin, but also included a gigbag and a Kustom 12A hybrid practice amp.

I'd been Stratless for a year or so. Not a huge Strat fan, but I like to have at least one of that type in the stable for completeness's sake. A cheapie is fine to fill the bill.

Then a couple weeks later, another cheapie comes along. Missing trem arm, but with a strap. No bag/case. This'un's a Squier "Deluxe Stratocaster." They street for about $60 more ($300) than a Standard Squier. Basswood body, maple board, small headstock, Duncan Designed alnicos, 2-point trem, white pickguard/pups/knobs. Daphne blue.

So, I got the Deluxe as well, and will let 'em shoot it out. I like the smaller headstock and maple board of the Deluxe better. Not a fan of basswood, but agathis isn't a proper trad Strat body wood either, so that call is 50/50. Not a huge fan of Daphne Blue, but the Standard has a mismatched join that visually bugs me a bit (this has always been a pet peeve of mine). So I'm leaning towards the Deluxe from a visual perspective.

Here's the NGD grrl, Daphne:

[​IMG]

Here's the Standard, Rosie:

[​IMG]

What say you, fellow forumites? I'll probably sell one as is, and keep the gigbag and amp from the first deal, and the strap from the second.

2. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I've had that exact Deluxe for a couple years, now, and I love it. I went quite a while without playing it, after buying a new Gibson SG and focusing on that for a few months. Picked up the Deluxe the other night, thinking that it might suffer in comparison to the SG, but not at all. It plays and sounds great. There's a temptation to compare it to a MIA Strat, but that might be a stretch. Not that big a stretch, though. There just aren't any identifiable flaws in the guitar. Cheaper components, sure. But it's put together very well, and those cheaper components don't seem to hurt it that much.

3. Brian Krashpad

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

The Daphne seller was probably a recent retiree. He sold it to me for $90. He goes, "This guitar sells for $150 new, you know."

I couldn't force myself to tell him it actually streets for twice that. It was clear he didn't need the dosh though, so I didn't feel too bad about it. :D

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Daphne by a landslide.

5. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Daphne.

6. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Swap necks, keep Daphne.

7. Brian Krashpad

Naw, no mods. One or t'other.

:lol:

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

They both look cool, but I'd also say keep the blue one. The other one looks more clunky for some reason, even if it is also kind of cool in a fugly kind of way.

Which one sounds better? Which one feels better?

9. Brian Krashpad

So far, the Daphne is winning. I prefer it one aesthetic grounds due to the small headstock and the bad join on the Standard. And I prefer Fenders with maple necks. Plus it seems to play easier, better action, and is the slightly more expensive guitar.

Basically, although I like the color scheme of the blonde Standard a li'l more, at least conceptually, the execution with that bad join nullifies that, and the Daphne is winning in all other categories.

10. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I agree. I definitely dig the color scheme of the blonde better, but like you, mismatched grain really peeves me.

For some reason, I tend to prefer rosewood fingerboards on Strats and maple on Teles.

But I also prefer the smaller headstock on Daphne.

My only Strat (also a Squier) is as boring as you can get. Black, white guard, rosewood neck.

I do have a loaded MIA Strat guard in mint green I plan to install, and before I do, I might strip the body and see what the wood is like. If it looks good, might just stain and seal it. If it's choppy, might go with Firemist Gold.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.