1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lightweight Giggable Amp??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sollophonic, May 3, 2011.

1. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

Of course, it's all a series of compromises. Many of the solid state amps suggested will get you the lightest weight possible with decent to great sound. But, if you HAVE to have a tube amp, I can absolutely recommend an Allen Accomplice Jr., 35 watts of beautiful black-face sound, based on the Deluxe Reverb but much more versatile. 38 pounds with a regular speaker, but more like 34 pounds with a Jensen Neo.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

And regrettably not available in the United Kingdom, where the OP is located. Besides, I don't suppose the Peavey Studio Pro with which he's having problems weighs any more than that. Sorry.

3. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

A thread with a title like this one has is pure ZT Lunchbox user bait! Me too...the Lunchbox rocks. Very good clean amp. If you can't afford a ZT, I'd vote for Cube.

4. boosh

boosh Tele-Holic

I've got a Fender Super Champ XD and it is an excellent little amp that I have used for gigging in it's stock form both mic'd and on it's own. Fender list it as 24lbs (10.9kg) so it's fairly light. The optional footswitch opens things up alot, allows you to switch between the excellent clean channel 1 and channel 2 which has 16 voices (I use the overdriven tweed voice No. 3 as an alternative overdriven sound that complements the clean beautifully) and to turn on the effects (I set it up either on the reverb with delay or one of the other delay models). Great little amp, fairly lightweight and is tube driven, have had a blues junior and a hot rod deluxe in the past and much prefer the SCXD to both. Highly recommended by me...if that matters :D

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2331100000

There is a used on on Gumtree in Edinburgh near to me for £150 - might just have to buy a second and an ABY pedal and use them both.

I have also had alot of joy with the Roland Cube amps - solid as rocks, good on-board effects and stellar amp modulation. Seem to be fairly light too, the largest I had was the Cube 30 and it was pretty light (and loud) from memory - Seasick Steve gigs with a Cube 30, set on the mesa emulation model I believe. I have the Cube 20-X in my spare room now, it's excellent for what it is - home practice amp, that I use with headphones as my Dog goes nuts when I play at any sort of volume and live in a flat, so noise can be an issue.

5. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

I traded for a ZT Club for the simple reason with my severe asthma problems most tube amps are a "killer" for me. i DO use a collapsible 2 wheeler when i use my Cube 80X, or my Blues jr. Some may scoff that those amps are not that heavy, but they are if you have physical impairments.

Any way, i've not found much to NOT like about the ZT Club. If you have stuff to trade in, do it. I gather what you have now is unusable for you anyway because of weight.

Above all, protect yourself. You have nothing to prove to anyone by lugging the "big heavies" around.

6. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Its gigging that has made me think more about this I can tell you. My hernia is as a result of where I work, without doubt, building exhibitions three times a year using heavy 8' x 4' boards, and lugging around heavy wooden plinths hasnt helped at all. The days of lugging those things around are over for me anyway.

Starting gigging made me get a bigger amp, until recently a Valve Jnr and a Vox DA5 were all I neede for home use and the odd pub jam.

The Peavey is a nice clean sounding amp, but I use it in about a 1/10 of its power anyway, even onstage with a drummer. I even have it mounted on a sack cart, but at some point you are still going to have to lift it. I reckon that I will have to trade it on.

The ZT looks good, I have been also looking at Roland Cube 30s, as they seem pretty light at 20lbs or so.

The Pathfinder is lighter still, at 17lbs, but Im not sure that it would be loud enough.

For now, I am going to have to use my Valve Jnr, certainly for the next couple of rehearsals.

Mind you I might go under the knife before then. Heres hoping....;)

7. mrtoulouse

mrtoulouse Tele-Meister

i just got myself a 5e3 clone thats supposedly 15 watts :)

At first I thought the headroom was way too limited, but with the guitar in the bright/instr channel on vol 8 and the mic channels vol on 10.5 and tone on 11 there seems to be just the perfect amount for my band context :D I've only played with the band once after i got it though, but at that one session I was never asked to turn down as I usually am, and cut through perfectly.

I like my tone to be JUST breaking up ever so slightly when I hit the strings REALLY hard and guitar vol on 10... I then stomp on a boost for more grind, and roll back for funky clean.

