1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lightweight Giggable Amp??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sollophonic, May 3, 2011.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Wishing you the best prognosis and general health and outcome, and a good amp too!
    ;)

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's a similar system here in Canada (I didn't have to pay), but I didn't have to wait much, either. I had my hernia surgery last Autumn. Life is much better now -- a hernia makes you feel like an old man! I can lift as much as I used to, but I'm more cautious, now.

3. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I have a ZT Lunchbox and the ZT extension cab (the same size). That packs quite a wallop, but it still helps to run a line from the headphone out to the PA. That's the trick with a small amp...don't try to use it to fill a room on its own. Let the PA help spread the sound. (It doesn't have to be very loud through the PA to achieve it, btw.)

Incidentally, a stereo 3.5mm plug (just the plug, it doesn't have to be connected to a wire) in the 'aux in' input on the back of the Lunchbox boosts the output significantly and gives you more clean headroom.

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R +1x12 Cab that work well together. Some folks have shoe horned a 10" speaker into the 15R Baffle but I just went for the cab which isn't too bad.
    Plenty of Vox chime at 15 watts and am using a "Red Ryder" Eminence 12" speaker. The Pathfinder runs about $100 new and I was able to get the cab and speaker off of CL for $125 so not only light weight to carry but was also easy on the wallet.

5. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I'd love an excuse to buy one of these.
    22 Caliber amp

They make a 44 watt version as well. You can carry that amp in your gig bag. Then just find a lightweight cab.

6. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

the Tweed Twin with 2x12 or a clone. they often come with a solid pine cabinet and light weight speakers. Very light weight amp for the power you get. Or any amp with a solid pine cabinet and 1x12" light magnet speaker (mainly tweed amps or clone tweed amps)should be very light compaired to Multi ply birch or MDF wood cabinets. Any neo type magnet speaker is light weigh and can handle a lot of watts.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Can we agree the lightest 212 tweed twin is still going to approach 45 lb?

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Lightweight giggable amp ?
    Twenty years ago I thought a Twin Reverb was a lightweight amp. I could carry that in one hand and my Les Paul in the other. One trip in vs the half stack I had before.
    Now it's a Tele and a Deluxe Reverb. Twenty years from now I may start using my Vibro Champ.

9. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

The 22 Watt amp pedal sounds like a great alternative.

Heck now I want one!!!!!!

10. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

I agree, the solid pine cabinet small light weight alnico magnet speakers and medium size power trans sure helps cut the weight down to about 45lb.

If you want to go ultra light, the 5e3 tweed deluxe clone is less than 25lbs.

11. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

If you can find a GK 250ml. It is a nice small amp with a great clean channel, and an 80's sounding dirty channel. I don't think you can find a greater watt/weight ratio.

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have a later Gallien-Krueger 206MLE, which certainly does what you say up to a point, but GK micro-amps are far from common in the UK and anyway, in its gig bag with the optional 4-way footswitch and a mains lead, the little beastie is surprisingly heavy.

The Lunchbox is remarkable for its size and weight and with its extension speaker might - I say MIGHT - fulfil your requirements. But in terms of power and loudness for light overall weight, the ZT Club 12 might be a better bet; massively powerful and just 10kg/22 lb.

However, both of the options above will cost around £350 or more. If you can live with a weight of about 14kg/31 lb, a used Roland Cube 60 would be a great, versatile, more than adequately loud and totally giggable choice at what seems to be the current going rate in good nick of about £150.

13. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Well I am from Canada and although Medical appears free on the surface, those taxes can make you feel that it really is not all that free!;)

About the amp, the Pathfinder is a good choice and as someone mentioned, run thru the PA. Or two Pathfiners, better yet but an extra trip to the car and back. They really do have a decent clean tone for a cheap, small amp.

14. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Hummmmmm, Fender Blues Jr too heavy?

15. kovachian

kovachian Tele-Meister

22 pounds. 200 watts. 130 decibels. I don't see any reason to bother with anything else.

[​IMG]

16. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

That looks like the ZT Club 12, at well over $500.00 that might be a reason . . .:D

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have one with an Emi Neo 12" so its under 30LBS, probably too heavy for OP

How about a Pro Jr.? great sounding amp with plenty of volume, or a Super Champ XD?
    Sorry, partial to Fenders ;)

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I got tired of lugging my Twin. This certainly is no Twin but it will easily go toe to toe with a Blues Junior. SCXD with Eminence C-Rex in a 1x12 extension cab. The amp is 24 lbs. and I'm guessing the cab is less than 20 lbs.

[​IMG]

19. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

i just played a very large venue with a Champ XD. i have played small rooms with it not in the PA at all.

20. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Lunchbox with a jackplug in the aux in socket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.