Like a monkey riding a motorcycle in a carnival sideshow.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The thread about going back and talking to yourself when you were younger and somehow convincing your younger self to do differently reminded me of a story an old pal of mine once told me. Whether it's true or not I can't say, but it makes a whole lot of sense.

It seems this guy had a sideshow in a carnival where people would come in and watch his trained monkeys ride little motorcycles on a kind of a merry go round affair. Just before he would let the people in through a curtain, he'd grab the monkeys up one, by one, and put them on the motorcycles on the carousel that was turning slowly. The monkeys would all fight him when he grabbed them up out of their cage, but once he set them on their little motorcycle, they were just like Motaur in the Progressive ad, they just hung on and went for a ride. The faster the sideshow guy turned the carousel the tighter they hung on, until they were traveling at dizzying speed!

I think for the most part, we're like the monkeys, life grabs us by the neck, throws us in the saddle of the motorcycle of life, and though we may struggle a bit, when our butts hit the seat, we just hang on and go for the ride. Those of you who think you are the captain of your own destiny, review what's going on around you, and see if you can still believe that. We are little electrons flowing through the universe without the slightest control of where we are going, or how long the ride will be. NO AMOUNT OF PLANNING WILL BEAT DUMB LUCK!

SURF, John Owen, JeffBlue and 15 others like this.
  2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

What he said^.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is why I wear a helmet when I ride

4. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

My brother always says, "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

5. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

This thread needs pictures

bd7acca78c23416c8b5c8bfda0efe4f7--cartoon-monkey-monkey-art.jpg

6. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I can‘t hear you ....good for me !
    Not in for desolation row .
    Love is all around

Fendereedo and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

"Life's one act play"

Fendereedo, DougM and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ahh! Lancelot Link and the Evolution Revolution! I loved that show.

Fendereedo, 2blue2, richiek65 and 5 others like this.
  10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

That certainly seems right, TD. Especially lately.

I grew up as a man of faith, thinking something greater is in charge. I still view the world like that in a lot of ways. A default worldview that, when looking back from middle-age, looks more like being hobbled than comforted.

See, me and the Universe had a little fight this past weekend.
    "Hey Big U," says I. "Don't line me up with a life full of responsibility and work and purpose that I can really throw my shoulder into, gifts that I nurture and carry like burdens, love that seems abiding . . . and then get some wild hair to threaten it all. Out of the blue."

I need to feel like I have some modicum of choice in the matter.

Maybe the choice has been mine all along. Maybe it's all just been an overly complicated way of figuring out how to just hang on for the ride, and hanging on has really been the only choice I've ever made.

No matter.
    What I hope rises to the surface is love. That it's not dependent on anything but itself. That'd be nice. Love is the only thing I can't explain from a cynical, nihilistic point of view. I've seen too much to dismiss it.
    But even that feels like it's hanging by a thread sometimes lately.

Thanks, TD, for the pep talk.
    And opening up a place for me to air this out. :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  11. Toto'sDad

You miss the meaning of my post, it's not a downer. In fact for me, when I turned loose and let life take me where it wanted me, I was ten times better off than when I thought I was running it. I think somehow we all have some sort of destiny, but we get fowled up by kicking against the goads, and always trying to sail into the wind. If you let life lead you, you'll probably be okay. It's a lot easier floating down stream, than always trying to swim against the current.

Fendereedo, richiek65 and trev333 like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I wish I could bottle and sell a little of what I've learned in life, but it just doesn't work that way, we all have to find out what's behind door number three for ourselves. I do know that fighting against the currents of life is a waste of time. Not everyone is meant to be Elvis, or Keith, or whoever you might think you want to be like, that job is already filled. When people are talking about what has gone into making them successful or famous, it's kind of like listening to Marty Stuart spin one of his yarns about life, it's entertaining, but there ain't whole hell of a lot of food value in it! :lol::lol::lol:

Fendereedo, nojazzhere and ukepicker like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I like that kind of talk, they teach that to you when you're going to be out selling Kirby Vacuum cleaners. Uh, it's been a while since I sold Kirby Vacuum cleaners. I liked that catchy little knock off tune, there's power in the gang. The only guy who ever really made any money off of the Kirbys was my boss, who stayed in the office and gave pep talks while we were out working! :lol::lol:

Fendereedo and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

giphy.gif

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    " mama mama .. the president is a fool .. why do I have to keep reading this technical manuals.... ? "

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes we find ourselves riding backwards on a pig.

17. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

When King Queens decide what is good or bad for us I obligated to obey
    when the lord says , its my time to take a knee,, when my wife says take out the garbage,
    get your haircut I only need a yes dear,, when the angel comes for me well there you have it
    It's already done with all that I do like to go fishing without bait or hook sit on the bank and let the river tell me it's story.
    there ain't no need for argument there ain't no arguement, it aint , why, 3x, it aint, why, it aint, why, it aint, why, it aint, why,
    why? why? why? why? hit it again why? why? why? why? why? why? why? why? why? it just is, that's it , thats all.

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

tumblr_o0v0q4Plhn1rw4r3to1_500.jpg

noname_dragon likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I spent the first forty or fifty years of my life fighting "whatever" is really in control of things. At some point, it came to me that ALL of the things that had happened to me that I hated or didn't want to happen were in reality the best things for me. I didn't just throw up my hands and stop making choices for myself, but I think I did start tempering my choices with a (hopefully) wisdom born of that knowledge. Maybe it's a cliche'.....but I sincerely stopped worrying about what I DIDN'T have, and started appreciating what I DID have. Maybe I'll NEVER find out what's behind door number three......but whether it's a weekend with Scarlet Johannson or the Spanish Inquisition doesn't really matter.....I'm good as I am. ;)

Fendereedo and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Dumb but fun movie called “Yes Man” about a very cautious guy who is talked into going to a positive thinking seminar - the whole point of which is simply to say Yes to anything/any opportunity that comes along.

So, instead of just watching the movie and laughing at Jim Carey and admiring Zoey Deschanel - I decided to do it .

For over a year, if someone called with any invitation or opportunity, I just said “Yes”. It turned out to be great .

I found myself doing things I’d never do , seeing some great art, bands , ball games, and even some jobs I never thought I’d do.

The thought of an extremely methodically planned-out life is appealing - because I never did it before.

But - having largely done the opposite, I got no complaints !

elihu, Fendereedo and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.