LIGHTWEIGHT COMBO AMP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ChrisLarcombe, Sep 13, 2021.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, but it does weigh about the same as the Deluxe Reverb he has.... The Deluxe has lush tremelo and spring reverb. The JC Tremelo is weird to my ears.

2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, I also have the Superblock (US) - that one with a light cab - like these: https://www.toob.fi/products-toob-10s-12s - might also be an option.

PhredE likes this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

A custom made pine box with a high efficiency Neo speaker would probably also work well too.

Edit: ..In addition to something like the Quilter Superblock amp head.

41144 likes this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You might consider the Fender Champ XD or XS. I have the XD and love it for its versatility, mod ability, and it's fairly light weight. You should be able to get into one of these on the used market for 150 quid or there abouts... good luck!

5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Just a suggestion..

It might help you zero in on your target if we knew:
    a). Budget constraint(s), and,
    b). Weight limit

Also, knowing something about the style/situation it is to be used would help and also perhaps how much max power or clean headroom you would need potentially.

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Vox ac10 c1 might be worth checking out if you want a tube amp.. it's about 12kg. Fairly small too which makes carrying easy. I don't know about you but it's not just about the weight it's about how cumbersome it is to lug around. Only a 10" speaker though and not masses of loud clean headroom.

EDIT I just had a look on ebay to check prices and if you live anywhere near Seaford there's one on ebay right now "as new, used twice at home" for £275 (or make offer) collect in person.

Rmccamey likes this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's probably because it doesn't have tremolo. It has chorus. And vibrato.

I don't do kg. He's looking for ~15kg. The JC40 is 15.5 kg give or take.

It's fine if you don't like the JC40. What do I care. But criticizing it for weird "tremolo" and being "super heavy" are both off base, IMO.

davidchagrin and stantheman like this.
  8. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Have a Look at DV Mark 1x12 combos, like the little 40 or the Frank Gambale. They should bei fairly cheap on the used market, weight around 13kg with neodymium speakers.

I'm personally using a Galileo 15 head + speaker box. Makes a great pedal platform

PhredE likes this.
  9. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Vox MV50 head will fit one one of your other bags then just find a lightweight speaker cabinet of the size you want ... depending how much you want to spend (you're Midlands based) get someone like John Brelliott to build you one?

I know, not a combo, but presume the portability issue is top-trumps here?

PhredE likes this.
  10. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Headrush recently released the MX5. I picked one up, never having any kind of multieffects processor like that. I've always been 9 pedal analog pedalboard into tube amps of different flavors. Well, I wanted to downsize and saw the MX5. HOMG!!! That's all I need it. It has headphone out and aux in. And for travelling, that's all I take.

11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

It's 42 lb, actually - OP is carting a Deluxe Reverb around on public transit. It's no Super, but I can see how that would not be a ton of fun.

The lightest solution is going to be modeling direct to PA, like a Helix, or a Tech21. Second best is a class D head, either pedalboard style (Quilter, Orange, Milkman, etc.) or one of those little Vox heads, and a lightweight 112 or 110 cab.
    Next step up in weight but more traditional setup is a super light combo, like the Quilter Aviator Cub, Fender Tonemaster Deluxe, or a Katana 50 if you are on a budget. I'm sure there are others.

PhredE likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes vibrato.... which is probably why I dont like that feature... pitch shifting. I like the JC40 for a SS amp, just dont like the weight and price for 40 watts of SS.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  13. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

Fender Super-Sonic 22 combo is quite versatile, and only weighs 16 kg. If you replaced the speaker with a Celestion Neo, it would be less than 15 kg.

14. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting that. Interesting.

It's design uses some (relatively..) unconventional characteristics:

* It uses plastic for it's enclosure
    * It's speaker is a co-axial unit (probably a whizzer cone added to a more standard guitar type driver)
    * The cabinet is sealed and ported (probably necessary to squeak out a maximum of low-end from an 8" driver).

Price is good, feature set is good (hope the amp emulations are decent too).
    Unconventional, but forward thinking. :)

16. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Aviator Cub. Tons of Fender like clean headroom .

PhredE and RomanS like this.
  17. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

18. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Definitely unconventional.....believe me I had my doubts when I ordered it, but not after putting it through its paces. You'll notice that they essentially took their 15-watt modeling amp with the same chassis and enclosure and beefed it up with a 50-watt power amp and presumably a speaker with the capacity to handle the watts. The Vox Cambridge 50 seems to be the identical chassis in an open-back wood cabinet with a 12" Celestion; "shipping weight" is listed as 24 lbs. I did some modifications to mine: It comes with an external power supply (similar to what you'd use with a laptop) which I mounted internally and used a conventional power socket. I don't recommend this mod 'cause there's the possibility of cracking the cabinet 'cause you've compromised its integrity. Yep it's plastic, but have you noticed how many speaker and monitor setups are plastic these days? I also added a 1/4" extension speaker jack and converted the 1/8" stereo Aux input to a 1/4" mono jack. Also got rid of those weird "S-shaped" knobs and put chicken-heads in. Have played bars with a 4-piece band with this & never turned the master up above about half....I plug my Roland GR-30 into the "aux" input and the guys in the band were amazed at how well the organ, horn, string etc. patches were projecting. It's a goodie.

PhredE likes this.
  19. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

From cafe gigs to full stage
    Amps that take the public transport ride with me are….
    Fender Champion 20
    Roland cube 40
    Quilter pro block in the quilter tb10 speaker box
    Quilter 101 with a Vox night train cab w a Celestion 12” neo speaker.
    dolly trolley a must.
    Keep your footprint small as possible to avoid folks tripping over your gear or it all falling over.

20. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

A Marshall full stack? Oops, sorry, I was thinking of things that would be entertaining to see someone try to get onto a train. :D

So Fender Tonemaster Deluxe is my real suggestion…

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.