Your preferences might vary, but I can tell you that I have never EVER played an amp this comfortable and natural to play, and everyone in the band agreed that I have never sounded better either :D

As for weight this one is a breeze.. I'm used to my vibrolux and peavey delta blues which werent particularly heavy amps, but this one is like carrying air in comparrison..
    takes pedals well too...

IMO those 15 watts sits in perfectly with a normal volumed rock/blues band.

8. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

In case it's of interest, Electrohill of Palmer's Green, North London, are listing a B-stock ZT Club 12 at the very reduced price of £295 including VAT. Very slight cabinet imperfections but otherwise brand new, boxed and guaranteed. I have no connection with the company other than as a satisfied amp-servicing customer. Here's a link:

http://www.electrohill.co.uk/acatalog/info_0810.html

9. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

how about a roland cube 60 light weight and very loud, lot's of good sound in my cube 60...lol

10. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Another option would be a used subway series amp from Boogie. Heavy with original speaker but can be light with a neo type speaker, and loud and clear.

11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Sollophonic, you could have one built for you. I played a gig with Ali Claudi last month and he had a big amp like 40 watts but very light due to neodym speaker and the wood the (big) case was made of. Ali had his knee injured so I carried the amp for him. It was lighter than my blues jr. and due to the big box (and Alis playing for sure ;-) the amp had a huge clean sound. Can't remember the brand, sorry, but I am sure, every builder in your hometown can help if you explain the situation.

12. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

i've been very happy using an EHX .44 magnum...it will never replace my tube amps, but a cab loaded with a neo and the .44, you're handling about 20lbs.
    i've been using it for a year, never a problem

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I have and do gig a Vox AD30VT, it will cope with bigger valve amps on stage especially if you park it on a chair. I will mention that I have replaced the speaker with a Celestion G10-30 Greenback, which really does make you think it is a 12-in job. I believe the AD30VT is superior to its successors which now have too many kiddie bells and whistles added.
    Small, light, does-everything, and very cheap too.

I have tried the ZT Lunchbox and although it is 200W, I very much doubt the tiny internal speaker could match the shear sound volume of my 2x12 Epi BC30 at full chat - this is exactly the kind of amp the OP is trying to avoid, I had to put castor wheels on mine. The LB needs an ext cab, which defeats the point of the exercise. Btw I have a 300W transistor head in pieces around here somewhere...

14. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

That sounds perfect! I currently run my Princeton 650 into a DI via the effects-out and into the house. I would love to try this amp out setup the same way but through the headphone out. Would save a LOT of wear and tear on my back and knees if the amp is loud enough on it's own to be heard over the drums.

15. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Found a great used deal on a Roland Cube 30?

Does anyone gig with one of these, at 20lbs or so this would class as lightweight?

Or is lightweight also a measure of its tone and should I look out for a Cube 60 or elsewhere?

Thanks

16. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Hey sollophonic, I only own a 60 now but have owned both 30s and 60s. Kept the 60 in the end for the bigger speaker and little bit of extra headroom, but have been mightily impressed by both. The 30 is a very powerful little amp and like all of this range really projects sound due to its closed back. Sounds great too! In some ways i liked the sound of the 30 better than the 60, hard to put my finger on why.. but i dont think youll be disappointed.

17. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

For the Best sound , My opinion is to go with A pathfinder, Superchamp xd, or a very very nice sounding Orange pix 35 LDX , Which I think sounds better than both of the above.

18. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Heya,

I have an EHX .44 Magnum.
    Size of a stomp box .. daamn loud.
    (Well .. 44 watts loud I guess ;) )

That and a compact 10" cab (or not even that maybe, if you know theres a spare cab at the gig space) and a couple of pedals - the .44 is a bit dry by itself, but a nice blank canvas - and you are good to go. Travellin' light!

Or maybe .. VHT Special Six (combo, or better still the small head and the VHT compact 12" cab - i.e. carry separately) is not that much more expensive than a Pathfinder and despite being 'half the wattage' is louder to my ear (I've got both and tried 'em back to back).
    Very cool handwired single ended toob amp the VHT Special 6

Anyhow, hope you get your appointment soon, and get yerself proper sorted!

19. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Nothing to do with this thread, but I just dont get the pathfinder, although lots of folks here always suggest it. Its a nice amp, but not outstanding to me. If you like it, then cool! The cubes are better for my money.

20. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been gigging for over 5 years with a Cube 30. Excellent amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.