1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lightweight Tele with Humbucker at neck and SS frets... options?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jjk1407, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jjk1407

jjk1407 NEW MEMBER!

Hi,

I'm looking for a tele that is <= 6lbs (back issues), with SS frets, and has humbucker routing at neck. Budget is <3k USD.

I had a Strandberg Salen before (I know it's not a "real" thing...), which is okay but the routing is pretty limited and the 24 frets threw me off. So I don't plan to go with the Salen Jazz route.

What are other options? TA hollow Ts seem are usually >6 lbs. Or maybe I should get a thinline extra light ash body from Warmoth and build one myself?

Thanks for the help!

Festofish likes this.
  2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sounds like you need to build a partscaster. Or get someone to build it to your specs.

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I've made a couple. there are others around here that have as well. heres a pic of one I finished a couple months ago. its about 5 pounds or so. as near as a bathroom scale can measure (with my wife standing on scales with and without the guitar). not stainless frets but thats no real difference.

P1110377.JPG

link to a thread....

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/telecaster-weight-loss-program.1060470/

Peegoo did an interesting one where he sawed the body, separating the front from the back. he hollowed it out & when glued back together you can't hardly tell it was cut.

Peegoo and carpenter like this.
  4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

How about an Alan Holdsworth model from Carvin/Kiesel? They are roughly Tele shaped and hollow(semi?) without f-holes. There were a couple options but I don’t know what they offer currently. They did have reg/headless models. I owned a DC127 for years and it was the best guitar I ever had. Was...:(

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

a neck+tuners is @ 2lbs..... so you'd be looking for a 4 lb or less body....

a mex tele body will take a neck hb, if you can find a light one?..;)

my DF/WRC bodies usually come in around 4 1/2 Lbs.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That is beautiful!

Here's the build thread on the Tele with lightning holes. It came out at 5.8 lbs soaking wet. The neck has two SS fret sizes on it; fat ones for 1-9, and mediums for the rest:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/for-my-next-trick-sawing-the-lady-in-half-with-a-twist.993606/

7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Do some research on Paulownia tone wood. Extremely light and highly resonant. I have built two guitars using cheap GFS Paulownia bodies and they sound fabulous.
    IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_1512.JPG

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks, ya'll for reminding me, that I have some Paulownia trees (awful looking) near where we walk, and I need to cut them down when most everyone has gone out of town.

$ 3,000 is IMO a lot of money, and you only need half for the guitar. Maybe spend the rest of it on a sports doctor/orthopaedist who can determine what's amiss with your back/posture. I'm thinking about what a doctor friend of mine (who has passed) told me which is, if a 7-8 pound guitar is bothering you bad, spending long hours playing a 6 pound guitar is probably a bad decision. Apologies for my direct approach here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.