1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lightweight Giggable Amp??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sollophonic, May 3, 2011.

1. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Is there such a thing?

Been advised to not do any heavy lifting as a result of a hernia, yet still want to keep gigging.

I am currently using a Peavey Studio Pro, which while nowhere near Twin Reverb weight,is still a bit on the heavy side.

I have it mounted on a sack cart,but you still have to lift it to get it upstairs, onto stages,onto chairs and in and out of vehicles.

Looking for a light, but loud clean amp for gigging and practicing with in a soul covers band, not too pricey,or available used.

Have looked into a Vox Pathfinder but not sure how weighty they are?

Anyone with any other suggestions?

2. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

ZT Lunchbox? Meets your criteria for weight and good output, though ive never tried one.

Pathfinder not enough clean headroom for your application IMO, irrelevant if youve got good PA I suppose.

3. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Or tech 21 trademark 30 used as a monitor and DI'd into the PA through the XLR out, Ive walked to gigs half a mile away carrying one.. and Im fairly wimpy!!!

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely check out a Lunchbox. Sounds bigger than it is. Loud enough to gig and sounds good. I use mine for rehearsal, mostly, and it's great. Walk in with guitar in one hand and the Lunchbox in a bag slung over my shoulder.

5. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

Princeton reverb is great for an amp. A modelling pedal into the PA if the amp is too big. have fun, Wayne

6. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You certainly don't get a better volume/size ratio than with the lunchbox. Definitely worth checking out.

7. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

Also have difficulty lifting and carrying heavy stuff too. I put a Jensen 30 watt 8" speaker in my little, light weight, Gdec Junior (really increased the volume and efficiency) and used it at a Jam in a bar with a pretty loud drummer, harp player, bass and 2nd guitar. It held up suprisingly well on the tweed and blackface settings. A few people thought I was in a Blues Junior.(they look similar). A speaker upgrade would probably make a Champ or Vibro Champ giggable. The Phil Jones Cub is nice and weighs only about 11 lbs...comes with a shoulder bag. Good clean headroom. Recently got a used Polytone Mega Brute (about 22 lbs)...8" speaker..good loud, warm, clean jazz tone. Funnily enough the Gdec Junior sounds almost the same on the Jazz setting. Alot of people seem to like the Lunchbox. I tried one but it didn't ring my bells. Speaker rattled a little at high volume, maybe because it was used and had been overplayed.
    Swang on,

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Whatever you do, get a neodynmium 12 guitar speaker.
    Take a load off manny

9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

10. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would recomend the Roland Cube range.

The 15W weighs just 8Kg, while the top of the range 80W is 14Kg.

I use the a 30W and have never had probelems with gigging in bands of up to 9 players.

Togman.

11. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Is there a maximum weight/size? Fender DR or PR come to mind. I also think the Neo speaker is a great idea.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

When I read the title of your thread (Lightweight Giggable Amp??), I clicked on it, thinking first of my Vox Pathfinder 15R and secondly of my black box/silver stripe Peavey Studio Pro.

I haven't suffered a hernia, so to me my Studio Pro isn't that heavy, at least not compared to my Bandits. But since that's what you have and it's currently a bit too heavy for your needs, then I recommend the Pathfinder.

Weight-wise, Vox lists it as 8Kg/17.7lbs. On my bathroom scale, it weighs in at 18.6 lbs. The PF15R is wonderfully light to me, and compact, very "giggable." In fact, it has become my go-to amp for gigs where I take my Teles. I've played it with and without mic-ing it. For a couple of my small venues, it carries well, particularly if I am playing solo or with just another guitarist. Whenever I've played with a drummer and another guitarist, the amp's been mic-ed.

As for clean headroom, I can only speak to my own application. Again, small venues, 2-3 dozen people. I've played a couple of outdoor/patio settings, and some indoor settings, coffee shops, etc. I tweak the amp's Gain and Volume according to the room, and according to the guitar I'm using.

For my Logan Custom Tele with a P-90 neck pup, the loudest I've ever had it is Gain at 3 o'clock, Volume at 9 o'clock, controls dimed out on the Tele. Nice and clean through the bridge single coil and in middle position. When I played at those settings through the P-90 alone, it emulated just the start of breakup, just a little bit of hair to the tone. And that was just fine for my purposes. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

What about one of those crate power blocks ??

14. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

A Crate Power Block (not made anymore, but available on ebay.) About 170 pounds money (don't have a UK Pounds symbol on my keyboard, sorry). There are other lightweight power amps available as well.

Have someone make you an open-back speaker box out of 1/2" (more or less) plywood. It won't last forever, but it will be considerably lighter than 3/4" plywood, particle board, or MDF.

Use a neodymium speaker, say an Eminence Tonkerlite.

Put something like a Pod or a Tech21 Sansamp in front of the amplifier to color it.

This combination won't necessarily be the best sounding rig in the world, but it should be serviceable. You'd have to make several trips to load in/load out.

On the hernia, my father suffered with one for years, just wouldn't get it taken care of. He paid the price in pain, I can tell you. Finally got it taken care of in his sixties. I think he probably put up with it so he could help put me through college, God bless him. Get yourself straightened out as soon as you can manage it.

15. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

ZT Lunchbox!

16. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

I gig regularly with the lunchbox but I always use the ext cab with it. Still two or those little lunchboxes is smaller than a "regular" sized combo amp. One speaker always gets mic'd. Last week the sound guy when direct through board from the headphone out and I used the two 6.5" speakers, and spread them out about 4 feet from each other, for the stage. Worked out really well.

17. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Just get a couple groupies to carry it for you.

18. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

There is also the possibility of your innard's getting blood circulation cut off. Having sections you may need die and have to be removed along with the hernia operation.. not good.

I mention this as my wife works in a surgery center and it is not uncommon as you might think with neglected hernias to end up MUCH worse, including gangrenous bowl and or liver as a result of blood circulation having been cut off.

Sorry for the picture, but mention worthy...

19. chuck_zc

chuck_zc Tele-Meister

Friend of mine bought a Marshall Class 5. Put up on a chair that thing'll rip your face off!!

20. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Oh dont worry, I know the risks of this, I am trying to get myself lined up for surgery or at least on a "waiting and watching" list that we have in the UK. Whereas we dont neccessarily have to pay over here, we often have to wait. I am seeing a doc tomorrow. Hopefully they can get something lined up, and give me some short term relief as well.

Thanks for the advice about amps folks, I am looking into some of them now.

That ZT Lunchbox looks really cute

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.