Lightweight, Portable, Clean Sound for Jazz and Blues. Options?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chaddukes, Jun 13, 2014.

1. chaddukes

chaddukes Tele-Meister

Fellow TDRPIer's, help me figure out what amp to look for. I'm amp illiterate, but I know what I like. Here is what I'm looking for. A light portable amp with plenty of clean head room that is loud enough for practicing with drums, bass, etc. I'd like something that 25lbs. or less. I tend to play mostly clean, or with a light overdrive. I do need onboard reverb, but thats about it for effects. A second input would be nice but isn't necessary. I mostly play jazz and blues.

I'm not too concerned about price. I'm mostly trying to figure out what my options are. I'll save up if I need to. But, I can't see myself spending more that $1,500 on an amp at this time.

Give me some ideas. Thanks!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the limiting factor in your description is the 25lbs. You should definitely check out Quilter Amps: http://www.quilterlabs.com/. Their MicroPros are lighter than the Aviators, but if you bump the weight up they hove into view, too.

More of a straight-up jazz amp: http://www.mambo-amp.co.uk/. With a mambo, you would, um, use a Rat like everyone else on TDPRI.

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Cube 40 at 20 lbs, or Cube 80 at 30 lbs.

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

More toward the blues end of the spectrum, the Blues Jr is a nice little grab and go package that will keep up with bass & drums in a practice at moderate volume. With a more efficient speaker, this can cover a small-to-medium gig as well. More than 25 pounds, though.

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I'm with jay, a cube 40

6. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

Definite +1 for Quilter! Just got the Aviator 12", which sounded a little better than the 8" which is in the weight class you mention. The jury is still out (first gig tonight) as to whether it can replace my beloved Allen tube amps, but I'm sold on it for jazz stuff with my '55 Gibson L7 -- they are made for each other!

7. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

I sold my JazzKat and have been using my '06 Cube 30 on the blackface setting for my weekly jazz gig. Believe me, no one noticed the difference and I can't hear one either. This amp has been tossed in the trunk, etc. It 'a been trouble-free and sounds great.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Tough to beat a Roland Cube for what you want unless 40w to 80w isn't enough for you and I can't believe it won't be. I've used my 40w in a full blues rock band rehearsal with drums, bass, and second guitar. They're amazingly loud for such a small amp, very versatile tonally and have a onboard digital spring and plate reverbs plus other effects. They're also far less than $1500. For more power I'd look at the Quilter amps but they're a bit more expensive.

9. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

<25 pounds but still loud is a tall order! Quilters are definitely nice. The only other thing I can think of is to try a head/cab instead of a combo and then maybe each part can get under 25 pounds or so.

10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Light .....under 25 lbs

Reverb

Loud enough to hang with drums and bass.

Under $1500

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products/club.html

You have described the ZT Club.
    22 lbs, has reverb , 131 db, I read a review where someone said its as loud as his other guitarist's Marshall Stack, and it sells for $549.

11. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

As said above: Roland Cube 40, or ZT Club (or some Peavey amp). If you've got loads of money, there are several high end, light weight, solid state jazz amps.

/ Tony

12. chaddukes

chaddukes Tele-Meister

I can't believe I never considered a Cube. I have an old micro cube that I use as a practice amp. It's loud as hell, but not loud enough to practice with drums and bass. Still, it's a great amp.

I love the other suggestions as well. But, I can afford a cube right now. I'd have to save up for the others. We'll see. I like having a known commodity.

Thanks all for the help!

13. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

ZT Club is what I use for a quick, easy, portable grab-n-go amp. I also have a Cube 80xl that fits the bill (most used amp, BTW), as does my Blues Jr.

For "situations" where I'm going to be playing somewhere for multiple nights/gigs and don't have to tear down every night, I have tweed Blues Deluxe, but it ain't light by any means.

14. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

15. gamblort

gamblort NEW MEMBER!

Portable Guitar amp

For something a bit alternative you should check out the JukeCase portable guitar amp by Son Valise. A portable suitcase guitar amp with up to 40 hours playtime (rechargeable batter) and awesome sound, all the way up the range. My friend got one and you can play your backing track via Bluetooth whilst playing guitar/singing over the top. They look awesome too!

Read about it here: JukeCase portable guitar amp

[​IMG]

16. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i love my roland micro cube ( did upgrade it to a larger speaker and finger jointed cab just to make it that much better :D ), so i would go with a larger cube. the suitcase amps look cool. peace.

17. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Big Tony and AirBagTester mentioned Peavey, and that was my first thought as well.

They don't make the Peavey Studio Pro amps anymore, so you'd have to look for used on these, but I've had a couple that were nice amps. The Studio Pro 110 I gave to my son years ago, when he was in need of an amp. It's a teal stripe, meaning it has a teal blue stripe underneath the front panel. It has some of the same circuitry as the TransTube version that followed it, but wasn't badged "TransTube" at the time. 65 watts, Clean and Lead channels with separate EQs for each channel. Lightweight, nice spring reverb. My son still has it, so on rare occasions I get to play through it. I wish I had another one like it.

I also had a first generation "TransTube" version of the Studio Pro 112, the one that was a black box with a silver stripe underneath the font panel. Also 65 watts, and I don't remember offhand how much it weighed, but it was like 9-10 lbs. lighter than my Peavey Bandits, so 30 lbs. or so. Spring reverb and clean tones almost as good as a Bandit.

As for the aforementioned Peavey Envoy, I've had several through the years. One I gave to a prison ministry, one I gave to my younger brother, and one I kept for myself (still have it). They've been in continuous production for decades. The older ones were 35 watts, from the mid-1990s on, 40 watts. Also, the older ones had spring reverb, I'm not sure about the current version of the amp. The current one has two inputs, Clean and Lead channels each with its own 3 band EQ, reverb.

19. Petimar

Petimar Tele-Meister

I like my Quilter Micro Pro 200. The clean sound is terrific. I'm a Jazz player by the way.

Tried the various Cubes and found them sterile compared to the MP.

20. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

I have a PV studio pro 112 which is 65w, two inputs, spring reverb, FX loop and comfortable weight. Nice sound too. These are affordable - mine was $200.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.