1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Like a dog with a stick that's too wide for the door...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by trapdoor2, Feb 28, 2021.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm still shifting hardwood up to my attic...but getting nearer to the big stuff on the bottom. This is a pair of 1", book-matched Ambrosia Maple planks about 12' long and 10" wide. Probably close to 50lbs and awkward as hell to maneuver, esp. from the top of the ladder.

maple plank....jpg

The big plank to the left is a baulk of Black Walnut, 2" thick and 17.5" wide...about 8' long. The rest are mahogany and figured maple. Against the wall in the back are more Black Walnut boards with some BW shorts in the corner.

walnut boards.jpg

Today is Rosewood day, at least that's what is next in the pile. I'm guessing it is around 100lbs or more and the bulk of it is rough re-sawn to 8' X 7" X 1/8". I think this size is going to be mostly sides but they're stacked as they came off the log, so maybe some backs for smaller stuff (parlor, ukes, etc.). The cardboard box on top is marked "90% Brazilian Rosewood and it is primarily shorts, fingerboard size and shorter, some blocks and squares.

Yah, there's more maple and mahogany on the bottom of the pile. More 12' maple planks...

Rosewood.jpg Rosewood closer.jpg

The guy whose estate this is was big into Gibson F-5 mandolin "re-creation" (although I don't think he faked any of those as I've seen his marked with his name) as well as re-necking Gibson tenor banjos to 5-string. The banjos he did are good enough to require very close scrutiny to tell them from 1930s originals.

He was also making Martin Dreadnought size guitars, so I opened up a box last week and discovered 30 guitar tops, all from the 60s...

vgallagher, Axis29, Treynor and 3 others like this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

What a nice stash! :)

edit: If you run out of storage room, I've still got room in my attic ;).

3. trapdoor2

Yah, he was a local engineer/hobbyist. I think he started building in the 50s. Miz Diane had worked with him. From all accounts, his workshop was a hoarders cave. When he passed, his kids dumped all his luthier stuff into a storage unit...and when I heard it was for sale, I went to look at it.

I bought the whole thing just based on the wood...but got all his tools, jigs, etc. He must have been involved with Martin Guitars at some point. He had a decade's worth of catalogs and warranty stuff. Probably a certified repairman.

4. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Woodgasm!!!

trapdoor2 likes this.
  5. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Well, that's pretty cool.

Kinda like passing the torch :).

trapdoor2 likes this.
  6. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

:)

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

wowser!

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wish I could stumble onto something like that (and have the cash to do something about it! LOL)

Wanna adopt a full grown carpenter?

trapdoor2 likes this.
  9. trapdoor2

I was very lucky! I'm usually left crying in my beer because the timing is off or cash is scarce, etc. There were several other buyers involved...but I think the family recognized I wasn't interested in flipping it.

Some of these boards are massive. I'm down to the last four and they're 18" wide figured maple 1" thick and 10 ft long. I'm leaving one in the shop that's 36" wide mahogany, 1" thick. I'd need scaffolding and a couple of teenagers...

Axis29 likes this.
  10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

LOL, I was happy when I scored a couple hundred board feet of some SYP cut down in 1855. But, it's nothing like that stash, @trapdoor2!

11. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I'm sure that the gentleman would be pleased to know that it was purchased by someone who would use and appreciate it.

Tom_, DrASATele and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.