Lightning Strikes!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bgmacaw, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Our area was hammered last night. More so than most times. In the last three or four years the intensity of summer storms has increased dramatically. Several times we have watched lightning strikes that looked like strobe lights on the horizon, and watched it walk into our area. The thunder sounding like an intense artillery barrage that would go for hours.

Raleigh, NC area.

Glad no one was hurt. +1 on hopes your insurance company works with and that all damage is found before settling up.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, I have three ground rods from the house and shop and grounded the metal roofs directly to them. Plus I added a ground rod next to my hydro plant after I read that the 300' double 4-gauge cables going to the house is like a lightning antenna. Being off the grid, I also mounted a very large lightning fuse at the circuit breaker box.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

What is a lightning fuse?
    The lightning itself will jump big gaps, obviously. Protection against lesser surges caused by lightning striking nearby?

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This makes me wanna cosign on Ringo Starr's application to move to Texas

I will not explain that. Look it up if you must

5. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

radiocaster and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. Obsessed

IMG_4051.JPG
    I use the term "fuse" loosely, "arrester" is the proper term. It is a device mounted at your breaker box that absorbs massive surges before hitting the circuit breakers. The issue is lightning is so fast that the beakers cannot react fast enough. These absorb great amounts of energy, which absorbs enough of the lightning strike to allow the circuit breakers to do their job. They are designed to last a lifetime of surges, but I have seen one destroyed by a hit, but nevertheless protected everything inside their house. I do have a gigantic old fashion fuse too that is about 4" long. I live up high on a mountain where trees nearby have been set ablaze from lightning strikes about every fourth summer, so along with these two devices and three ground rods (plus a fourth at my hydro electric plant) I have only suffered one fried diode at the hydro plant so far.

perttime likes this.
  7. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Glad you're OK - that could've been nasty.

8. Piggy Stu

Hey: this is the internet, not a place to go posting interesting useful facts

Do you want to edit your post, so it is a boring irrelevant string of nonsense?

rangercaster and Obsessed like this.
  9. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I did similar work years ago and to the best of my memory the GoodTexan is essentially correct. Problem is that the installation of the ground rod and the bonding/grounding of the home's electrical, telephone and cable services is often times not done to code and therefore doesn't provide sufficient protection. Here's some Q&A from NY State but obviously one should check into what their specific location code requires.

http://www.dps.ny.gov/gbcs_Comments_Questions_and_Answers.html

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When I was in the USAF, we were flying back from California to Abilene Texas. The thunder-heads in West Texas can sometimes top at over 50,000 feet. As we were flying we encountered two fronts about to close that would have required us to go south to the Gulf of Mexico and come back from the Eastern side. There was about a 50 mile gap and the pilot decided we could get through. As we passed between this giant doorway, there was a giant shelf of clouds on the other side hundreds of miles long and almost as wide we had to skirt. It was amazingly gorgeous to see. There was visible lightning striking downwards from the cloud shelf. Almost as soon as we got under it we took a strike on the nose of the aircraft. The big nose (Radome) on a C-130 carries the radar and other specialized communication electronics; some of which were knocked out. We made it to Abilene safely but it was scary and the whole cockpit lit up like the Sun.

11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Oh! Glad it wasn't worse.

12. Obsessed

Oops, I forgot. Always fly a kite with a key on the end of the string during a lightning storm to avoid the house from getting a direct hit.

Yup, tone is all in the fretboard material too.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

When my brothers and I built a house for our mom thirty years ago, city code required us to drive a metal rod five or six feet into ground near where electric meter and service entered the house.....NOT as lightning protection, but simply as ground for the entire house. Seems that in the "old days", when everyone had galvanized pipe for plumbing, it was acceptable to simply ground to an outside faucet. But with so many houses now having PVC and PEX, our plumbing is no longer a reliable way to ground. After we had "pounded" that rod in, the inspector saw we had copper pipes, and said oh!....the rod wasn't necessary. What he didn't consider was the water line coming from the meter was PVC.....and since the house was on piers, there was NO contact with "ground".
    Sorry if anyone is a local building inspector, but that whole experience left me with ZERO respect for any of them.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Glad that the damage isn't too bad and that the house didn't catch fire or anything worse. I have a lot of respect for lightning. Still, I love to watch it when storms come through. When I lived in Tucson we had some amazing storms. I just don't want to get hit.

15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Turns out I lost a pedal the same night as horrific storm, just a single pedal on the front of my loop, don't know if it was because of lightning or not, if it was the only thing, we got off being very blessed - unfortunately I loved that Holy Grail by Electro Harmonics, Neo.

16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

We had storms roll through yesterday afternoon and the power is still not on.

Better than a direct hit.

17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I buried 2000' (about 4 acres) of boundary fence wire for my dogs. It's real fun tracking down the break when that gets hit.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Scarey! Glad yer ok.
    Guess i'm lucky, lightning strikes only close enough to startle the crap outta me but no close hits. Amazing what it can do.

19. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

The old golfer joke was that if you were caught in a lightning storm, just grab your one-iron and hold it over your head pointed at the sky ... Because everybody knows even God can't hit a one-iron ...

Milspec and Piggy Stu like this.
  20. Piggy Stu

Holy Grail hit by lightning?

No religion!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.